Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
How long to feel refreshed? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: How long to feel refreshed? (/Thread-How-long-to-feel-refreshed)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How long to feel refreshed? - zonk - 03-20-2012

how long did it take before you started waking up feeling refreshed?
some people feel a difference in a few days, and for others it's a few months or more.
Please vote in the poll, then add a reply if you wish to comment further.

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - Dreamcatcher - 03-20-2012

For me its never and after 2 years Im still waiting to wake up and feel great. Just doesnt happen in my bed (Like alot of things Too-funny) Went to my doctor who said "It's just you and your not getting any younger" (46)Unsure

I was so excited when I first got my machine, I could cut out all the crap in my diet and the power drinks and start to feel better well been over the 2 year line and still havent got the wow feeling and doubt I ever will but I still live in hope Big Grin

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - USMC1968 - 03-20-2012

I started March 7, 2012 and felt BETTER the next morning. NO more potty breaks during the night, not sleepy at 4pm and at 64 years old done feel as OLD. Only wish I had listened to my mother in law and done this a year ago

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - SuperSleeper - 03-20-2012

(03-20-2012, 07:50 AM)USMC1968 Wrote: Only wish I had listened to my mother in law and done this a year ago

Oh my... I'm soooo tempted to insert a mother-in-law joke here right now... no.... must... refrain... myself.... Blink Tongue

Too-funny

Anyway, I voted for 1-3 months... although I felt somewhat better right away, the real improvement was gradual over the course of several weeks.

To this day, I still don't feel like I used to feel when I was younger (very refreshed).. but I attribute that to being over 50. Cool

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - b360155 - 03-20-2012

At the moment, I had to cast my vote as "never". Crying-into-tissue I started CPAP therapy on 9/30/11 and have done a lot of experimentation with different setups as far as masks, cushion/nasal pillow sizes, mask liners, pressure settings, CPAP vs Autoset, ramp/no ramp, EPR/no EPR, etc. Throughout, my AHI scores have been excellent, below 1.0 AHI almost always. I feel marginally better, a little more energy than before, but still feel kind of drowsy in the afternoons. For some reason, I would usually wake up 1 or 2 times during the evening.

About 2 weeks ago, I settled on a single setup for settings, mask, etc and have quit experimenting (for now at least) and I'm starting to sleep through the night more often and beginning to dream a bit which I was never big at doing before starting therapy. So, I'm hopeful that this might be a positive sign, this trend will continue and that I'll start seeing more benefits of the therapy in the not too distant future.Tongue

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - zimlich - 03-20-2012

I have been on therapy for over four years. I also have taken Provigil/Nuvigil until recently. I sleep ten hours a night, which is an improvement in my 12-13 and am finally starting to wake up feeling ready to get up (much to my one year old dogs relief). I was never able to get my AHI down to a reasonable level. I started ASV last week and in one week have cut my AHI in half- down to 14. I also am Bipolar with major depressive symptoms which complicate my moods and may cause the excessive sleepiness. I am on a heavy medication regimen, also. So I am far from your typical person with OSA. However I do believe OSA therapy has improved my life and that my mood disorder and meds are the main complicating factors. My doctor believes this also.

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - greatunclebill - 03-20-2012

never. with some of my other medical conditions i feel great just to wake up.

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - markdirk@gmail.com - 03-20-2012

I am replying without voting because I am a real newbie - just had night #4. So far it feels like I am waking up from a "deeper" place - and I am waking up groggy, which never used to happen (always wide awake at 6 am, no coffee needed.) Will keep y'all posted....

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - SuperSleeper - 03-20-2012

(03-20-2012, 03:53 PM)markdirk@gmail.com Wrote: I am replying without voting because I am a real newbie - just had night #4. So far it feels like I am waking up from a "deeper" place - and I am waking up groggy, which never used to happen (always wide awake at 6 am, no coffee needed.) Will keep y'all posted....

Mark, you're probably just now getting quality deep sleep with CPAP and your body will crave more of this new sleep with CPAP... until it can "catch up" from what some have called a "sleep debt" or "Sleep Deficit".

This is normal for many newbies to CPAP. For the first few weeks on CPAP, you might want to allow your body to get more sleep than normal, so it can catch up. This is your body telling you, "hey man, I love this new quality sleep with CPAP, why the heck are you waking up now? Let's keep doing this CPAP stuff for a bit more..." Too-funny

RE: How long to feel refreshed? - b360155 - 03-20-2012

(03-20-2012, 03:53 PM)markdirk@gmail.com Wrote: I am replying without voting because I am a real newbie - just had night #4. So far it feels like I am waking up from a "deeper" place - and I am waking up groggy, which never used to happen (always wide awake at 6 am, no coffee needed.) Will keep y'all posted....

I've always heard that it's not a very good idea to use your email address for your Login ID/Nickname in forums. Think it has something to do with spammers. So, you might want to come up with a new nickname...but we're happy to have you join us!Coffee