Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
When to replace mask cushion - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: When to replace mask cushion (/Thread-When-to-replace-mask-cushion--3976)

When to replace mask cushion - Sweetdreams2013 - 08-18-2013

Had my mask for almost 2 months.... Even after I wash it, it still looks kind of cloudy.... When should I replace the cushion?

RE: When to replace mask cushion - jettman96 - 08-18-2013

Medical supply place put me on an auto resupply that conforms to my insurances rules. For the cushion they are goin to be replacing it once a month.

RE: When to replace mask cushion - Sweetdreams2013 - 08-22-2013

Once a month?! Oh my
Goodness r u kidding

RE: When to replace mask cushion - zonk - 08-22-2013

(08-18-2013, 10:43 AM)Sweetdreams2013 Wrote: Had my mask for almost 2 months.... Even after I wash it, it still looks kind of cloudy.... When should I replace the cushion?
Whatever replacement schedule allows if you,re in US and have insurance

Increased leaks is an indicator to replace the cushions also looks for stiffness or tear

RE: When to replace mask cushion - archangle - 08-22-2013

When they get hard and don't seal well, or get cloudy or yucky and don't clean well, replace them.

I recommend you get replacements as soon as your insurance will pay until you have a couple of spares. Then clean a set really well once a week, and swap them out, letting the cleaned set dry out for a week to help kill off germs. Then order new ones whenever one wears out.

It's good to have at least one spare anyway.

Some people take their old, cloudy, yucky, poorly sealing cushions, and boil them in water with a little baking soda and claim it rejuvenates them somewhat. Once you get replacements, try it with a set of cushions before you throw them away. At worst, you just throw them away anyway.

RE: When to replace mask cushion - Mark Risley - 08-23-2013

Wash them daily. I use a mild solution of vinegar and water. Then rinse with a mild soapy water. It will discolor, don't worry about it. When the seal goes bad, replace. You should know without any help when this happens, right? Or if the thing stinks, thats probably a good indication that you have milked the most from your unit. Now, my insurance gives a new one every two weeks. Having said that, watch eBay for prices that can even beat your insurance/copayment.

It does cost a bit, but well worth the good it does for your health. Can't put a price on that, right?

RE: When to replace mask cushion - Sevensox - 08-26-2013

I replace mine about one every six months.
Lee

RE: When to replace mask cushion - PollCat - 08-26-2013

Contact your insurance company/Medicare and learn their replacement policy for CPAP consumables. Since I use nasal pillows, Medicare/insurance allows for a monthly replacement - a policy I seldom adhere to. oldman