Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Auto CPAP machines - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Auto CPAP machines (/Thread-Auto-CPAP-machines)

Pages: 1 2 3

Auto CPAP machines - me50 - 08-29-2013

I was told yesterday that there are CPAP machines that will adjust the level of pressure that is needed. In other words, if my setting is 12 and it is too high or too low, the machine will adjust it accordingly. Do any of you know about this? IF so, do you like this feature?

Thank you for your help.

Thinking-aboutThinking-about

RE: Auto CPAP machines - RonWessels - 08-29-2013

Um, yes. If you check my profile (the data underneath my username on the left of my post), you will see that I am using the Philips Respironics version of their Auto-CPAP unit.

There are many reasons that your treatment pressure requirement will vary during the evening, including sleep position, phase of sleep you are in, colour of your linen, etc. [ Ok, maybe not so much the last. But the reasons vary and often tend to be "magic" ]. An Auto-CPAP machine will detect closure or impending closure of your airway and increase the treatment pressure to compensate. If your airway is solidly open, it will periodically attempt to lower the pressure to see if a lower treatment pressure is also an effective treatment. All of these adjustments are subject to minimum and maximum pressure limit settings that can be configured.

Personally, my treatment pressure tends to vary wildly day-to-day. Looking at my data, I've had periods where the pressure is at the lowest setting of 11 cmH2O. I've also had periods where the machine has raised the pressure to over 19 cmH2O (probably because I rolled over on my back).

Do I like it? Let me put it this way. When I first started CPAP, I bought a fixed-pressure CPAP unit set at my titrated pressure. Looking at the data, I wasn't happy with the performance, and I engaged the (time-limited) trial-auto mode available on my original machine. Within 2 weeks, I had a full-fledged Auto-CPAP unit on-order. So yes, I do like it.

RE: Auto CPAP machines - Thegirls - 08-29-2013

(08-29-2013, 11:10 AM)me50 Wrote: I was told yesterday that there are CPAP machines that will adjust the level of pressure that is needed. In other words, if my setting is 12 and it is too high or too low, the machine will adjust it accordingly. Do any of you know about this? IF so, do you like this feature?

Thank you for your help.

Thinking-aboutThinking-about

Hi,

I currently use the iCH Auto. While not a well known brand, it is great machine and at much lower cost than the ResMed or Respironic machines.

RE: Auto CPAP machines - me50 - 08-29-2013

evy Barnett can you share your thoughts on the auto feature and how it works for you? thanks

RE: Auto CPAP machines - trish6hundred - 08-29-2013

Hi me50,
I like an autopap because it will adjust to what you need. I have a range set to 7-20 cmh2o to accomodate my titrated pressure of 10 cmh2o. Of course your pressure needs will be different than mine.
I hope this is helpful.

RE: Auto CPAP machines - Paptillian - 08-29-2013

My "official" CPAP pressure from the titration study is 5 cmH20, but in reality it runs the gamut from 4 to 10 and averages around 6. If I didn't have the Auto CPAP I would be undertreated most of the time and overtreated some of the time.

evybarnett, you have an auto but your profile says your CPAP pressure is 8.0. Why is it fixed? Are you not using the auto feature?

RE: Auto CPAP machines - PaulaO2 - 08-29-2013

There's some various reasons why autoPAPs are good or not good for someone.

Some folks don't like how the machine can "run off" with the pressure. This is when the machine goes higher and higher, trying to keep the throat open or at least it thinks that's what it is doing.

Other folks like how it adjusts to each night since no two nights are the same.

I love my Autoset. I enjoy knowing that no matter my position or level of sleep or amount of medication I had to take, my CPAP is going to take care of me.

Hi Paula

Yes, that is my concern too b/c even with the CPAP treatment, I still wake up often during the night and it isn't due to a full bladder. I hesitate to take any type of medication at night, even OTC, because I am concerned about how it might mess with my breathing, etc. Thank you so much for all of your replies!!

those of you that use auto cpap machines, can you, if you haven't already, share which brand that you use? thank you.

RE: Auto CPAP machines - RonWessels - 08-29-2013

The two main (modern) units you will see here are the ResMed S9 AutoSet and the Philips Respironics System One 60 Series REMstar Auto. [ I have the latter. ] Both are perfectly good data-capable units. The pro's and con's for each are not particularly significant, and I'm not sure anyone here would recommend one over the other with any seriousness.