Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. (/Thread-First-sleep-study-Scored-a-34-on-the-AHI-Still-can-t-get-any-CPAP-equipment)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - tiltrite - 03-19-2012

Are you recommending that I have a couple slugs before my next sleep test?

If I know it will work/help I'm at the point where I'd happily do it just to ensure that I sleep and thus get fitted with a machine. I just worry that it would really throw my numbers off. What do you think?

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - Dreamcatcher - 03-19-2012

(03-19-2012, 05:24 PM)tiltrite Wrote: Are you recommending that I have a couple slugs before my next sleep test?

If I know it will work/help I'm at the point where I'd happily do it just to ensure that I sleep and thus get fitted with a machine. I just worry that it would really throw my numbers off. What do you think?

Too-funnyToo-funny You have people talking about popping some drugs and your worried about a wee drinkLaugh-a-lot

Sleep-well

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - greatunclebill - 03-19-2012

(03-19-2012, 05:24 PM)tiltrite Wrote: Are you recommending that I have a couple slugs before my next sleep test?

personally i wouldn't do anything. just talk to the doc about it, if he thinks it is better than sleeping pills. that is unless you can afford another test if this one fails. the doc knows what different things will do to the results.

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - PaulaO2 - 03-19-2012

It would throw your numbers off. Zonk is being Zonk. Any other time, it might not make a difference but you want to be as "clean" as possible for this test.

If noise bothers you, take ear plugs.

If it is the climate, take your own blankie.

If it was the bed, take your own pillow (I did. I also took my body pillow)

Do whatever it is you need to do to get to sleep and be comfortable. Try some of the food or supplement suggestions between now and your second test.

If you still cannot properly sleep, then ask the sleep doc to let you use an APAP at home for a week or so. It can act just like a sleep test except it will not note oxygen levels, body movements, or adequately/reliably distinguish between centrals and obstructive events. If there is no concern about those, then the APAP for a week or so will do just as good.

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - tiltrite - 03-19-2012

Believe you me, I'm not afraid of a wee drink. Or two. Or ten... Mix drugs with that? No problem, what do you got?

Nevermind that. Trying to turn over a new leaf here, and want to do this thing as cleanly and accurately as I can. So thanks to those who are offering constructive help, and to the jokers, GFY.

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - Netskier - 03-19-2012

(03-19-2012, 04:54 PM)tiltrite Wrote: Thanks all for the information. I'm still quite new to treating this condition, and want to proceed in a smart, measured fashion. I'm 5'10'' and 225 lbs. I put on about 40 lbs. in the last couple of years, and have noticed the apnea symptoms since then. Hopefully weight loss will help, but in the mean time, I need to breathe and sleep. At this point I actually dread bed time, as I know that the choking and gasping is about to start.

My last tech seemed to be on the ball. I don't think she fell asleep. Maybe I will bring her an espresso next time.

The easiest way to stop/reduce your apnea without equipment is to sleep upright. Your apnea should go to zero if you sleep vertically tied to a pole, or even half vertically with just your torso upright, giving up comfort to eliminate apnea. A recliner might be the most comfortable way to do this. I can't sleep worth a damn sitting totally upright. A hospital bed would be a good way to go, and might be rented or bought used from Ebay or Craigslist, etc.

I bought a foam wedge pillow from Bed, Bath and Beyond for thirty bucks, and put two memory foam contoured pillows on top of that to try to minimize my apnea while I waited for Kaiser to order my PAP. It worked ok, but I am happy to no longer use the wedge. I am still using the pillows though because I want to prevent as much apnea as possible without relying on my machine. Plus pillows keep working during power outages.

Meanwhile, tie something to your back that makes it too uncomfortable to sleep on your back, because apnea is worse on your back. Your tongue falls due to gravity, and this means straight down into your airway while you are on your back. On the other hand, when tied upright to a tree, your tongue falls down toward your stomach, and not back into your airway. The recliner/hospital bed results in a little of both. Sleeping on your side but inclined up in a hospital bed might yield the most comfortable least apnea position. The goal is to sleep on your side and never on your back, unless your equipment is totally effective at preventing apnea while on your back.

Let me know how well this works for you.

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - Netskier - 03-19-2012

(03-19-2012, 04:59 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-19-2012, 04:46 PM)Netskier Wrote: I prefer non-pharmacological, more natural sleeping aids, such as Melatonin or Tryptophan (found in bananas). Warm milk before bed is a traditional home remedy for insomnia. Two or three bananas plus warm milk might do it, and you could test this at home.
Me too prefer banana Banana smoothie with a double shot of rum.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Banana-can-be-an-ultimate-saviour

Zonk is joking. Alcohol increases apnea. Alcohol makes it easier for some to fall asleep, but also lessens sleep quality, changes EEG etc.

So do sleeping pills. Hence my advice to use home remedies and supplements to fall asleep.

Zonk also posted that cherry juice and bananas facilitate sleep. He really meant a cherry juice banana sundae before bed. Just joking, but that might be good, perhaps leave out the ice cream

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - zonk - 03-19-2012

(03-19-2012, 04:59 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-19-2012, 04:46 PM)Netskier Wrote: I prefer non-pharmacological, more natural sleeping aids, such as Melatonin or Tryptophan (found in bananas). Warm milk before bed is a traditional home remedy for insomnia. Two or three bananas plus warm milk might do it, and you could test this at home.
Me too prefer banana Banana smoothie with a double shot of rum.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Banana-can-be-an-ultimate-saviour
This is a response to the quote got nothing to do with the topic or an advice just when banana is mentioned thought of a banana smoothie as it,s a nice sunny day.
Best of luck with the titration.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Preparing-for-an-Overnight-Sleep-Study
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Sleep-Study-Key-Terms

Netskier: I'm going to try stacking up some pillows to get upright. I think it's helped in the past, so I'll try it again. Thanks. The plan for this Thursday's sleep test is to stay off of anything but the most low impact sleep aid. Melatonin. Tylenol PM, etc... My goal is to get to sleep with as little drugs/alcohol as possible so that the numbers for the titration are accurate.

RE: First sleep study: Scored a 34 on the AHI. Still can't get any CPAP equipment. - tiltrite - 03-20-2012

Sleep doctor came through with a prescription for Ambien for the night of my test. He prescribed four 5mg tablets. Reading up that 10mg is the standard dose, so I might just take that. Looking forward to this Thursday night's sleep test so I can finally get this process underway.