Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Good deal on SD cards - FYI - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Good deal on SD cards - FYI (/Thread-Good-deal-on-SD-cards-FYI)

Good deal on SD cards - FYI - JumpStart - 03-16-2012

Looking to acquire a 2nd SD card for my S9 this morning, I wandered through Sam's Club and found a 2-pack of 4GB SanDisk SDHC for $8.11. While one more card than I needed, it was far less than the $9.99 Best Buy, just across the street, wanted for just ONE such card. Since I occasionally send various digital stuff to my granddaughter, I acquired the duo. Checked both in my S9 - they work perfectly. While each provide far more space than is needed for the S9, the availability - and the cost - of 2GB cards are headed in opposite directions (down and up, respectively). And 1GB cards have gone the way of the dodo bird. Neither Office Depot, BestBuy, Sam's Club, or Walmart (in my area) had anything smaller than the 4GB I found - and of those, none cheaper. No shipping charge, either!

RE: Good deal on SD cards - FYI - greatunclebill - 03-16-2012

(03-16-2012, 11:22 AM)JumpStart Wrote: Looking to acquire a 2nd SD card for my S9 this morning, I wandered through Sam's Club and found a 2-pack of 4GB SanDisk SDHC for $8.11. While one more card than I needed, it was far less than the $9.99 Best Buy, just across the street, wanted for just ONE such card. Since I occasionally send various digital stuff to my granddaughter, I acquired the duo. Checked both in my S9 - they work perfectly. While each provide far more space than is needed for the S9, the availability - and the cost - of 2GB cards are headed in opposite directions (down and up, respectively). And 1GB cards have gone the way of the dodo bird. Neither Office Depot, BestBuy, Sam's Club, or Walmart (in my area) had anything smaller than the 4GB I found - and of those, none cheaper. No shipping charge, either!

strange as it sounds, i went to office depot this morning and bought a usb sd/sdhc card reader for $4.99. pleasantly surprised at the price.

RE: Good deal on SD cards - FYI - SuperSleeper - 03-16-2012

Be careful, I'm not certain, but just as a caution, I don't think you want the HDHC cards, but simply the old plain SD card from what some people are saying. The newer HDHC cards may not work properly all the time in a CPAP that shipped with a plain vanilla HD card.

Check out this thread in our Commercial Posts Forum where Steven warned about this (a few posts into the thread):

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Cheap-price-on-16-GB-Sandisk-SD-Memory-Card

RE: Good deal on SD cards - FYI - greatunclebill - 03-16-2012

(03-16-2012, 12:32 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Be careful, I'm not certain, but just as a caution, I don't think you want the HDHC cards, but simply the old plain SD card from what some people are saying. The newer HDHC cards may not work properly all the time in a CPAP that shipped with a plain vanilla HD card.

Check out this thread in our Commercial Posts Forum where Steven warned about this (a few posts into the thread):

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Cheap-price-on-16-GB-Sandisk-SD-Memory-Card

i remembered that when i was buying the reader but didn't remember if it applied to cards or readers. i don't plan on replacing the card anytime soon, but these little sd cards look like an excellent alternative to the bigger flash drives moving things from computer to computer. i guess you could even stick it in your wallet to bring data somewhere.

RE: Good deal on SD cards - FYI - JumpStart - 03-16-2012

(03-16-2012, 12:32 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Be careful, I'm not certain, but just as a caution, I don't think you want the HDHC cards, but simply the old plain SD card from what some people are saying. The newer HDHC cards may not work properly all the time in a CPAP that shipped with a plain vanilla HD card.

My S9 has a current firmware (0904), and appears capable of reading SDHC cards. It also shipped with a standard SD card. I don't believe an SD device can sometimes read an SDHC, and sometimes not. If it works at all, it should work always, barring other unrelated problems. The SD Association provides the following re compatibility for host devices:

SDHC devices can use both SD memory cards and SDHC memory cards.
SD devices can only use SD memory cards.

I suspect all relatively new devices use the SDHC as standard, since there are both fewer SD cards and related uses available. It certainly doesn't cost anymore for ResMed to do so.

But it is always good to check. It is possible an email to ResMed regarding replacement for a "lost" or "damaged" SD might possibly elicit an honest response on the issue, although they are undoubtedly now stuck with a large number of 1 GB cards which they want to sell. They do provide replacements, for a charge. My confidence in large manufacturers doing ANYTHING which might be less than maximum self-interest is somewhat low. Smile But hey, its just an email!