Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Maxed out S9 Autoset - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Maxed out S9 Autoset (/Thread-Maxed-out-S9-Autoset)

Pages: 1 2

Maxed out S9 Autoset - JJJ - 10-01-2013

It's been a year and a half since my sleep study, where my diagnosis was severe, 63 on my back and 54 on my side. I currently use an S9 Autoset, which I raised to its maximum a little over a week ago, i.e., now the setting is 14 - 20. AHIs are never over 3.0, average 1.26. Last night it hit 19.88 and a couple nights ago it hit 19.66.

So what do I do if I need > 20 cm H2O? Get a transformer and jack up the voltage? Order a new, younger body? What do people do when they outgrow their autopap?

RE: Maxed out S9 Autoset - me50 - 10-01-2013

(10-01-2013, 12:37 AM)JJJ Wrote: It's been a year and a half since my sleep study, where my diagnosis was severe, 63 on my back and 54 on my side. I currently use an S9 Autoset, which I raised to its maximum a little over a week ago, i.e., now the setting is 14 - 20. AHIs are never over 3.0, average 1.26. Last night it hit 19.88 and a couple nights ago it hit 19.66.

So what do I do if I need > 20 cm H2O? Get a transformer and jack up the voltage? Order a new, younger body? What do people do when they outgrow their autopap?

Great question. I honestly believe part of the reason I had sleep issues for over 2 years is because the pressure was too low on my S9 because when I got my S9 auto set, my pressure has not been as low as my set pressure of 12 and my pressure 95% of the time is 19.9. So, I am seeing a sleep study and pulmonologist and getting another sleep study. I asked the same question and if I remember correctly, I think the answer was a BIPAP machine. I hope I remembered it correctly.

I had 44.8 events per hour during my first sleep study.

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

RE: Maxed out S9 Autoset - SuperSleeper - 10-01-2013

Get an auto-bilevel (Auto-BiPAP)... Basic bi-level doesn't offer the auto functionality, which I think is great for most patients.

Best of both worlds... Auto-BiPAP can do basically what your AutoSet does, plus if necessary, can accommodate higher spreads between inhale/exhale pressures (more than the standard 3.0 cmH2O using C-Flex/A-Flex/EPR, etc.) That's nice if you're having trouble breathing out against a higher pressure. Plus, they allow for the higher pressures when needed (at least up to 25 cmH2O).

If I had no budget concerns, I'd get an Auto-BiPAP simply for the versatility it offers, even if I didn't need all the functionality, especially if I was getting close to the maximum pressures available using standard APAP.

Coffee

(10-01-2013, 07:41 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Get an auto-bilevel (Auto-BiPAP)... Basic bi-level doesn't offer the auto functionality, which I think is great for most patients.

Best of both worlds... Auto-BiPAP can do basically what your AutoSet does, plus if necessary, can accommodate higher spreads between inhale/exhale pressures (more than the standard 3.0 cmH2O using C-Flex/A-Flex/EPR, etc.) That's nice if you're having trouble breathing out against a higher pressure. Plus, they allow for the higher pressures when needed (at least up to 25 cmH2O).

If I had no budget concerns, I'd get an Auto-BiPAP simply for the versatility it offers, even if I didn't need all the functionality, especially if I was getting close to the maximum pressures available using standard APAP.

Coffee

I definitely agree with you!!

RE: Maxed out S9 Autoset - justMongo - 10-01-2013

I concur with supersleeper. Most Bi-level machines are capable of 25 cm-H2O inhalation pressure. And, can drop for exhalation so you don't feel like your trying to exhale against too much pressure.

And, JJJ, I think you know that jacking up the Voltage will not increase pressure.
(But, do PM me if you find where one can order a new, younger body!)

Kindest Regards,

Mongo

RE: Maxed out S9 Autoset - bwexler - 10-01-2013

I think we can get a near unanimous vote on the new younger body, I want one too. One of the few descenders here might be the 4 year old with OSA.
I do agree with the others an Auto BIPAP is probably your answer. Sure glad my auto pressure seldom exceeds 10.0 and my average pressure is less than 6.5.

RE: Maxed out S9 Autoset - archangle - 10-01-2013

It's sort of an insurance/regulatory thing. If it goes over 20, they call it a bilevel and charge more money for it.

(10-01-2013, 11:47 AM)bwexler Wrote: I think we can get a near unanimous vote on the new younger body, I want one too. One of the few descenders here might be the 4 year old with OSA.
I do agree with the others an Auto BIPAP is probably your answer. Sure glad my auto pressure seldom exceeds 10.0 and my average pressure is less than 6.5.

I am sorry that you have apnea requiring a CPAP machine but am happy it was caught and that your pressure level is low!!

As far as the new body, I will take that too as long as it is a healthy one!! lol

RE: Maxed out S9 Autoset - justMongo - 10-01-2013

Any chance setting the max pressure on your autoset machine actually increased your AHI?
Perhaps another sleep study in indicated. At the very least, consult your physician.
He/she needs to be kept informed.

RE: Maxed out S9 Autoset - JJJ - 10-02-2013

(10-01-2013, 02:19 PM)justMongo Wrote: Any chance setting the max pressure on your autoset machine actually increased your AHI? Perhaps another sleep study in indicated. At the very least, consult your physician. He/she needs to be kept informed.

I spent most of my CPAP life (the past year and a half) struggling with leaks. It was only a few weeks ago that I finally got a chin strap/mask combination that works to keep my leaks down where they belong. My pressures never went much above 17 back when I had a lot of leaks. But now that the leaks are down to 3 - 6 L my machine is giving me much more pressure. My AHI has always been fairly low - average 1.26 and never over 3.0. There has not been any big change in the AHI since I got the leaks under control. I think that I am now finally getting the maximum therapy that I couldn't get before because of the leaks.

As for my sleep doc, she's OK, but I'm doing fine on my own. If I need a bipap I might have to get a different prescription, or maybe not. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime I'm just going to keep my eye on the maximum pressure I reach every night. I haven't actually hit 20 cm H2O yet, so I'll just keep tabs on it for a while.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. I didn't realize that a bipap could go higher, so now I know what to do in case my S9 Autoset can't deliver what I need.