Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Newbie - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Newbie (/Thread-CPAP-Newbie)

Pages: 1 2

Newbie - Doelie - 11-06-2013

Hi, I'm still new with CPAP, only paid the big amount today after the trial. I have one question: if you guys wake up at night and can't sleep, is it better to leave the masks on or off? I tend to take mine of as it starts to annoy me and then off course falls asleep later without it... any suggestions?Thinking-about[/font]

RE: Newbie - DeepBreathing - 11-06-2013

(11-06-2013, 05:19 AM)Doelie Wrote: Hi, I'm still new with CPAP, only paid the big amount today after the trial. I have one question: if you guys wake up at night and can't sleep, is it better to leave the masks on or off? I tend to take mine of as it starts to annoy me and then off course falls asleep later without it... any suggestions?Thinking-about[/font]

G'day Doelie, welcome to the club.

Taking the mask off seems to affect most people at first. It is something that gets better with time, as your body gets used to this new way of breathing.

I think it's better to put it back on straight away - a bit like getting back on the horse. Just make sure that it's fitting well with no leaks and the straps are comfortable. Also, being in Toowoomba you probably need to keep an eye on the humidifier settings to make sure you're not getting "rainout" (drops of water coming through the mask) which can be really annoying.

Good luck and happy dreams.

RE: Newbie - boar - 11-06-2013

I tend to wake up like at 6am for some reason. Usually, when i see daylight, i take the mask off and roll back to bed but if I cant see daylight then I will try to keep it on and try to go back to sleep.

I am a newbie too.

RE: Newbie - robysue - 11-06-2013

(11-06-2013, 05:19 AM)Doelie Wrote: if you guys wake up at night and can't sleep, is it better to leave the masks on or off? I tend to take mine of as it starts to annoy me and then off course falls asleep later without it... any suggestions?Thinking-about
If you wake up and you cannot get back to sleep and you cannot stand to have the damn mask on your face one more minute, 'tis best to take the mask off, and get up out of bed and go into a different room.

Seriously. Force yourself to get out of bed and go into a different room and so something relaxing and soothing and sleep inducing and return to the bedroom only when you are able to face putting the mask back on and trying to get back to sleep using the machine.

Every time you allow yourself to fall asleep without your mask on, you are encouraging the part of your (unconscious) mind that still does not want to believe that you must sleep with this thing attached to your face. And the bad habit of waking up and taking the mask off so that you can get back to sleep will become firmly established. And bad habits are difficult to break.

RE: Newbie - cbramsey - 11-06-2013

Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

RE: Newbie - trish6hundred - 11-06-2013

Hi Doelie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What robysue said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Best of luck with your CPAP therapy and keep on trying, it does get better as you and your body get used to this "new" way of sleeping.

RE: Newbie - Bompa - 11-06-2013

When i first started I was experiencing the same problem.
Told myself to leave it on, try meditating and go back to sleep.
After a few nights doing this the problem of wearing the mask disappeared.

Good Luck and hang in there.
Coffee

RE: Newbie - justMongo - 11-06-2013

Welcome.

Good to hear from a Dinky-di from the land down under.
Most everyone takes their mask off at first. You'll get used to it.
Or, if the mask isn't comfortable, you may have to try another.

CPAP is mostly about abating the long term effects. So, the more time sleeping on the machine, the better for things like heart health.
Napping without it usually isn't a big deal unless you're a person for whom O2 desaturation is bad.

RE: Newbie - Peter_C - 11-06-2013

(11-06-2013, 08:15 AM)robysue Wrote:
(11-06-2013, 05:19 AM)Doelie Wrote: if you guys wake up at night and can't sleep, is it better to leave the masks on or off? I tend to take mine of as it starts to annoy me and then off course falls asleep later without it... any suggestions?Thinking-about
If you wake up and you cannot get back to sleep and you cannot stand to have the damn mask on your face one more minute, 'tis best to take the mask off, and get up out of bed and go into a different room.

Seriously. Force yourself to get out of bed and go into a different room and so something relaxing and soothing and sleep inducing and return to the bedroom only when you are able to face putting the mask back on and trying to get back to sleep using the machine.

Every time you allow yourself to fall asleep without your mask on, you are encouraging the part of your (unconscious) mind that still does not want to believe that you must sleep with this thing attached to your face. And the bad habit of waking up and taking the mask off so that you can get back to sleep will become firmly established. And bad habits are difficult to break.

I agree completely with all of the above.

Also, how bout doing some practice sessions (not in bed), but wearing your mask and reading a book, or watching TV? This may help you to become more comfortable with the mask?

RE: Newbie - Shastzi - 11-06-2013

Welcome

I had to do the same thing. Keep the mask going at all costs till you get used to it.
My cat convinced me.
If I expire in my sleep she'll likely starve before anyone can check on the house here.
So all I have to do is look at her little face every day and that's plenty of incentive.

Wink
Been on CPAP a year now and it's still no fun but NOT using it is a hundred times worse.