Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New User Help With P10 - Air Coming Out Mouth - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New User Help With P10 - Air Coming Out Mouth (/Thread-New-User-Help-With-P10-Air-Coming-Out-Mouth)

New User Help With P10 - Air Coming Out Mouth - JohnHornbuckle - 05-19-2022

Hello,

So, I have only been using on CPAP therapy since January and up until last night I have been alternating between the Dreamwear Full Face and Airtouch F20 masks. They both have issues that only allow me to wear one for a few nights in a row. The F20 has to be so tight to keep a seal that it leaves a bright red mark at the top of my nose that lasts all day and gets very sore after a few days use. The Dreamwear FFM rubs the bottom of my nose between my nostrils raw after a few days of use. 

I decided to try a nasal mask, so last night I tried out the Resmed P10 (while also using a chin strap) and I thought I was in heaven. The mask was comfortable, the airflow was perfect, and the straps were very minimal. I had no problem falling asleep. Fast forward to later in the night/early morning, I got in this rhythm that kept me awake where my cheeks puffed up like a chipmunk until my lips popped open just enough to let the air out and then it would start all over again. Nothing I did would get it to stop doing this and I have no idea why it only happened after I slept for several hours.

Anyone else ever have this problem and have any ideas to make this work or am I just not designed to use a nasal mask? I am so upset because the mask was so minimal and comfortable. 

I am posting my OSCAR data from last night as well (I do not know how to make sense of it). There is a big break in the graph because I tried the mask on earlier in the afternoon when it came in the mail. My AHI has been under 1.0 every night since I started CPAP therapy regardless of what mask I use. 

[attachment=42334]

RE: New User Help With P10 - Air Coming Out Mouth - CorruptAlligator - 05-19-2022

I'm guessing you're sleeping on your back later on in the morning, and that causes greater flow limitations, and the machine is responding to flow limitations by increasing pressure, and at a certain pressure level, the air flow from the machine overcomes your tongue's blocking of this air, breaking through, and air fills your mouth. Likely happen at a certain pressure level and while you are in REM sleep with your muscles relaxed.

I would try everything to keep your flow limitations low so that the machine doesn't push so much air when it senses signficant enough flow limitations. Perhaps, trying stay asleep on your side or wear a cervical collar to see if it reduces your flow limitations. Or try capping the max lower, and test. And keep lowering it tiny bit every night until air doesn't fill your mouth. Start with capping at 13. Either it's your leak contributing or leaks is result of high pressure at high enough flow limitations. Try to manage your leaks to see if it helps as well.

I can get away with fixed pressure so I keep it fixed on 8.6. 9 or higher, air will go through my mouth during REM.