Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? (/Thread-Buying-new-machine-maintenance-tips-please)

Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - Benzi - 05-03-2022

Having given up on removing the smell from my Resmed S9, I've ordered an S10. I don't want to clean it too much or too little so I don't have a repeat of my experience with the S9. 

Are there any "accepted" guidelines for how to clean, how often, and with what?

And anything else I should know about the new device?

Thanks!

RE: Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - upsman - 05-03-2022

I think everybody has their own cleaning routine, so you're likely to get tons of different replies. 

Personally, I take the minimalist approach. Keep it simple. 
I wipe the mask cushions daily (almost) with a CPAP wipe. 
I refill my humidifier reservoir every other day with distilled water. I will wipe it with a wipe or if I'm feeling particularly spunky, use soap and water about weekly. 
If I remember, I will take the hose in the shower with me about every 6 months or so and swish some hot, soapy water through it and rinse. Hang to dry while I use my spare. 
I replace the machine filter about every 6 months or so. Note that I do have an air purifier in the bedroom which keeps things pretty clean. 

I've been following this routine for over 10 years and haven't had any problems. 

It really just depends on your level of keeping things clean. I think most people overdo it with cleaning, but that's just me.  Cool

RE: Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - Gideon - 05-03-2022

DO NOT USE OZONE!!!
Filter replacement is when required and depends heavily on your environment. California in Fire season as little as a day, to as long as a year, and that may in some cases be a why not replacement.
WIth hard water dump and rinse your humidifier daily, an occasional rinse with dilute vinegar when a mineral scale develops. With Distilled water a much longer period can be used. Is a biofilm develops (it is safe and will happen) it is a good idea to wash with mild soap and water and dry out. ANY water that you would drink is ok to use.
Masks, wipe the surface with a mask wipe daily. Some don't do it nearly that often.
Hose, Rinse and hang dry. lasts for years, that is unless the cat gets to it.

RE: Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - Benzi - 05-04-2022

(05-03-2022, 04:19 PM)Gideon Wrote: DO NOT USE OZONE!!!
Filter replacement is when required and depends heavily on your environment.  California in Fire season as little as a day, to as long as a year, and that may in some cases be a why not replacement.
WIth hard water dump and rinse your humidifier daily, an occasional rinse with dilute vinegar when a mineral scale develops.  With Distilled water a much longer period can be used. Is a biofilm develops (it is safe and will happen) it is a good idea to wash with mild soap and water and dry out.  ANY water that you would drink is ok to use.
Masks, wipe the surface with a mask wipe daily.  Some don't do it nearly that often.
Hose, Rinse and hang dry.  lasts for years, that is unless the cat gets to it.

Thanks guys.

CPAP wipes aren't easily found in my end of the woods. What can I use instead?

RE: Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - OpalRose - 05-04-2022

Baby wipes, unscented.

RE: Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - Benzi - 05-04-2022

(05-04-2022, 07:30 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Baby wipes, unscented.

Thanks!

RE: Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - Ozcelt - 06-29-2022

Hi from Australia.
Look, I'm too mean to buy the "special" CPAP wipes. I've always used alcohol wipes. These are different to baby wipes, but they are the ones used in hospitals for general clean-ups, and the alcohol definitely is a more effective disinfectant than baby wipes. Not sure about the US, but with COVID, all hand-lotions in Australia must contain 70% minimum alcohol content if they are claiming to be effective disinfectants - so, evidently, alcohol is a good thing (compared to the mushy claims of a lot of baby wipes).
In truth, I suspect a good quality alcohol wipe is probably MORE effective as a mask cleaner than most bespoke mask cleaner wipes - or, at least as good.
I've been doing this for seven years, and never had an issue with my masks. 
Hope this helps.

RE: Buying new machine; maintenance tips please? - YipeekiOH - 06-29-2022

I have been following instructions in the user guides provided by the manufacturer as they provide them for a reason. I do this with most things I buy.