Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question (/Thread-Mask-Recommendations-and-new-DS2-Question)

Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - Bubster - 12-26-2022

Greetings all,

Longtime user here, and longtime lurker......

Couple of questions to ask of you esteemed members:

1) Just got my DS2 recall replacement unit (previous was System One Series 60) and so far my AHI's are running about 50% above previous levels.
Are others seeing this also? Algorithm different maybe?

2) I have been using an Eson 1 nasal masks since 2014 (not a fan of the Eson 2) . I want to try some new options and am looking for recommendations.
I am a stomach/side sleeper, use a regular pillow.

Not a fan of nasal pillows (have tried). Could go with full face (never tried) since I do need head straps to keep my big mouth shut.
I have tried the early Dream Wear nasal mask unit with the tubes down the sides, but when ever I slept on my side and closed off one of the tubes, I didn't get enough air to be comfortable.

Would love to hear your suggestions for the latest and greatest masks that work well for you.

Thanks in advance!
Eric in WI

RE: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - AndyB - 12-28-2022

Most users here try multiple masks in the quest for that perfect one. My current favorite is the Bleep Dreamport, which I use with Cover Roll medical tape on my mouth. I sleep on one side or the other, rarely on my back, and never on my stomach. No leaks, easy to use and very comfortable in my experience.

I’m looking forward to trying the upcoming Bleep Eclipse. It looks like it will be even more user-friendly than the Dreamport, which can be a little hard to use if hand dexterity is compromised.

RE: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - StratCat48 - 12-28-2022

Not the System One Series 60, I went from a DS1 to the DS2 and if anything my AHI numbers went down a slight bit.

RE: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - Bubster - 12-29-2022

Thanks AndyB,
I haven't heard of that one. I will check it out.

Thanks Strat Cat .

RE: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - Mandrake - 12-29-2022

Hi
I am definitely not the expert around here, so take my reply as an idea for something to look further into rather than good advice.
I have the DS2 as well. I have been struggling heavily with my sleep apnea, and have been asking myself many times why my therapy doesn't really help me.
I even tried a few nights recently without the machine and things weren't really worse than my bad days with the machine.

Long story (which I will post in the same thread where I asked for advice before) short - try to change the flex settings. I think they suck big time on the Philips DS.

A-Flex Level 3 is the worst.
Try any of the following:

C-Flex at level 1
Or - just turn off Flex completely.

It helped me a lot, that's for sure.
Good luck.

RE: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - Ptae4 - 12-29-2022

I got the Dreamstation 2 replacement in April from the DS1. In my experiences, I found that my AHI improved when I raised the minimum up 2 cm. I did this gradually.

I also have tried different nasal masks, started with the dreamwear nasal mask ( I still like but tends to be a little more noisy ) Resmed N30i ( very similar to Dreamwear but I thought the vent causes some breathing issues for me) N30 ( leaked some and very minimal style mask) and now I am using the Resmed P10. I had to go up a size in pillow to find the right fit for the P10. I think everyone has different preferences on masks therefore the need to try out different ones.
Also the  flex setting 2 is the better choice.  Flex 3 is not good.

And trying out different humidity levels also can be helpful. And you may want to change as the humidity in the house can vary.

If you make changes, do only one at a time, keep daily notes, be sure to download your SD card so you can see your progress on OSCAR.

RE: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - StratCat48 - 12-30-2022

Mandrake.....

DS2 settings(?)

"A-Flex Level 3 is the worst.

Try any of the following:

C-Flex at level 1
Or - just turn off Flex completely."

On the DS2 if you're using 'Auto' PAP mode you have 3 levels of A-Flex. To use any of the 3 levels in C-Flex the DS2 has to be in 'Continuous'  PAP mode. Are you intending to suggest the OP try 'Continuous' PAP mode?

RE: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - Ptae4 - 12-30-2022

In my reply to OP, the flex I am using is A-flex 2. I haven’t tried the CPAP mode ( C-flex settings) on my Auto Dreamstation 2.
I did try A-flex 3 a couple times and it is very bad.

RE: Mask Recommendations and new DS2 Question - Gideon - 12-31-2022

In general Philips machines need a higher minimium pressure because their algorithms are slow to react, and heaven help you if you are ever caught having obstructive events while your machine is testing if lower pressures are ok for you.

On Flex, many Philips users find a flex of 3 intolerable but 1 or 2 are ok.