Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New FFM's...anyone tried both? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New FFM's...anyone tried both? (/Thread-New-FFM-s-anyone-tried-both)

Pages: 1 2

New FFM's...anyone tried both? - PsychoMike - 09-18-2013

Hey gang,

Well, I can honestly say that dust, smoke and the colds my daughter brings home are a real pain in the mask Wink I typically use a nasal mask, but the last few nights I've been sunk for therapy because my schnozz has been plugged up bad enough I don't think Drano could open it up Sad

So, talking with the DME here about possibly picking up a FFM for cold and flu season (as well as this dry fall we're having here which has meant the dust is up) and the two newest offerings have piqued my interest: ResMed Quattro Air and F&P Simplus.

Anyone tried both and can give some pros and cons? Yeah, I know...everybody is unique and my experience might not be the same as yours....but I'm still interested. I'm especially interested in how well the seal does for side sleepers or active movers.

Thanks in advance Smile

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - eviltim - 09-18-2013

I just got the Quattro Air yesterday actually. First night was good, I had to tighten it quite a bit but the leak numbers were good and I didn't wake up with air shooting into my eyes. (Previously I was using an old Quattro FX which leaked a lot). I am a side sleeper and move around a fair amount. It's a pretty comfortable mask, although I think I prefer the Quattro FX style headgear.

Oh and one other nice thing about the Air is the vent holes are very spread out so there's not one giant blast of air going in front of your face. This is nice if you sleep with a partner, but also if you're a side sleeper like me, because occasionally you get in a position where the vent is pointing towards a pillow and making a bunch of noise. Not a problem with the Air.

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - pumpkln - 09-18-2013

Hi PsychoMike,
I use the Swift Fx, and Bella loops with nasal pillows. I had a cold a few weeks ago and purchased the Quattro Fx for Her due to clogged sinus's.
Still getting used to it, woke up with a black eye, and trying to figure out how I managed that.
The Quattro FX fits well, almost do not need the lower straps, and works best on my back.
The Quattro FX feels heavy after the Swift FX (wish they supplied the light weight tube like the Swift FX), the fit is not as good for side sleeping it leaks and moves, and I am not sure if the pressure adjusts automatically on my APAP for a different mask.
I do think it is a good idea to have a FFM for those times when our sinus's are clogged due to colds or allergies

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - b360155 - 09-18-2013

(09-18-2013, 11:47 AM)PsychoMike Wrote: Hey gang,

Well, I can honestly say that dust, smoke and the colds my daughter brings home are a real pain in the mask Wink I typically use a nasal mask, but the last few nights I've been sunk for therapy because my schnozz has been plugged up bad enough I don't think Drano could open it up Sad

So, talking with the DME here about possibly picking up a FFM for cold and flu season (as well as this dry fall we're having here which has meant the dust is up) and the two newest offerings have piqued my interest: ResMed Quattro Air and F&P Simplus.

Anyone tried both and can give some pros and cons? Yeah, I know...everybody is unique and my experience might not be the same as yours....but I'm still interested. I'm especially interested in how well the seal does for side sleepers or active movers.

Thanks in advance Smile

I used the Quattro FX for about 2 years and switched to the Quattro Air almost 2 months ago. I liked the Quattro FX but thought I'd try something new and so far I'm liking the Quattro Air a little bit better. It's very lightweight and for me seals well with unintended leak rates usually in the low single digits.

Like eviltim said, the mask vents from holes that encircle the opening in front where the elbow goes into the mask and seems to be quieter with less forceful air blowing out. It's easy to clean as besides the headgear and the frame that the mask clips into, I only have 2 pieces, the mask and the elbow to wash each morning. The silicone is fused onto the plastic mask portion rather than being 2 separate pieces and the cushion has a softer opaque surface and feels better on my skin than the older clear silicone gel which tended to stick to the skin more. Also the headgear is more comfortable than the older Resmeds as it has a bit of cushion to it. The flex wing forehead works well and I don't wake up with any mask or strap marks on my face in the morning.

One thing I'm not sure I like is that the bottom straps are attached via hooks on the mask frame instead of quick connect clilps. But I just leave the velcro attached in their places on the headgear and pull it up and over the hooks and that seems to work fine.

I sleep on my back most of the time but do sleep on my side occasionally and haven't noticed any difference in leaks. Hope that helps!

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - me50 - 09-18-2013

I used the Quattro FX for about 2 years and switched to the Quattro Air almost 2 months ago. I liked the Quattro FX but thought I'd try something new and so far I'm liking the Quattro Air a little bit better. It's very lightweight and for me seals well with unintended leak rates usually in the low single digits.

Does anyone know if the head gear for the Quattro air similar to the F&P simplus head gear? Is the F&P headgear (which looks like it is made from some sturdy plastic material in the photo) made out of the same or similar material as the Quattro air?

This is why I rejected the Mirage Liberty b/c I have allergies and knew that 95% of the time I wouldn't be able to use it (I have 3 dogs and my allergies are pretty much a daily occurrence).

I have only used the Quattro FX so far so I can't offer you any suggestions about any thing but this mask. I am not very fond of the head gear but the mask is okay. I am not much on those one size fits all masks (those that come in large for adults and small for children).

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - TonyJ - 09-18-2013

(09-18-2013, 11:47 AM)PsychoMike Wrote: Hey gang,

Thanks in advance Smile

I am using the Simplus and think its great. Tried the Quattro mirage first but could never get through the night without it leaking so bad that I had to switch to another mask.

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - me50 - 09-18-2013

I am using the Simplus and think its great. Tried the Quattro mirage first but could never get through the night without it leaking so bad that I had to switch to another mask.
[/quote]

I am interested in the Simplus but I cannot get it in the US, at least not yet.

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - PsychoMike - 09-19-2013

Well, I visited the DME and they were quite happy to get me in and to help me with the plugged nose issue. They've set me up with a ResMed Quattro Mirage to start and I've got mixed feelings about it. I was able to sleep with it for a full 7 hrs (no knocking it off) and it seemed to seal fairly well (no big leaks that I could tell)...AHI was 0.1 (which was great to actually get a decent sleep with this blasted cold! 5 ).

My only concern is that I'm a bit of a side sleeper and found that when I'm on my side, the hard frame (not the seal/skirt) of the mask was up against the nose. Wasn't painful during the night, but it left the nose a bit sore in the morning. Perturbed I'll try re-arranging the pillows tonight to reduce it. Is this a common thing with ffm's?

Thanks Smile

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - eviltim - 09-19-2013

I've actually had the same problem with the Quattro Air last night..my cheek is a little sore when I wake up in the morning. But its an easy tradeoff for me...much better than waking up 5 times a night with dry mouth or air shooting everywhere.

RE: New FFM's...anyone tried both? - mdh235 - 09-19-2013

The DME is sending me a Quatttro Air to try out in place of my Quattro FX.

I'll let you know what I think about it in a couple of days.

I'm a little concerned reading of leak problems on the Air because that's why I'm looking for a replacement for the FX. Just about every night around 3 a.m. it starts leaking around my cheeks, making enough noise to wake me up. I then either have to tighten the straps to the point of pain to get it to stop, or just take the thing off for the rest of the night. Obviously neither option is a good one.

I guess there's also the Quattro Mirage as a last resort. Here's hoping for a good night's sleep.

BTW, I assume the F&P Simplus isn't for sale in the US, or if it is I can't find anyone selling it. Too bad; it sounds like it's a good mask.