Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cleanng vs Replacing - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cleanng vs Replacing (/Thread-Cleanng-vs-Replacing)

Cleanng vs Replacing - SakimaStorm - 01-01-2023

Hello, and Happy New Year.

While doing my monthly cleaning today, I reflected that my ResMed supplies seem to last a long time. And even though I have replacements I've continued to use my original humidifier chamber and heated hose as there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them (going on 2 years). And my nasal pillows seem to last about 3  months.

Not wanting perfectly good supplies to end  up in a landfill. Is this safe to do?  Should I be concerned about bacteria / contamination?

I wipe down my mask with distilled water daily and wash with soap and water weekly.
I clean my humidifier chamber with distilled water and vinegar once a week and only use distilled water in it, letting it air dry every other day.
I clean my heated humidifier hose monthly with soap and water.

Much thanks.

RE: Cleanng vs Replacing - Gideon - 01-01-2023

That's a good routine.  Always keep a spare of everything replaceable as that way you are prepared for something unexpected.

RE: Cleanng vs Replacing - SakimaStorm - 01-01-2023

Thank you Gideon.

RE: Cleanng vs Replacing - Crimson Nape - 01-01-2023

I tend to find that the F&P masks fit me the best and have using the same ones for several years.  The only mask that seem to need replacing every few months was the Resmed P10 nasal pillow.  I found that if it was starting to have leaks, it was time to replace it.  As far as humidifier tanks, I never needed a secondary one.  I did have one hose start to lose tension on the connector and would unexpectedly disconnect at the worst time.  All this has been over the course of my treatment which began in 2014.

So the bottom line is I only replace an item when necessary.  I dislike wasting serviceable stuff and still use some of my original masks.

- Red

RE: Cleanng vs Replacing - SakimaStorm - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 08:42 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I tend to find that the F&P masks fit me the best and have using the same ones for several years.  The only mask that seem to need replacing every few months was the Resmed P10 nasal pillow.  I found that if it was starting to have leaks, it was time to replace it.  As far as humidifier tanks, I never needed a secondary one.  I did have one hose start to lose tension on the connector and would unexpectedly disconnect at the worst time.  All this has been over the course of my treatment which began in 2014.

So the bottom line is I only replace an item when necessary.  I dislike wasting serviceable stuff and still use some of my original masks.

- Red

That is a great to hear. Thank you for the information.