Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
new mask stinks of plastic - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: new mask stinks of plastic (/Thread-new-mask-stinks-of-plastic)

new mask stinks of plastic - alby_c - 09-12-2013

I have just received my new Resmed Quattro FX mask, for when I have the flu, like now, when neither pillows or nasal masks work for me. Kudos to supplier 10 for getting this to me in 4 days!

Like the nasal mask - this thing reeks of plastic out of the bag and this shuts down my sinuses. fortunately I could air and wash and air the nasal mask before I used it over a couple of weeks - using my pillows instead.

However I will have to use it tonight as my nose is just too clogged up to think of any nasal only approach.

I have given it a quick wash a soft soap which has helped a fair bit - is there any other tips to de-stench this quickly?

RE: new mask stinks of plastic - trish6hundred - 09-12-2013

Hi alby_c,
Usually when I get a new mask I soak it in warm soapy water for quite a while and then I dry it.
Sounds like you have already done that from what you said in your post.
Hope you get to feeling better soon and in case I forgot, WELCOME! to the forum.!

RE: new mask stinks of plastic - PaulaO2 - 09-12-2013

You've done all that I would do. Wash with soap and let air dry. I've always wanted to try putting in plastic bag with baking soda to see if it does any good.

RE: new mask stinks of plastic - big_dave - 09-12-2013

You could try dissolving some baking soda in water and soaking your mask in it.

RE: new mask stinks of plastic - me50 - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 05:20 AM)alby_c Wrote: I have just received my new Resmed Quattro FX mask, for when I have the flu, like now, when neither pillows or nasal masks work for me. Kudos to supplier 10 for getting this to me in 4 days!

Like the nasal mask - this thing reeks of plastic out of the bag and this shuts down my sinuses. fortunately I could air and wash and air the nasal mask before I used it over a couple of weeks - using my pillows instead.

However I will have to use it tonight as my nose is just too clogged up to think of any nasal only approach.

I have given it a quick wash a soft soap which has helped a fair bit - is there any other tips to de-stench this quickly?

You could try 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 vinegar.

RE: new mask stinks of plastic - PollCat - 09-12-2013

I agree with me50's solution: a white vinegar and distilled water bath, rinsed in hot water and air-dried. Though the drying really isn't necessary as you're going to be blowing moist air through it anyway.

RE: new mask stinks of plastic - archangle - 09-12-2013

Disassemble and everything but the headgear in the dishwasher. Hottest water setting, maybe multiple cycles. Let it air out while still disassembled until you need it.

RE: new mask stinks of plastic - alby_c - 09-13-2013

thanks for the clues.

Even with the residual smell, it worked great as i had to mouth breath most of the night - hate this flu going around
It fit nicely which was a relief - its a fair punt when you buy online never having seen one in the flesh.