Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health (/Thread-Develop-Resmed-Reporting-via-Bluetooth-Apple-Health)

Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health - degrees89 - 12-20-2022

Hi, I'm standing on the edge of a potentially large rabbit hole and would like to know if others have been here before or have any insights that may assist.

As we know, the Airstart/Airsense units can report therapy data via SD card or now degraded cell modem.
I know SD Card/Bluetooth modems exist but I have not used this tech before. I am hoping data could be transmitted over Bluetooth this way.

I can see two options, in desired priority:
1. Receive via Bluetooth to an iPhone which will then store it in Apple Health records.
2. Receive via Bluetooth to a local server (eg. Synology NAS) which will transfer to a could service (Onedrive, Azure) which could then be used in another app.

I do not believe the notion that any smart watch can/could ever measure AHI with the same accuracy as a machine with a pneumatic coupling to the subject airway. (I don't know how humans work. Maybe I'll be proven wrong some day)

I'm an all-round electronics tech, systems eng, bad dev who can hack stuff together that works 60% of the time.
If a solution already exists, I'd be keen to find it before reinventing the wheel.

RE: Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health - Dog Slobber - 12-21-2022

Bluetooth can only be used if the device exposes the internal storage over Bluetooth, or if there is a facility to transmit over Bluetooth.

There is no evidence to suggest the Air11 (or AirMini) do either.

RE: Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health - pholynyk - 12-21-2022

In my opinion the most useful thing would be a Toshiba card replacement - something that would go into the SD card slot, with a micro SD card and one of the microprocessors that has wifi (and perhaps bluetooth) built in. Bluethooth may be useful if somebody gets an OSCAR-like program running on phones or tablets. Wifi is immediately useful, of course.

Not an easy project, and I'm not sure it wouldn't need FCC etc approvals.

Ideas are free... it's the implementation that costs

RE: Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health - degrees89 - 12-22-2022

(12-21-2022, 07:51 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: Bluetooth can only be used if the device exposes the internal storage over Bluetooth, or if there is a facility to transmit over Bluetooth.

There is no evidence to suggest the Air11 (or AirMini) do either.

Huhsign The lack of Bluetooth connectivity is literally the whole point of this project and why an SD Card Bluetooth Modem is proposed.  

Neither machine has 'internal storage' of therapeutic data; an SD card is an external volume. Most CPAP machines use an EEPROM for firmware/configuration only, but I don't see how that's relevant here?

(12-21-2022, 08:25 PM)pholynyk Wrote: In my opinion the most useful thing would be a Toshiba card  replacement - something that would go into the SD card slot, with a micro SD card and one of the microprocessors that has wifi (and perhaps bluetooth) built in. Bluethooth may be useful if somebody gets an OSCAR-like program running on phones or tablets. Wifi is immediately useful, of course.

Not an easy project, and I'm not sure it wouldn't need FCC etc approvals.

Ideas are free... it's the implementation that costs

Yes. I think you just described a SD Card Bluetooth modem. Wi-fi is also a contender depending on which of the two listed solutions I go with.

I live in Australia where we a regulated by Australian Communications and Media Authority, however I expect FCC operates similarly.
AMCA approval is not required for a consumer to use approved products for their designed purpose on their reserved spectrum.
This tech is currently used in digital cameras and Philips Remstar 60 (and probably others) for this purpose.

I am not developing a product for commercial production. I will share it with the community to be used at their discretion.
Implementation costs are my time and some cheap tech.

RE: Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health - Jeff8356 - 12-22-2022

As pholynyk had mentioned the Toshiba FlashAir WiFi SD card was the perfect solution. There are some of us here that have used them for years now. Unfortunately they went out of production a couple of years ago.
The closest contender may have been EzShare WiFi SD cards but since the microchip shortage they have been almost impossible to find. But there were some issues with those.

A Bluetooth SD card might be an option if you are in close enough proximity. If you get that figured out post the results in the forum.

RE: Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health - Crimson Nape - 12-22-2022

Just for additional information, there is an SD-WiFi adapter named, FYSETC SD-WIFI with Card-Reader Module.   This card features open source programming code on a STM32 chip.  The downside is the card's power requirement.  It exceeds that of the Resmed's SD slot.  This card would be a viable alternative if you could augment its power requirement.   The card performs well in a PC, but causes initialization problems from lack of power when inserted into the Resmed.

Since I only use Resmed, I don't know how this card would perform in other CPAP brands.

- Red

RE: Develop Resmed Reporting via Bluetooth, Apple Health - degrees89 - 12-23-2022

(12-22-2022, 10:07 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Just for additional information, there is an SD-WiFi adapter named, FYSETC SD-WIFI with Card-Reader Module.   This card features open source programming code on a STM32 chip.  The downside is the card's power requirement.  It exceeds that of the Resmed's SD slot.  This card would be a viable alternative if you could augment its power requirement.   The card performs well in a PC, but causes initialization problems from lack of power when inserted into the Resmed.

Since I only use Resmed, I don't know how this card would perform in other CPAP brands.

- Red

That is some excellent info, thank you!

I'm hoping the BT/Wi-fi transfer will be the easiest part of this.

Building a mobile app that can use this input will be a journey.