Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Symptoms] First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Symptoms] First night with O2 meter - low of 78 (/Thread-Symptoms-First-night-with-O2-meter-low-of-78)

Pages: 1 2 3

First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - Peter_C - 10-26-2013

First, I've attached a couple of reports. The actual in bed trying to sleep period was 1AM to 7:45AM. This was done with my new mask, and my leak rate was only 0.3L/s (or 18L/m). EPAP of 8, PS of 7, IPAP of 15, max IPAP of 25.

Pressure = 15
AHI = 10.4
AI = 1.9

I wouldn't say I awoke 'refreshed', but neither did I have to struggle (like usual) to get up this morning. I would say (first night with new mask and lower leak rate) that my leak rate at first blush is/was the cause of my poor sleep lately, as last night was a dramatic change over the last few weeks.

However, I am concerned with my O2 stats. Many drops below 88, with a low of 78 (NOTE: I had an alarm going off at 85, which woke me each time). I fear that had I not used the alarm function, my numbers may have been even worse.

FYI - the device is a new CMS50F with USB (no bluetooth), cost was $139, much lower pricing available on Ebay, but I chose to buy from a more comfortable source. I believe this is a great device, rechargeable battery, some 30 hours of data storage, accurate to 2 points (average), came with the software, both for real-time, and review.

I'm very open to thoughts, suggestions, and opinions, both on these numbers, and any possible changes I might try for an improvement? I am currently thinking about raising my PS a point or 2, as I've read that tends to increase O2 stats?

[attachment=527]
[attachment=528]

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - DOOM_NX - 10-26-2013

Hi. Maybe you should discuss these statistics with your doctor?

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - pumpkln - 10-26-2013

You need to talk to to your doctor, and show him your results.
I live at 5000 ft, and drop to 80% with CPAP. I use oxygen supplementation at night, it makes a big difference how I feel.
BTW I am fine at sea level, 90%+ all night with out oxygen.
The concentrators can be noisy, I have mine on 50 ft tubing in another room.

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - bwexler - 10-26-2013

Peter did the major events coincide with hi leaks shown in Sleepyhead?
I am also curious why to two drops below 80% do not register as events?

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - Peter_C - 10-26-2013

Due to fixed income, no insurance, and a $250 office visit cost, I am trying to avoid seeing my sleep doc until July 2014 (when I get on Medicare). Sadly, my machine uses a weird proprietary connector and reader (think S8) to view data, so I only see what is on my LCD screen.

So currently, my 'tools', settings and data I can see are: (old data)

Settings:
MODE: VAUTO
Max IPAP: 25
Min EPAP: 7
Press SUP: 6
Ti Max: 4.0s
Ti Min: 0.3s
EXHALATION: MED
SMARTSTART: ON
Mask: STANDARD
Leak Alert: OFF
TRIGGER: Low
CYCLE: Low
Tube Length: 3m
MaxSettle: off

Data from last night (10/19/2013)
USEAGE: 9:48hrs

Item | DAY | WEEK |
LEAK: 0.46L/s 0.48L/s
VT: 420-860 360-780
Resp Rate: 10-15 10-15
MV: 5.2-10.3 5.0-9.6
PRESS: 13.4 13.2
AHI: 19.6 11.2
AI: 4.4 2.3
%SPONT T: 0% 0%
%SPONT C: 0% 0%

And the data from the CMS50F, as shown in the reports above.

In a perfect world, seeing the sleep doc is the best answer, or even my primary care doc. But if possible, I need to avoid those for the time being. I also have hopes of getting a new machine next July as well, as my current machine has a bit over 8000 hours on it.

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - LOVEDOG - 10-26-2013

(10-26-2013, 08:25 AM)Peter_C Wrote: First, I've attached a couple of reports. The actual in bed trying to sleep period was 1AM to 7:45AM. This was done with my new mask, and my leak rate was only 0.3L/s (or 18L/m). EPAP of 8, PS of 7, IPAP of 15, max IPAP of 25.

Pressure = 15
AHI = 10.4
AI = 1.9

I wouldn't say I awoke 'refreshed', but neither did I have to struggle (like usual) to get up this morning. I would say (first night with new mask and lower leak rate) that my leak rate at first blush is/was the cause of my poor sleep lately, as last night was a dramatic change over the last few weeks.

However, I am concerned with my O2 stats. Many drops below 88, with a low of 78 (NOTE: I had an alarm going off at 85, which woke me each time). I fear that had I not used the alarm function, my numbers may have been even worse.

FYI - the device is a new CMS50F with USB (no bluetooth), cost was $139, much lower pricing available on Ebay, but I chose to buy from a more comfortable source. I believe this is a great device, rechargeable battery, some 30 hours of data storage, accurate to 2 points (average), came with the software, both for real-time, and review.

I'm very open to thoughts, suggestions, and opinions, both on these numbers, and any possible changes I might try for an improvement? I am currently thinking about raising my PS a point or 2, as I've read that tends to increase O2 stats?

I found that loosing weight helped me. I'm not going to tell you that it takes the apnea away, but it sure helps with all those events.......just sayinEat-popcorn

LOVEDOG

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - MAPnea - 10-26-2013

Hi, Peter C,
Are you taking any medications at night? I notice even taking Benadryl at night decreases my O2 levels a bit. Because I live at a high altitude (5600'), I use supplemental oxygen at night - but I doubt that is your problem living in Akron, Ohio! Just like Pumpkin, I do much better at a lower elevation. You'll feel 100% better if you can keep your 02 levels above 88%, believe me!

Hang in there for more suggestions - but remember, the price of seeing your doctor could save your life.

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - Peter_C - 10-27-2013

We''ll see what another night brings, this time with the alarm off, so it doesn't wake me.

Some 70-odd pounds lost to date, it's slow but it's happening.

Sadly, I am on many different meds currently, though most are taken in the AM.

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - MAPnea - 10-27-2013

Wow!! You've lost 70 pounds! Good for you Peter_C. I admire your determination and hope your O2 levels improve tonight. Please keep us posted.

RE: First night with O2 meter - low of 78 - Peter_C - 10-27-2013

BAD NIGHT

Data from last night's sleep session. In bed a bit over nine hours.
Lowest O2 was 79%. Woke up on my back, feeling bleh!

Bad Leak rate 0.74L/s (44.4L/m)
PRESS 15.2
AHI 65.7
AI 22.1

Event Data SpO2 Pulse
Total Events 456 215
Time In Events(min) 146.5 92.3
Avg. Event Dur.(sec) 19.3 25.8
Index (1/hr) 47.2 22.3
% Artifact 0.1 0.1
Adjusted Index (1/hr) 47.3 22.3
%SpO2 Data
Basal SpO2(%) 92.1
Time(min) < 88% 16.4
Events < 88% 134
Minimum SpO2(%) 79
Avg. Low SpO2(%) 88.3
Avg. Low SpO2 < 88% 85.9
Pulse Data
Avg Pulse Rate(bpm) 75.4
Low Pulse Rate(bpm) 53

These last two nights are a great example of why a single night sleep study can't sure an entire picture. Here I was in my own bed two nights in a row, one night was 'OK', and the next night was 'bad'. But the O2 stats generally look bad in my opinion.

First, I need to get the leak rate both down, and to stay down. But, I also think some changes might be a good idea! This machine in 'auto' can raise the overall pressures, but cannot on it's own change the 'pressure support' (the difference between EPAP and IPAP), so I am thinking that's the number to start with.

[attachment=529][attachment=530]