Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Water in tubing??? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Water in tubing??? (/Thread-Water-in-tubing)

Pages: 1 2 3

Water in tubing??? - Sheela Hewitt - 02-17-2023

Why do I have humidifier water in my connector tube? I heard a pop pop noise while sleeping , woke up and decided to check my tubing. When I disconnected, water poured out on my bed.

RE: Water in tubing??? - Crimson Nape - 02-17-2023

Its water broke!  Big Grin  

Seriously, the popping sound you heard is probably air passing through the water buildup in the hose.  Condensation buildup is known as "rainout", and is a common problem.  This can occur when your humidity level is set to a value that is producing more moisture than can be delivered to the patient before it cools to the point of condensing. Having your CPAP at or below mattress level, then running the hose above the head, and back down to your mask will really help.  This allows any rainout to drop back to the CPAP outlet and not to the user.

- Red

RE: Water in tubing??? - Sheela Hewitt - 02-17-2023

Thank you! I would not have figured this out on my own.

Thanks. I would not have figured this out on my own.

RE: Water in tubing??? - Chinkapin - 02-17-2023

There are also heated hoses that reduce or eliminate this. I have one on my fairly new CPAP. Last night I turned my humidity up for the first time and I woke up with water gurgling. Tonight I'm going to try turning the hose temperature up a bit.

RE: Water in tubing??? - Crimson Nape - 02-17-2023

Just remember, any mask that has an umbilical hose is not protected by the heat and can allow condensation to form.

- Red

I've had this happen with both a heated and unheated hose. Seeing the doctor next week for the first time since I got the machine. I'll have her check the settings. Thank you!

RE: Water in tubing??? - Nightynite - 02-17-2023

Sheila, This is a life long journey. Please do some reading/ research on how to adjust your own equipment. Nobody can do a better job than you.

Thanks. But I'm only in the first five days.

RE: Water in tubing??? - Sleeprider - 02-17-2023

It's really important that the tube rise from the CPAP before dropping back to where you sleep. If the tube is flat or creates a U shape, water will collect at the low point if you have condensation or water carryover from the humidifier. Try suspending the tube to be higher than the CPAP, even if you have to place the CPAP at a lower elevation. Many people sleep with the CPAP level with where they sleep. Mine is in the lower drawer of a 2-drawer bedside chest. It makes a huge difference if water is able to run back into the humidifier rather than water-boarding you in bed.

Thanks! Sounds like it is all in the mechanics! I have spent several hours looking for the right stand. The one I have now is 4-5 inches below mattress levels. Since I am having problems, I will look for something lower.