Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Off-grid Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Off-grid Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) (/Thread-Equipment-Off-grid-Battery-Powered-CPAP-my-new-out-of-box-cheap-setup)

Pages: 1 2

Off-grid Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - mumin50 - 08-23-2022

Hi All CPAP people.
(disclaimer- im not native English speaker so some mistakes can occur) 
(disclaimer2 - i'm not sponsored by anybody, I wish i would... Yes is to You XTPower) 
(disclaimer3- if you folow my post and do same i don't take any responsibility for your equipment and any loses you may experience, do on your own risk)

I just realised that i can't sleep without my machine anymore, but also I can’t afford another travel cpap.
Probably with 12V or 24v you can stay alive with just DC-DC converter and extra battery.  
After my 3y on Airsense 10 there is a moment that you need to plan for longer travel where you probably will not have access to power... Or get 5v max. 

So I decided to go battery operated travel solution and this tread is about my attempt to do battery operated and perhaps off-grid...
I already started... so what i did till now and why.
I’m a DIY-er so having some electronic background, but I’m scared to play with my CPAP, it is my life saver so this time I decided to use components from shelf.

First I did some research on what battery I need.
I need minimum of 7h of sleep 
my working pressure is 7-12 cmH2O
On travel I don’t really need humidifier (if needed I can put a wet towel near my machine )

So according to resmed  
BATTERY GUIDE

document for my power usage will be between 0,79 – 1.06A, so to make it safe constant 1.1A for 7hours, that makes ~8Ah power I need. To make it safe knowing that all power banks have some efficiency lose and DC-to DC converting also causes some losses I said I need 16AH power bank capable of ~30W of constant power.

And You Know what I found one that make my head go boom  Too-funny
I introduce to You XTPower XT-27000DC-AO-PA (google it You will love it Coffee )
Why it is special? It can spit out 24V (DC out) with 80W output (boom) with battery capacity of 26,8Ah(boom).
[attachment=44083]
So NO(!) DC-DC converter needed (boom) Tongue Total capacity is 99Wh so it can go in to plane (BOOOM) Laugh-a-lot
But that is not all. As it is a buffer battery you can charge it and discharge it in same time.
So connect it to 5v (in train, plane, etc)input and cpap on output and your battery will stay longer alive.

Great charging capabilities. With given 230V(EU) I charge it in 2,5h. With USB-C(15W) phone charger it takes 6h. But there is also possibility to connect it to Solar panel DC plug 14-20V (45W) max so probably.
Of course it has small display to show not only % left but also how many Wats are drawn.
[attachment=44084]
Bonus feature it is a power bank also capable of charging my phone and laptop (5,6,9,12,14,15,16,19,20,24V setings) (boom), endpieces included, and if you need extra one that fits you just order from producer(boom)  Cool

OK. So, I think battery is in theory arranged.

Now we all can be happy… not so easy Sad
I needed still a proper cable to connect it to my CPAP.
I took my original power supply and started to check what plug I need and what is on that plug.
I found on forum info that this plug is 7.4mm x 5mm 3 pin plug, and that it needs 24v +, ground and 3.3V on middle pin. I confirmed that by measuring my own power supply.
There are some end pieces for that power bank included, but after connecting and checking 3 of them (ordered extra 2 for testing from power bank producer) i measured 0V on first and 6,8V on second 13V on third. So, none of those were usable for me…  

So 24v we have but where to take 3.3v? Of, course You can make small voltage divider, add step down voltage regulator, or like said by forum add 2.7Kohm resistor in series and done, but as I said NO DIY.

So I ordered P24R10DC online so called ”
SHORT DC OUTPUT CABLE TO USE WITH RESMED AIRSENSE10 SERIES POWER ADAPTER”
It is hard to come by as company is not willing to sell it directly, but I found one shop in Australia that has it on stock, or if you know someone with this producer battery just ask them for serial number of battery and you can order one directly.
It just came and after measuring it on power bank YES i have 24+, ground and 3.3V  Rolling laugh 
So that’s it my out of box CPAP ResMed A10 power bank.  
[attachment=44086]
Tonight is testing time, I hope for minimum 6h of sleep, i will be happy with 7 and if i can charge my phone also i will be extreem happy.
I post test results and any comments are welcome

RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - Crimson Nape - 08-23-2022

Hi mumin50!  -  Welcome
There are several threads on this subject here.  I have listed some of them below.  

Threads:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Battery-for-Travel
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Proprietary-Jack-24VDC-PS-to-Airsense-10
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-My-battery-backup-setup

I use a KFD 12/24 DC-DC Power Supply sold on Amazon. This will allow you to use a battery directly.  For me, it is 1/3 the price of the Resmed DC-DC power supply. This item may not be available in your country.

- Red

RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - mumin50 - 08-23-2022

Thx for tips. 
I spend already some time serching for proper solution. 
Yes there are ready cpap bateries,  but they cost minimum 500Euro in Europe, and i need to fly So maximum 99Wh. If it works than im happy.  If it will be only 5h i can get 2 of those and i still will be below 250E, as my setup costs me for now 140euro.

That is why i started to think on out of box solution for myself that i can reuse in time i don't travel.
I travel like that 3-4 time a year So spending 500euro is overkill, but if i can use it also as phone /laptop charger that is money well spent.

RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - mumin50 - 08-23-2022

Fast update.  Connected and working starting test
[attachment=44090]
Started with 94% now 1h later with presure 7cmH2O 88%.  Just mask on reading book. 
So is time to sleep  Sleep-well

RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - Crimson Nape - 08-23-2022

Turn the humidifier off to prolong the run time. Also, put it in Airplane mode too.

RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - mumin50 - 08-24-2022

Good morning.
I'm back.  I call it success  Coffee
[attachment=44099]
10h Total usage,  2h reading 7cmH2O  and 8h of sleep 7-12cmH20 and battery  is still on 28% Banana

So probably still like 2h more of sleep or full phone charge. Way-to-happy
Ok,  so tonight i do second test.  Charge it to full and try to do cpap and phone at same time. 
So probably if used like this i could be able to get 2 nights out of it (2x 6-7h).
I'm also curious if connecting it to usb charging and using cpap at same time can make that time longer. Like adding second powerbank that charge this one... 
We will see soon Thinking-about

RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - mumin50 - 08-25-2022

Ok had small delay on testing.  But tonight is 2nd night on my battery powered resmed a10. 
This time im charging it to 100% and will connect to it cpap and my phone.  Currently my phone is ~20%.

So let see what i can post tommorow. 
Good night

RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - RNeil - 08-26-2022

I am sure the OP's English is much better than my German. But I wish there was a way to change all of the "off-greed" to "off-grid".

RE: Off-grid Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - Crimson Nape - 08-26-2022

Your wish is my command!  You have two wishes left, grasshopper. Big Grin

RE: Off-grid Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :) - mumin50 - 08-26-2022

And i was thinking is a nice word play... 
I try to change it