Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Leak Rates - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Leak Rates (/Thread-CPAP-Leak-Rates)

Leak Rates - rhoodphoto - 09-19-2013

I have been on CPAP for 7 nights and I am concerned about my leak rates. My average leak rate is 13.70 and my 95% leak rate is 58.80. I'm not sure what these numbers mean but I know I wake up a lot at night to the "mask squeals". Can anyone give me an idea of where I stand in the leak department? My AHI has gone from 5.80 the first night to 0.3 last night so I must be getting some benefit from the CPAP.

RE: Leak Rates - PsychoMike - 09-19-2013

Some leakage is intentional, Rhood, and as long as you're not getting leak rates over 24, the S9 can compensate for it. An average of 13 isn't perfect (the lower the better is what I've been told)...and the mask squeals / mask farts may indicate the seal isn't ideal...so you may need some adjustments.

Bringing the AHI down to 0.3 is a very good thing...I'm not an RT, but I've been told that <5 is acceptable (it's working) and <1 is great.

Sounds like you're making progress....but don't be afraid to call your DME to discuss it. They may make some adjustments to your headgear or have you try a different mask to see if it will improve things on the leakage front.

RE: Leak Rates - rhoodphoto - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 04:41 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: Some leakage is intentional, Rhood, and as long as you're not getting leak rates over 24, the S9 can compensate for it. An average of 13 isn't perfect (the lower the better is what I've been told)...and the mask squeals / mask farts may indicate the seal isn't ideal...so you may need some adjustments.

Bringing the AHI down to 0.3 is a very good thing...I'm not an RT, but I've been told that <5 is acceptable (it's working) and <1 is great.

Sounds like you're making progress....but don't be afraid to call your DME to discuss it. They may make some adjustments to your headgear or have you try a different mask to see if it will improve things on the leakage front.

Thanks for the info PsychoMike

RE: Leak Rates - eviltim - 09-19-2013

Rhoodphoto I had the same problem. Even if the leaks are within the machines acceptable rates, you may need to work on trying different masks/tightening your mask etc to get them under control, as they can still disturb your sleep.

RE: Leak Rates - xxl - 09-19-2013

I share your pain on the mask leaks. I started out with a Quattro Air. I tried it for a month and was never able to get the leakage under control. I then switched to the Mirage Quattro. My first couple of nights on it were train wrecks because of the leakage and 'mask farts'. On the third night I tightened the mask a bit tighter than I thought it should be and had little to no leakage. I am still not perfect with this but every night I seem to get the hang of things even better. As I look at this every night is a new challenge and I am determined to WIN!

RE: Leak Rates - angeltam - 09-20-2013

PsychoMike - That's good to know that the Resmed can handle leaks up to 24 and that some leakage is intentional. I'm going in to night three with my FFM and hoping I can wear it at least 3 hours tonight. I'm knowing going to worry about leaks and focus on sleeping! I think I've been too focused on if it is leaking or working properly.

Sleep-well

RE: Leak Rates - mdh235 - 09-21-2013

(09-19-2013, 06:05 PM)xxl Wrote: I share your pain on the mask leaks. I started out with a Quattro Air. I tried it for a month and was never able to get the leakage under control.

I just got a Quattro Air yesterday. Once I figured out how the straps worked I put it on.

I thought "This feels great!"

Then I connected the air hose. I don't think there was a place on the mask that wasn't leaking. After repeatedly tightening the top straps, then the bottom, then the top again, etc. I got it so it didn't leak too much, but by then it was getting painful.

Back to the Quattro Fx for the night. I may try again tonight, but my hopes aren't high.

Masks are a real PITA.

RE: Leak Rates - PsychoMike - 09-21-2013

I guess I should clarify....there are intentional leaks (like the venting of the mask so you don't keep re-breathing the same air all the time) and the unintentional ones from a poor seal, mask farts etc.

Most machines can handle an unintentional leak rate in the 20-something range and still get you decent treatment...but the lower, the better.

MHD and XXL, I am hoping for the opposite effect. My average pressure is a lot less, so I am a hoping for some good luck with the Quattro Air. I usually use the Mirage FX, which is the nasal sized version of the same mask and it works for me...but with my current cold, the nasal mask doesn't cut it. I started off with a Mirage Quattro to try a ffm for this situation and ouch! I've got a good sized schnozz and the hard plastic frame in the area of the vents and my nose don't get along (I'm more of a side sleeper). I'm hoping that at my lower pressure, the scaled up version of my Mirage will not leak like a sieve but give me an option when I am plugged up.