Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Sleep collar (OPINION NEEDED) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Sleep collar (OPINION NEEDED) (/Thread-Sleep-collar-OPINION-NEEDED)

Sleep collar (OPINION NEEDED) - spetzal - 11-22-2022

Difficult to get a concise answer out of my hospital’s sleep lab.

I want to do my next titration study with an over the counter sleep collar, “The Eliminator” off Amazon.  The hospital says I cant wear any aids/collars/chin staps/etc to the study if its not prescribed.

Do doctors even “prescribe” a sleep collar?  Seems unlikely, as doctors seem to think sleep studies are the word of god/not to be questioned, and anything that can be purchased without a written prescription and substantial amounts of money “MUST” be illigitimate.

Opinions/thoughts before i potentially waste time battling my doctor to alter the study orders?

P.S.  I am going to methodically lower my CPAP pressure at home, while isuing the sleep collar, to achieve best results.  I simply am interested in a monitored sleep test while using the collar.

RE: Sleep collar (OPINION NEEDED) - Brazen - 11-22-2022

Many of the experts here recommend soft cervical collars when someone's OSCAR reports suggest positional apnea. (Like chin tucking).

Your doctor may or may not care if you want to wear one during a sleep study. 
Depending on the doctor some would just note it in your chart so the techs can allow it.
Ask the doctor directly.

A better option is downloading the OSCAR software available free here and post those reports here for the experts to help you titrate your own pressures.
Use the c collar if you want.

RE: Sleep collar (OPINION NEEDED) - Sleeprider - 11-22-2022

It might be helpful if you have some basis for thinking you have positional apnea or chin tucking. Evidence of the problem normally shows up in CPAP data, and can be compared to therapy with or without a soft cervical collar. Have you seen our wiki articles on the soft cervical collar and positional apnea (linked in my signature links)? A sleep study is generally prescribed to identify the presence or absence of obstructive or central sleep apnea and related respiratory arousals. Wearing a collar to a PSG sleep study changes the purpose of the study to testing the efficacy of the collar or aid, so the sleep clinic's concern is not unreasonable. On this forum we have identified the conditions that result in clustered positional apnea and observed the benefits of treating that with an aid that prevents chin-tucking, however the soft cervical collar has no studies or approvals that make it an FDA approved sleep aid. As a result, it is simply not recognized by doctors or clinics, even if they might agree with the concept. Have you discussed your theory that you want to test with the doctor?