Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP (/Thread-Has-anyone-heard-or-used-this-device-instead-of-CPAP)

Pages: 1 2

Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - Peyt - 11-12-2013

Hi
I am new to this board, but have been suffering from Sleep apnea for years. I have been tested with a mild apnea (8 episodes per hour) and was given a CPAP about 3 years ago, I set it aside after trying for 2 weeks because I simply could not sleep.

Anyways, just came across this youtube video and wanted to ask if anyone else has tried the Aveo TDS, is it really helpful or is it a scam?

I can not post links yet because I am new in this forum but you can see it if
you go to youtube and type :

AveoTSD Snoring and Sleep Apnea Oral Appliance

I looked it up on amazon , it costs $179 and I don't want to throw away my money if it's a scam... so I decided to post on this site to get some feed back.

Please share your thoughts.

RE: Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - trish6hundred - 11-12-2013

Hi Peyt,
WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm not familiar with the device you are talking about.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.

RE: Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - me50 - 11-12-2013

I don't know anything about this device but, I wouldn't consider it a positive therapy for OSA without having a sleep study to confirm that it controls OSA. Just my opinion.

RE: Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - pumpkln - 11-12-2013

I tried the AveoTSD, you have to be able to stick your tongue out straight ahead. I am tongue tied, and not a candidate for the AveoTSD.
Be sure to purchase from a dentist who has a sizing kit to be sure you can get your tongue in properly.
Google AveoTSD and read the Canadian literature, it was approved for mild sleep apnea in Canada, and is available over counter.

RE: Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - skyler - 11-13-2013

It sounds plausible to me. I did watch the you tube video. One thing I imagine would be a problem is a dry mouth.
Dental Appliances do work well for some people, so I would explore different treatment modalities if I were you.

RE: Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - Peyt - 11-14-2013

First, thanks everyone that wrote so far,
I ended up buying it today. I found it much cheaper on Ebay (only $94.99 including shipping) and I am so curious that I decided to do it.

(11-12-2013, 09:46 PM)pumpkln Wrote: I tried the AveoTSD, you have to be able to stick your tongue out straight ahead. I am tongue tied, and not a candidate for the AveoTSD.
Be sure to purchase from a dentist who has a sizing kit to be sure you can get your tongue in properly.
Google AveoTSD and read the Canadian literature, it was approved for mild sleep apnea in Canada, and is available over counter.

Yes, after doing some reading I noticed everywhere else around the world it's OTC but it requires a prescription in USA.

I know it may not work out for me, but what the heck! ... There are several benefits to this device for me vs. CPAP... first of all, I don't have to hear the constant noise of the machine... I also toss and turn alot and
having a tube connected to my body will make me wake up everytime I turn in my bed. another problem I have is when i am sleeping I open my mouth and with CPAP as soon as one opens their mouth while the machine is connected air comes out of the mouth which always made me wake up..... I am sure this device will not be a walk in the park for me either, and it will have it's own challenges but I will give it a shot...

RE: Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - me50 - 11-14-2013

Peyt said: There are several benefits to this device for me vs. CPAP... first of all, I don't have to hear the constant noise of the machine... I also toss and turn alot and having a tube connected to my body will make me wake up everytime I turn in my bed. another problem I have is when i am sleeping I open my mouth and with CPAP as soon as one opens their mouth while the machine is connected air comes out of the mouth which always made me wake up.....

me50 said: you said that you only tried CPAP for 2 weeks. Most people don't take to the machine immediately and it takes a while for them to adjust to it. The issues you mention (noise of the machine, tube issue, opening your mouth) are solvable issues. The good thing about CPAP, provided that you have a machine that is data capable, is that you can monitor your therapy and you cannot with the device you are going to try. If you are not monitoring your OSA, you don't know what kind of problems are happening to your body (heart issues, etc.).

I hope that you are successful with this device. I also hope that you are getting regular tests to make sure that your heart and other organs, etc. are not being affected by OSA that has not been treated.

Welcome to the forum.

(11-14-2013, 05:23 AM)me50 Wrote: me50 said: you said that you only tried CPAP for 2 weeks. Most people don't take to the machine immediately and it takes a while for them to adjust to it. The issues you mention (noise of the machine, tube issue, opening your mouth) are solvable issues. The good thing about CPAP, provided that you have a machine that is data capable, is that you can monitor your therapy and you cannot with the device you are going to try. If you are not monitoring your OSA, you don't know what kind of problems are happening to your body (heart issues, etc.).

I hope that you are successful with this device. I also hope that you are getting regular tests to make sure that your heart and other organs, etc. are not being affected by OSA that has not been treated.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi me50,
you say the issues I mentioned are solvable,
how? I mean, besides just saying get used to it which is what my Dr. said back when I got the CPAP! .. please elaborate as to how the noise can go away, how when I toss and turn at night the tube will not pull my face and make me wake up and how when my mouth opens and the air gushes out I won't wake up... and 1 more thing I forgot to mention is that I like to sleep on my belly. been doing it since I was a child. Impossible with CPAP but I can see it possible with this device....

