Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
newbie here with a question - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: newbie here with a question (/Thread-newbie-here-with-a-question)

Pages: 1 2

newbie here with a question - jp413 - 08-18-2013

first off this board is great, I have had sleep apnea for years but only got my " official " you have sleep apnea about a month ago. prior to getting my machine I lurked around this forum and got lots of helpful info so thanks to everyone. I got my machine s9 elite. got a pressure of 8 and thought it was good for a few days then not so good... thanks to every ones help in other posts I got the resmed software and adjusted my pressure down to 7.6 and so far my ahi have gone down to an adv of 1.3 ( it was adv of 7.5 ) so big thanks

now my question is and it maybe off topic but I haven't seen anything posted

while we have our machines to help us sleep better has anyone switched beds to help improve sleep quality ??Thinking-about

I have a sleep number bed and I don't like it any more. figured with my new cpap might as well get a new bed too maybe then ill never want to get out of bed ..Big Grin

thanks again Thanks

RE: newbie here with a question - STL Mark - 08-18-2013

I know very little about the sleep number beds. Their advertising makes it seem like it would work for everyone. Hoping it does not take away from your thread but how does one know if a sleep number bed has reached it's end of life?

RE: newbie here with a question - jp413 - 08-18-2013

well for me the first 2 years with it were great, but I have had it now for 10 and a few times a week I wake up with back pain.
the chambers do not hold air all night, the remote is failing, and from time to time the air motor wont work. just after I typed my first post me and my gf decided to try take apart the bed and reassemble all the foam pieces and air chamber to make sure everything is where it should be,, we then found mold all over the bottom of the pillow topper and on the air chambers.. funny part was we were told 2 years ago the older sleep number beds had a molding issue ( no anti-microbial protection ) and now that we have a house with a finished basement we have mold ( and we have a dehumidifier that runs 24/7. so we are now bed shopping... ughh

RE: newbie here with a question - trish6hundred - 08-18-2013

Hi jp413,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There is a lot that can go wrong in those sleepnumber beds because they have too much in the way of electronics in them, as you are finding out., (Ha-Ha.)
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: newbie here with a question - Kramden's Demise - 08-19-2013

(08-18-2013, 10:39 AM)jp413 Wrote: well for me the first 2 years with it were great, but I have had it now for 10 and a few times a week I wake up with back pain.
the chambers do not hold air all night, the remote is failing, and from time to time the air motor wont work. just after I typed my first post me and my gf decided to try take apart the bed and reassemble all the foam pieces and air chamber to make sure everything is where it should be,, we then found mold all over the bottom of the pillow topper and on the air chambers.. funny part was we were told 2 years ago the older sleep number beds had a molding issue ( no anti-microbial protection ) and now that we have a house with a finished basement we have mold ( and we have a dehumidifier that runs 24/7. so we are now bed shopping... ughh

Don't dump that bed yet..... After 15 years of use, we also found mold between the mattress material and on the bladders. A quick call to the factory 800 # and we had new product shipped out to us--free of charge. Can't be more positive about our experience- now about 20 years old, but average only 6 hours a night on it!!!!!!!
Give them a call, they should make good on replacing these parts.

RE: newbie here with a question - PaulaO2 - 08-19-2013

You want a bed (and bedroom) that encourages you to sleep. Research "sleep hygiene" for info.

Since you are just starting out and since you are shopping for a bed, get one that you could easily raise the headboard of so, if you experience air in stomach, you can treat yourself. Doesn't have to be a mechanical bed (aka hospital style bed) but just easy to slip a 2x4 or 2 under the feet of the headboard.

RE: newbie here with a question - trish6hundred - 08-20-2013

(08-19-2013, 09:11 PM)Kramdens Demise Wrote:
(08-18-2013, 10:39 AM)jp413 Wrote: well for me the first 2 years with it were great, but I have had it now for 10 and a few times a week I wake up with back pain.

Don't dump that bed yet..... After 15 years of use, we also found mold between the mattress material and on the bladders. A quick call to the factory 800 # and we had new product shipped out to us--free of charge. Can't be more positive about our experience- now about 20 years old, but average only 6 hours a night on it!!!!!!!
Give them a call, they should make good on replacing these parts.
Hi Kranden's Demise,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

RE: newbie here with a question - jp413 - 08-21-2013

kramden yeah I called the customer support number and they are sending me 2 new air chambers and the center foam support. but after 10 years and the last 3 back pain has gotten worse and worse I am still buying a new bed.. I did but a adjustable bed.. fell in love as soon as you raise the head a little I felt all the pressure come off my spine.. just wanted to take a nap right in the store.. will have it here tomorrow.. so if anyone needs 2 new air chambers let me know I will have 2 soon..lolThanks

RE: newbie here with a question - Sleepster - 08-21-2013

(08-18-2013, 07:08 AM)jp413 Wrote: got a pressure of 8 and thought it was good for a few days then not so good... thanks to every ones help in other posts I got the resmed software and adjusted my pressure down to 7.6 and so far my ahi have gone down to an adv of 1.3 ( it was adv of 7.5 ) so big thanks

Not sure what you mean by adv. I also didn't know you could set the pressure at 7.6. Anyway, changing your pressure like that is likely not the cause of the change in AHI. Your AHI will change on its own, especially when you're new to CPAP therapy.

It's highly unlikely that the change in pressure you made had any effect on your AHI. I recommend you leave it at the setting of 8 for a few weeks so you can establish a baseline of data.

Beds? I love my sleep number bed. It's also important to pay attention to ventilation, air temperature, light, and noise. All of these have an effect on the quality of sleep.

RE: newbie here with a question - Mark Risley - 08-22-2013

Obviously you need a comfortable bed, who can sleep well without one. I went thru 4 before I finally became happy. Buy from a dealer that guarantees and will trade if you are not happy after two months. There are several, I will not mention names because everybody is different. You just have to try and find what is right for you.