Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cervical Collar Question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cervical Collar Question (/Thread-Cervical-Collar-Question)

Pages: 1 2

Cervical Collar Question - GoliGoli - 06-29-2022

Hi all, I searched to see if this question had already been answered but didn't find a definitive answer. Do any side/stomach sleepers use the cervical collars? Most of the pictures I see of them being used show people sleeping on their backs. Are any particular products better for side/stomach sleepers? I fluctuate between side and stomach throughout the night.

Thanks

RE: Cervical Collar Question - Synestheat - 06-29-2022

I prefer to sleep on my side and sometimes unintentionally end up on my back. After reading through the soft cervical collar wiki and some reviews, I followed the directions for measuring and ordered one. It took a few nights to get used to it, but it has helped me considerably because I believe I had a bad habit of tucking my chin.

Another consideration you may need to address once you have the soft cervical collar is your pillow. If it is too thick, it is going to bend your entire neck and may very well be uncomfortable. The pillow I use has adjustable fill so this wasn't an issue for me.

Finally, make sure a soft cervical collar and your mask won't interfere with one another. I have to put my full-face mask (FFM) on first then put on the collar.

I hope this helps.

RE: Cervical Collar Question - Dormeo - 06-29-2022

I'm a side-sleeper and use a collar from time to time. No problems. Be sure the collar is tight enough to keep your jaw up but loose enough to fit a couple of fingers between the collar and your neck.

RE: Cervical Collar Question - GoliGoli - 06-29-2022

(06-29-2022, 04:47 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I'm a side-sleeper and use a collar from time to time.  No problems.  Be sure the collar is tight enough to keep your jaw up but loose enough to fit a couple of fingers between the collar and your neck.

Do you happen to know which brand you use?

RE: Cervical Collar Question - Dormeo - 06-29-2022

It’s Doctor Dakota, unfortunately out of production these days.

RE: Cervical Collar Question - GoliGoli - 06-29-2022

(06-29-2022, 07:09 PM)Dormeo Wrote: It’s Doctor Dakota, unfortunately out of production these days.

Hm according to the website its just out of stock not out of production? Or did you hear otherwise?

RE: Cervical Collar Question - CorruptAlligator - 06-29-2022

I use ones sold by Walgreens. It worked the best for me. It's standard size, and it fits me fine.

RE: Cervical Collar Question - SideSleeper - 06-29-2022

I sleep entirely on my right side and have used a soft cervical collar for a few years. Mine is a Bell-Horn brand. Got it first at a local pharmacy, but different size later at Amazon. Now hard to find there--a few years back they had a measurement table for height and neck size.

RE: Cervical Collar Question - SevereApnea - 07-01-2022

Hi there GoliGoli

"Most of the pictures I see of them being used show people sleeping on their backs."

Marketing, you gotta love it! Sheez!

I wear my collar every night, the cheapo foam one from the local shop down the road, either M or L size,

I mostly wake up to discover that I am sleeping on my left or right side. After all, I can't say "I will use my collar only when I am in such and such a position when asleep!"

Most important, the collar is to help prevent/reduce excessive neck flexion which can cause airways narrowing/obstruction, and cause the PAP machine to read that as flow restrictions and then ramp up the pressure. The idea is to help prevent flow limitations, rather than wait for it to occur and then rely on the machine to respond and treat it. No amount of PAP machine pressure can overcome the degree of airways obstruction that occurs from excessive neck flexion, or for that matter flexion + rotation + lateral flexion.

Analogy: CPR rule #! extend the neck! Open the airway! If not, no amount of bagging or any amount of oxygen will help.

Remember, even if you are sleeping on your side, especially in a flexed foetal position (e.g. to keep warm whatever) that too can be a contributing factor to airways narrowing.

Don't know about stomach sleeping but I would guess that although your neck won't be flexed forward, it would still have to be rotated to one side to allow you to breathe, even laterally flexed if your pillow is too thick, and so I would still see a role for the neck collar. Let us know how you go!

RE: Cervical Collar Question - Dormeo - 07-01-2022

(06-29-2022, 07:37 PM)GoliGoli Wrote: Hm according to the website its just out of stock not out of production? Or did you hear otherwise?

Unfortunately they've been saying that for a long time now.  But you can check back from time to time to see what's going on.  I really like this collar.  It's a bit firmer than most, and I can adjust it so it supports my lower jaw by mainly touching just the tip of my chin.  If you ever get one and have any issues with the strap in back, I can suggest a little hack using needle and thread.