Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
european travel with my cpap machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: european travel with my cpap machine (/Thread-european-travel-with-my-cpap-machine)

european travel with my cpap machine - iowaswede - 10-14-2013

I am going to Sweden with my Philips cpap machine, what type of converter to I need for my machine , it is a 12 volt machine

RE: european travel with my cpap machine - PaulaO2 - 10-14-2013

I found the following in a Google search:

Quote:Sweden uses the Europlug (Type C & F) for electricity, with two round prongs.

If you bring small appliances, you should double-check. The shape adapter may not be enough. While basically all personal electronics in recent years will accept both voltages, some older, smaller appliances don't work with the strong 220v current in Europe. Check if the label near the appliance's power cord shows 100-240v and 50-60 Hz. If it does not, you will need a "step-down transformer" (also called a converter).

The converter will reduce the 220 volts from the outlet to provide just 110 volts for the appliance. These converters cost a little more than simple adapters.

But, converters and adapters are very easy to find now. You can go to any specialty store that sells suitcases or travel supplies and they can help you. If it makes you feel more comfortable, take the cord (and if it has a "box" in the middle of the cord, take that, too) with you. Probably nearly any electronics store could help, too, like BestBuy.

Oh, just checked! Supplier #1 has the adapter plugs. But they got several bad reviews for not having 3 prong holes for the CPAP end. Duh.

RE: european travel with my cpap machine - trish6hundred - 10-14-2013

Hi iowaswede,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
have a nice trip.

RE: european travel with my cpap machine - DocWils - 10-15-2013

If you have a power brick, check the label - usually they are multi-voltage, so you can use them anywhere, and only the plug needs to be adapted. That is certainly the case for me, and I use a Philips machine as well. For me I don't bother with a converter, I just buy the plug lead in the local country and stick it into the brick. By now I have one for everywhere, practically... it is the same type of lead you use for your laptop bricks.

RE: european travel with my cpap machine - justMongo - 10-15-2013

(10-15-2013, 03:50 AM)DocWils Wrote: If you have a power brick, check the label - usually they are multi-voltage, so you can use them anywhere, and only the plug needs to be adapted. That is certainly the case for me, and I use a Philips machine as well. For me I don't bother with a converter, I just buy the plug lead in the local country and stick it into the brick. By now I have one for everywhere, practically... it is the same type of lead you use for your laptop bricks.

This^^^

Check the power brick for voltage range and frequency.
Most of Europe is 220 Volts @ 50 Hz.
Here's a power brick for a LAN switch
Note the input is 100 to 240 Volts at 47 to 63 Hertz.
With a proper pin adapter, it will work most anywhere.
[Image: BVLINK09SEPT2013004_zps0d7c03ca.jpg]