Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
CPAP versus APAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: CPAP versus APAP (/Thread-CPAP-versus-APAP--3992)

Pages: 1 2

CPAP versus APAP - mdorne - 08-20-2013

Anyones thoughts on my friends following statement and conclusion.

checked out the S9 mask (auto function) and it is available. But here's the thing, with the auto setting the machine will just tick over while you are breathing normally, and kick in when it detects your breathing has stopped. The problem being that if you have frequent consecutive bouts of no breathing it may not keep up with the frequency of each bout, hence the need for a constant pressure to keep the airwaves continually open. This was explained to me by the experts ... So depending on the severity of your condition auto for mild or constant if your airways need to be opened throughout the night.
Obviously my heart condition required my airways be opened throughout the night, so I'll go with what was originally prescribed for me ...... But an update by our CPAP unit may be in order, since its been a few years since I've had one!
You may want to check out this theory for your own benefit, and I appreciate your concern and thank you for the advice. Also I'm looking into a smaller travel unit which I may invest in, they seem to be well designed and appropriately functional.

RE: CPAP versus APAP - trish6hundred - 08-20-2013

HI mdorne,
WELCOME! TO THE FORUM.!
HANG IN THERE FOR ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS AND BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.

RE: CPAP versus APAP - PsychoMike - 08-20-2013

Hi Mdorne and welcome to the board.

I'm not an expert, but here's my thoughts as least...If you have something like the S9 AutoSet, then it is typically set up with a base constant pressure: when the machine is turned on, it will always have at least that amount of pressure to the mask you are using. What the auto function does is adjusts the pressure depending on your needs. So if you only need the lower pressure to keep your airways open, then it can do that....but it can also ramp up the pressure when it detects the apnea events, rather than keeping you at the higher pressures all the time (which can be uncomfortable to adjust to for "normal" sleeping).

If you have a more severe condition, I would suspect that they would set you up with a higher base pressure (more like a CPAP) and a maximum pressure appropriate to your situation (to give you some of the ease of use typically associated with the APAP).

As I said, though....I'm not an expert Smile

RE: CPAP versus APAP - jgjones1972 - 08-20-2013

Auto PAPs provide a constant minimum pressure but also can automatically adjust as high as the maximum pressure setting. The "Auto" part of Auto PAP doesn't mean that they turn off and on automatically, it means they adjust pressure automatically within the scope and limitations that are set by you or your health care provider. Autos can also be put in CPAP mode, set to a very tight range or have the mimimum pressure set to your optimum CPAP pressure and the maximum pressure left higher just in case something unusual happens to increase flow resistance.

An Auto CPAP will do everything a CPAP will do and much more.

The statement made by your friend displays a complete lack of knowledge about APAPs, their intended/optimal use and the way they function.

RE: CPAP versus APAP - RonWessels - 08-20-2013

Auto-CPAP devices do not just react to apnea events. They analyze the airflow looking for indications that the airway is starting to close. These indications include "flow limitation", which is a flattening of the top of an inhale airflow plot (normally they are rounded), and "snoring", which is a detected vibratory airflow during inhale. When such a "warning" is detected, the auto-CPAP device will increase the pressure to attempt to prevent a possible upcoming airway obstruction. Of course obstructive apnea events will also cause the device to increase the pressure, but usually it doesn't get that far.

My untreated AHI is over 100. That means on average, I have an apnea event lasting 10 seconds or more at a rate faster than every 36 seconds! With my auto-CPAP, a bad night consists of, on average, an apnea event lasting 10 seconds or more at a rate slower than every 30 minutes (ie. an AHI less than 2). [ Yes, I am the poster-child for how well CPAP can work. ]

RE: CPAP versus APAP - zonk - 08-20-2013

an AutoPAP constantly adjust pressure to your needs throughout the night but the trick is to set it correctly
Doctor-no-get-it ... the machine does not increase pressure in blink of an eye

Not all APAP are equal ... machine in profile: ResMed S9 Autopap
look next to power button for the correct model name, its a winner if say "AutoSet" not "Escape Auto"

RE: CPAP versus APAP - STL Mark - 08-20-2013

(08-20-2013, 11:02 AM)mdorne Wrote: checked out the S9 mask (auto function) and it is available.
I was not sure if in the above statement you are referring to the S9 setting to turn the machine on automatically when you breath through the mask? And off automatically when you take off the mask...

RE: CPAP versus APAP - PsychoMike - 08-20-2013

(08-20-2013, 03:01 PM)zonk Wrote: Not all APAP are equal ... machine in profile: ResMed S9 Autopap
look next to power button for the correct model name, its a winner if say "AutoSet" not "Escape Auto"

Very true as well...

RE: CPAP versus APAP - zonk - 08-20-2013

(08-20-2013, 04:09 PM)STL Mark Wrote:
(08-20-2013, 11:02 AM)mdorne Wrote: checked out the S9 mask (auto function) and it is available.
I was not sure if in the above statement you are referring to the S9 setting to turn the machine on automatically when you breath through the mask? And off automatically when you take off the mask...
If the machine an Escape Auto ... according to the comparison charts - SmartStart/Stop feature is not available on this model
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_series/s9-series.html?nc=dealers

RE: CPAP versus APAP - Paptillian - 08-20-2013

(08-20-2013, 11:02 AM)mdorne Wrote: with the auto setting the machine will just tick over while you are breathing normally

False. As others mentioned, it stays on all night and will never go below the minimum pressure that is ordered by your doctor.