Again I just ordered this device and I might completely hate it when I get it in a week or 10 days, but for now the only discomfort I am expecting according to what I have read in different forums is excessive salvation in the first week and it coming off until I know exactly how to adjust it.... oh yeah, and possible numbness of the tong for the first 30 min-1 hour after i wake up in the morning...

As far as knowing if it works or not, it's a matter of being able to use the device first. What is the point of having a CPAP machine that supposedly works if I can't use it.... I am expecting to feel the difference in my energy after a few nights of using this device... If I don't feel any better, I am going to complain about this device too....

I do still have my CPAP , if you know ways to solve my issues with CPAP please elaborate, because if I don't like this new device, I might give CPAP another shot... so please elaborate how these problems could be solved. thanks

RE: Has anyone heard or used this device instead of CPAP - me50 - 11-14-2013

Most people don't take to the machine immediately and it takes a while for them to adjust to it. The issues you mention (noise of the machine, tube issue, opening your mouth) are solvable issues.

Two weeks isn't a long enough time to get used to CPAP therapy. Most will tell you that it takes a few months or longer to adapt to CPAP therapy and the machine.

Noise from the machine: Where is the noise coming from? Over time, we get used to noise. If someone is up and has the tv on loud and another person is trying to sleep, eventually they go to sleep and are able to tune out the noise. You could turn on a radio, buy a machine that plays beach sounds or something similar to mask the machine noise. Find out where the noise is coming from and see if there is something you could do to make it quieter.

The tube issue: Some people have a hook where they put their hose on.

Opening your mouth: Chin straps, use a ffm.

You could also try a natural sleep aid like Somnapure to help you at night which may help you ignore the noise from whatever is causing it.

But, the most you can do for the noise is try CPAP therapy for several months because you will have a better chance to adapt to it if you give it more time (and do something as suggested above to cover up the machine noise).

While this device you ordered may work, you still have no way to monitor if it is controlling your apnea. Without controlling your apnea, you risk the chance of causing health issues, some of which are serious. If you stop breathing and there isn't something to help you start again, you may not survive.

Usually when someone has apnea, they always will have apnea. Very few have lost weight, had surgery, etc. and their apnea was cured. At least with apnea, if the person has a data capable machine and watches the data, they can see if the apnea is under control.

I am sure there are other members here that can offer you some other suggestions. As much as I don't like having to depend on CPAP therapy, for me, it is much better than the alternative.

Hope you will give CPAP therapy a chance again and try it for 6 months and see how it goes (along with other suggestions to help with the noise, hose issue and opening your mouth).

(11-14-2013, 01:33 PM)me50 Wrote: Most people don't take to the machine immediately and it takes a while for them to adjust to it. The issues you mention (noise of the machine, tube issue, opening your mouth) are solvable issues.

Two weeks isn't a long enough time to get used to CPAP therapy. Most will tell you that it takes a few months or longer to adapt to CPAP therapy and the machine.

Noise from the machine: Where is the noise coming from? Over time, we get used to noise. If someone is up and has the tv on loud and another person is trying to sleep, eventually they go to sleep and are able to tune out the noise. You could turn on a radio, buy a machine that plays beach sounds or something similar to mask the machine noise. Find out where the noise is coming from and see if there is something you could do to make it quieter.

The tube issue: Some people have a hook where they put their hose on.

Opening your mouth: Chin straps, use a ffm.

You could also try a natural sleep aid like Somnapure to help you at night which may help you ignore the noise from whatever is causing it.

But, the most you can do for the noise is try CPAP therapy for several months because you will have a better chance to adapt to it if you give it more time (and do something as suggested above to cover up the machine noise).

While this device you ordered may work, you still have no way to monitor if it is controlling your apnea. Without controlling your apnea, you risk the chance of causing health issues, some of which are serious. If you stop breathing and there isn't something to help you start again, you may not survive.

Usually when someone has apnea, they always will have apnea. Very few have lost weight, had surgery, etc. and their apnea was cured. At least with apnea, if the person has a data capable machine and watches the data, they can see if the apnea is under control.

I am sure there are other members here that can offer you some other suggestions. As much as I don't like having to depend on CPAP therapy, for me, it is much better than the alternative.

Hope you will give CPAP therapy a chance again and try it for 6 months and see how it goes (along with other suggestions to help with the noise, hose issue and opening your mouth).

Thanks Mer50, Those are good suggestions, especially the chin strap. I was actually looking to buy a chin strap online when I bumped into this new device... but if this device does not work, I will give CPAP another try for sure and use your suggestions.