Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Treatment] New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Treatment] New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? (/Thread-Treatment-New-mask-can-anyone-explain-some-of-these-shifting-numbers)

New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? - CruzVevo - 01-14-2023

Hey there, this is my first post on here and I hope I am doing it correctly, so please bear with me as I am eager to learn more and be apart of this community. (23 M)

I had an initial sleep study a few years ago and was unable to pursue treatment back then.

it showed AHI 7 
2 OSA, 8 CAs, and 35 hypopneas. Also, 108 arousals related to snoring. The report showed a 20.6 respiratory related arousal per hour of sleep. Oddly I felt like I slept like a baby during those years.

Fast forward to now and I have very fragmented sleep (waking constantly, unrefreshing, headaches, brain fog) and my insurance currently won't cover a sleep study so I bought a slightly used Resmed 10 and am trying to treat myself. 

I started 2 weeks ago with a nasal mask (mirage fx) and it was difficult because I have bad nasal congestion (have tried all the sprays). My numbers with the mask were around 2.5-4 AHI with mostly Clear airway apneas (20 on average) and Obstructive Apneas (7-10 on average and a few hypopneas). Just 3 days ago I was able to save enough to buy a FFM (Air fit 20) because I often mouth breath. The first night went well and I checked OSCAR to find my best numbers yet, I had only 1 CA and 7 OAs and 4 HAs for a 1.5 AHI. I also had 17 large leaks and many correlated with some of the events. The next two nights things changed quite a bit, both nights I had an AHI of 5-6 with 20-30 CAs, 20+ OSAs, and one night 30+ Hypopneas. I am feeling worse today and I am not sure what happened to cause such a massive difference. I tightened the mask the last two nights and had less leaks, I also kept it on all night for all 3 nights but feel rough today. Can anyone help me understand this?
 I am desperate to try and get the treatment locked in. I also plan on getting another in lab study next month when I get new insurance. 

my Settings are: 
6-14 pressure
EPR 3 (after the first night of bad numbers I turned it off to see and hypopneas went from 9 to 32)
Humidity 3
Ramp on 

I am still trying to figure out how to post the charts of the past nights and will do ASAP under this post. 

Thank you to anyone in advance.

RE: New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? - CruzVevo - 01-14-2023

[attachment=47046][attachment=47047][attachment=47048]

here are the screenshots of my OSCAR charts, the lowest AHI is first night of FFM and the other two are the last two nights. I hope I did this correctly, please let me know what else I could do to help others understand the pics better.

RE: New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? - Crimson Nape - 01-14-2023

The first thing I notice is you didn't change the CPAP's mask type to the style you're using.

- Red

RE: New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? - CruzVevo - 01-14-2023

I did on the machine I just forgot to on my profile on here.

RE: New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? - Crimson Nape - 01-14-2023

All your screenshots are showing "Mask - Full Face".
- Red

RE: New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? - SideSleeper - 01-15-2023

He is using an F20 FFM.

RE: New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? - Crimson Nape - 01-15-2023

I apologize. I will be claiming dyslexia. For some reason I read that the OP had switched from an FFM to a Nasal mask. DUH!!!

- Red