Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
suffocation? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: suffocation? (/Thread-suffocation)

suffocation? - haroldeveryman - 09-08-2013

Newbie here since July 2013. Last night I discovered a possible problem. My full face mask was leaking and after a few attempts at adjusting the straps I decided to just apply light pressure to seal the mask and get back.to sleep. I was on my right side with my arm underneath my head so I just put my hand on the top of the mask and gently pressed. The leak stopped and I fell into a deep sleep. Soon I was disturbed by my increased resp rate and a strange odor. I finally shook myself and was wide awake wondering what was happening. My mask was not leaking, however, and here is the dangerous part, my forearm was totally covering the vent! I was rebreathing my own air and the CO2 was building up. I was suffocating! The smell was my own stale breath mixed with a high concentration of CO2!

Perhaps this has been discussed before but a search for "suffocating" didn't find the topic. Please spread the word to fellow users. If I had been drinking or otherwise not aware of what was happening I might not be here typing this!

RE: suffocation? - Sleepster - 09-08-2013

That's one of the reasons there's an anti-asphyxiation valve on a full face mask.

Sounds like you had a rude awakening. Talk about a nightmare! Bag-head

RE: suffocation? - trish6hundred - 09-08-2013

Hi haroldeveryman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: suffocation? - PaulaO2 - 09-09-2013

Unlike other masks, the full face masks run the highest risks for asphyxiation. As Sleepster pointed out, that's why they have a valve to assist with this.

Sorry you had to experience it but glad you woke up.

RE: suffocation? - me50 - 09-10-2013

(09-09-2013, 02:21 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Unlike other masks, the full face masks run the highest risks for asphyxiation. As Sleepster pointed out, that's why they have a valve to assist with this.

Sorry you had to experience it but glad you woke up.

Geez, nobody told me that this was or could be an issue with a full face mask!! I think I would rather use a chin strap than risk this!!

RE: suffocation? - PollCat - 09-10-2013

I've never used a full-face mask (for sleeping); could you jury-rig another hose to exhalation valve to route the used air away from you?

RE: suffocation? - Sleepster - 09-10-2013

I don't think the issue is that it's easier to stop up the exhalation ports on full face masks.

RE: suffocation? - Sevensox - 09-11-2013

Hi
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with a full face mask. I have been on one for over 7 years now and have never had that problem but then we are all different.
Lee