Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] equipment malfunction? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] equipment malfunction? (/Thread-Equipment-equipment-malfunction)

equipment malfunction? - Louise - 08-18-2013

two nights in a row I have woken up very early in the morning with lowered airflow. I know because 1) I feel like I can't breathe right and 2)when the airflow is right and I open my mouth inside the full face mask, it usually puffs out my cheeks like a chipmunk. During these periods, that doesn't happen when I open my mouth.

I've tried turning the machine off and back on again; even tried unplugging and plugging back in. No change in the feeling that airflow isn't working. I've cleaned/checked the filter. I raised the machine off the carpet. I;ve looked at my sleephead graphs and see no sign of a significant change in airflow or leak just before I take off the mask.

So what am I missing? The machine works again correctly 12 hours later when I go back to bed . . . .

any ideas are welcome.

thanks you all. this is a great forum. and sleepyhead ROCKS!

RE: equipment malfunction? - Tez62 - 08-18-2013

(08-18-2013, 06:49 PM)Louise Wrote: two nights in a row I have woken up very early in the morning with lowered airflow. I know because 1) I feel like I can't breathe right and 2)when the airflow is right and I open my mouth inside the full face mask, it usually puffs out my cheeks like a chipmunk. During these periods, that doesn't happen when I open my mouth.

I've tried turning the machine off and back on again; even tried unplugging and plugging back in. No change in the feeling that airflow isn't working. I've cleaned/checked the filter. I raised the machine off the carpet. I;ve looked at my sleephead graphs and see no sign of a significant change in airflow or leak just before I take off the mask.

So what am I missing? The machine works again correctly 12 hours later when I go back to bed . . . .

any ideas are welcome.

thanks you all. this is a great forum. and sleepyhead ROCKS!

Louise, welcome, it would be good if we can see your graphs, I know what you mean about the 'chipmunk cheeks, just wondering if you are getting used to the pressures as you do you don't get those chipmunk cheeks as much. The other thing could be leaks, if you can let us know the numbers on you graphs for leaks if they are high the air could be going out between your mask and your face rather than keeping your throat open. In you profile, you saying your AHI is still 11 which is better than you sleep study but still way too high. Have a look and see if you AHI goes up when you get leaks. You really need to work on one thing at a time, get that right and move on to the next. In the end you will get there for some it does take time, just stick with it.

RE: equipment malfunction? - zonk - 08-18-2013

From profile - Other Comments: Initial AHI at sleep study: 35. CPAP started 1 aug 2013. after 1st 2 weeks ahi ave 11

You might want to followup with your sleep physician, AHI 11 might indicate the therapy is not optimal yet