Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
autoset cpap machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: autoset cpap machine (/Thread-autoset-cpap-machine)

Pages: 1 2

autoset cpap machine - me50 - 09-05-2013

I have approval for the auto set Resmed S9 now. Go to DME next Tuesday to pick it up. Since my initial prescription from my sleep study was one setting as I did not have an auto set cpap, my doctor didn't know what to do so put 4 to 20 on the prescription. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

RE: autoset cpap machine - Tez62 - 09-05-2013

me50, when you get it, download the sleepyheads software and then monitor your pressures over a few weeks you should be able to at least lower the high pressure, you can post your results on here, good luck

RE: autoset cpap machine - me50 - 09-05-2013

(09-05-2013, 09:57 PM)Tez62 Wrote: me50, when you get it, download the sleepyheads software and then monitor your pressures over a few weeks you should be able to at least lower the high pressure, you can post your results on here, good luck

I have both res scan and sleepy head downloaded. I will make a note to ask how to adjust the settings when I go next week. Thanks!!

RE: autoset cpap machine - jgjones1972 - 09-05-2013

You could leave it at 4 - 20 for a while to see what it does, then start tightening up the range...or, if you were titrated at 12 constant, you could set it to something like 9 - 20 to see what shakes out. It's generally a good idea to give the machine a lot of room to run and only tighten the range up once you get a good look at a couple weeks worth of data.

The biggest problem with wide open range is that it will be hard to prevent leaks. Adjust the mask to be leak free at higher pressure before setting the pressure back and going to sleep. After the first night you will be able to use "mask fit" to adjust the pressure at 95% pressure from previous night, but I'm not sure what mask fit will do if there is no previous night to go off of. If it just pushes 4 and you adjust your mask at 4, then you'll get bad leaks if it runs up to 12.

Sleep-well

RE: autoset cpap machine - trish6hundred - 09-05-2013

Hi me50,
What jgjones1972 said.
That's GREAT to hear that you will be getting an S9AutoSet.
Best of luck with the new machine and keep us posted.

RE: autoset cpap machine - me50 - 09-05-2013

(09-05-2013, 10:07 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: You could leave it at 4 - 20 for a while to see what it does, then start tightening up the range...or, if you were titrated at 12 constant, you could set it to something like 9 - 20 to see what shakes out. It's generally a good idea to give the machine a lot of room to run and only tighten the range up once you get a good look at a couple weeks worth of data.

The biggest problem with wide open range is that it will be hard to prevent leaks. Adjust the mask to be leak free at higher pressure before setting the pressure back and going to sleep. After the first night you will be able to use "mask fit" to adjust the pressure at 95% pressure from previous night, but I'm not sure what mask fit will do if there is no previous night to go off of. If it just pushes 4 and you adjust your mask at 4, then you'll get bad leaks if it runs up to 12.

Sleep-well
thanks. my previous DME never gave me much instructions on how to adjust settings, use mask fit, etc. as a matter of fact, they insisted that I come in for them to check my SD or to mail my SD in and then they would send me another one which I was totally against mailing it in. A previous DME wanted to charge $25 to read the SD and that is partly why I changed to a new DME but they only had one person that would do the SD card and half the time, the print out I got was a mess so here is hoping this new one is much better (the previous 2 are not on my new insurance). I am making a list of questions based on what I am seeing in this forum.

If anyone can think of questions that I should ask about the auto set while I am there, please let me know as this is my first auto set. I am happy about it b/c it means I will be able to take medication that is prescribed for me that I was afraid to take just in case it affected my breathing and my machine wouldn't adjust for it. Yay!!

RE: autoset cpap machine - STL Mark - 09-06-2013

(09-05-2013, 09:48 PM)me50 Wrote: I have approval for the auto set Resmed S9 now. Go to DME next Tuesday to pick it up.
Many DMEs especially the national chains will try to stick you with a S9 Escape Auto. If you question it they will tell you it is newer or is a replacement for the Autoset. Don't take it home just walk out if they can't give you an S9 Autoset.

RE: autoset cpap machine - me50 - 09-06-2013

I was reading about the auto set and some of the information said that it is possible to miss some events, especially a sudden onset. I am concerned about the range being set far below my setting (12). Guess I should talk with the respiratory therapist and see if they can set the range from 12 to 20 rather than 4 to 20. Thank you for the heads up about the S9 Escape!!

RE: autoset cpap machine - RonWessels - 09-06-2013

If your titrated CPAP pressure was 12, I'd recommend starting your Auto pressure settings at 10-20. At 10, you are close enough to your "nominal" treatment pressure that there isn't much of an issue being too low. However, being below your original pressure, if for some reason that pressure was too high, the machine can provide a lower pressure if sufficient.

RE: autoset cpap machine - PsychoMike - 09-06-2013

(09-05-2013, 10:07 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: The biggest problem with wide open range is that it will be hard to prevent leaks. Adjust the mask to be leak free at higher pressure before setting the pressure back and going to sleep. After the first night you will be able to use "mask fit" to adjust the pressure at 95% pressure from previous night, but I'm not sure what mask fit will do if there is no previous night to go off of. If it just pushes 4 and you adjust your mask at 4, then you'll get bad leaks if it runs up to 12.

Sleep-well

AFAIK, the ResMed S9 uses a consistent mask fit pressure close to the 20 cmH20 max the unit puts out. I find if I use the Mask fit I tend to have the headgear a little tighter than it needs to be for the pressure I run (6.6 - 16 right now, generally averaging in the low 7's)