Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME (/Thread-DRY-MOUTH-WAKING-ME)

Pages: 1 2

DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - MCS2014 - 08-08-2022

Bouts of dry mouth are occurring more frequently and interrupting my sleep cycle. I am unable to determine if the dry mouth is due to breathing through the mouth or if it's the air pressure coming up from my rear sinuses into my mouth. My ResMed shows zero mask leaks. I am using a chinstrap. Mouth taping does not work for me at all.

Thoughts?

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - OpalRose - 08-08-2022

Two things... you mouth/jaw is dropping open at night and air is rushing out.

Dry mouth can also occur from not enough humidity.

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - Sleepster - 08-08-2022

(08-08-2022, 01:02 AM)MCS2014 Wrote: I am unable to determine if the dry mouth is due to breathing through the mouth or if it's the air pressure coming up from my rear sinuses into my mouth.

If you have obstructive sleep apnea and are wearing a nasal mask, you can't be breathing through your mouth. Air behind your mouth must stay there to maintain the pressure splint need for you to be able to breathe through your nose.

I'd need to see some leak rate graphs. Likely, switching to a full face mask will fix your problem.

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - MCS2014 - 08-08-2022

(08-08-2022, 04:02 PM)Sleepster Wrote: If you have obstructive sleep apnea and are wearing a nasal mask, you can't be breathing through your mouth. Air behind your mouth must stay there to maintain the pressure splint need for you to be able to breathe through your nose.

I'd need to see some leak rate graphs. Likely, switching to a full face mask will fix your problem.
I cannot tolerate a full face mask which is why I am using a nasal mask.

[Image: JMFcAXF.jpg]

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - Filbert - 08-08-2022

Dry mouth could be related to different conditions, including simple ageing.  There is also Sjogren's syndrome which is a medical condition.  I am 77, use a CPAP and I put one or two xylitol unflavoured "mints" between my lower teeth and my cheek when I go to bed and the moisturising effect lasts most or all of the night.  Reapply if I wake up and if needed.  Not expensive and no side effects or complications.  Lasts longer than sprays or gels for me.

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - jeffames226 - 08-08-2022

Just tape you mouth shut with a hole small enough to still breathe thru your mouth thru if you need too. That fixed my dry mouth and waking up from choking too.

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - MCS2014 - 08-08-2022

(08-08-2022, 11:38 PM)jeffames226 Wrote: Just tape you mouth shut with a hole small enough to still breathe thru your mouth thru if you need too.  That fixed my dry mouth and waking up from choking too.

Tried that several times, doesn't work for me at all.

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - jdmedic - 01-02-2024

Where do you get gels, sprays and/or mouth tape?

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - OpalRose - 01-02-2024

Almost anywhere...Amazon, Walmart, etc. Any Pharmacy.

RE: DRY MOUTH WAKING ME - Sleepster - 01-02-2024

(01-02-2024, 09:58 AM)jdmedic Wrote: Where do you get gels, sprays and/or mouth tape?

Any drug store. I recommend Lansinoh salve. Find it in the baby aisle. It's marketed as a salve for nursing mothers, but it works well for nasal pillows masks (the kind that fit inside your nostrils). I don't recommend taping, so I don't have a recommendation for that.