Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Humidifier in the Summer? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Humidifier in the Summer? (/Thread-Humidifier-in-the-Summer)

Pages: 1 2

Humidifier in the Summer? - Cutter - 03-18-2012

I have been on CPAP for 10 years and never used a humidifier until last December. Does anyone turn theirs off during the summer months when their is more natural humidity or does everyone run the humidifier all year long?

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - greatunclebill - 03-18-2012

(03-18-2012, 02:22 PM)Cutter Wrote: I have been on CPAP for 10 years and never used a humidifier until last December. Does anyone turn theirs off during the summer months when their is more natural humidity or does everyone run the humidifier all year long?

all year long. never considered otherwise. i believe my machine makes an adjustment for natural humidity.

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - zonk - 03-18-2012

I use mine all seasons but turn it down on warm nights
Passover on hot nights.

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - iSnooze - 03-18-2012

I've been wondering about this also. Thanks for asking the question, Cutter.

On a related note, does the water in the humidifier need to be heated for it to work or can I turn the heater off an still get the benefits of the humidifier?

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - zonk - 03-18-2012

(03-18-2012, 04:16 PM)iSnooze Wrote: On a related note, does the water in the humidifier need to be heated for it to work or can I turn the heater off an still get the benefits of the humidifier?
Yes you can turn it off ( passover) and still get some moisture as long as water in the tank.

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - greatunclebill - 03-18-2012

(03-18-2012, 04:38 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 04:16 PM)iSnooze Wrote: On a related note, does the water in the humidifier need to be heated for it to work or can I turn the heater off an still get the benefits of the humidifier?
Yes you can turn it off ( passover) and still get some moisture as long as water in the tank.

yeah, what zonk said. no matter how you do it, the air is still blowing across the humidifier water whether its on or off. the controls just heat the water, perhaps sending more moisture into the air resulting in higher humidity.

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - Ltmedic66 - 03-18-2012

(03-18-2012, 06:47 PM)greatunclebill Wrote:
(03-18-2012, 04:38 PM)zonk Wrote:

yeah, what zonk said. no matter how you do it, the air is still blowing across the humidifier water whether its on or off. the controls just heat the water, perhaps sending more moisture into the air resulting in higher humidity.

I have a few comments:

1. I like a somewhat high level of humidity (3.5 on the F & P HC 604). I run it year round. However, where I live we run the air conditioner in the summer, so I do not think the humidity is all that high.

2. You can indeed run the humdifier without heat, which is how the original (passover) humidifier ran. It adds some moisture to the air. Some people find cold air irritating, while some like it.

3. Heating the water definitely increases the moisture in the line. First, the water evaporates into the air faster. Next, warm air can carry more moisture than cold air. This is why we get rainout: as the air coold in the line, it can no longer carry the moisture, and it condenses out.

Of course, humidity is a personal comfort thing, so set it where you feel best!

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - PaulaO2 - 03-18-2012

I don't use mine in the summer. The humidity here at times is almost drinkable.

But I will do the passover thing. Sounds like a good idea.

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - TheDuke - 03-26-2012

I use my humidifier every night, all seasons , and at all locations. (I travel quite a bit, ranging from tropics to high western mountains) and I keep the same heat settings at all times. I do use a thick insulated sleeve the complete length of my hose to avoid "rainout" and it works to perfection.

RE: Humidifier in the Summer? - zonk - 03-26-2012

Hi Duke
Let SuperSleeper know you,re here so he can add post count from our old forum.