Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
need aswer please help (PR humidifier) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: need aswer please help (PR humidifier) (/Thread-need-aswer-please-help-PR-humidifier)

need aswer please help (PR humidifier) - jerry101 - 11-15-2013

high everyone,i'm new to this forum and would like to find out if someone can help me with my question ?i'm a 67 yr old male , been on a bi-pap for about two years now,when i first started treatment i had a hell of a time getting used to sleeping with my full face mask ( i've tried other styles but could not tolerate them ),i'm also a mouth breather,so i need a chin srap to sleep, i had surgery in august 2013 for hip replacement,surgery went fine no problems,but had problems with medications that were administered,shortness of breath, constipation ,dizzyness ...before the operation i was getting between for and five hours a night, now i'm getting between two and half to four hours,when i wake up during the night it seems like my humidity is hot,and i feel the container and its warm,on a setting of 2, i change the setting to four its quite cooler but still wakes me,the question i have is should i set the humidifier to zero or what ? and if i do is this shutting the humidifier off,don't want to end up with dry mouth or nose...thanks for your help

RE: need aswer please help - Bompa - 11-15-2013

Don't know about Resperonics but don't give up there are Resperonic users here who will be able to help.
I finally went with a Nasal Pillow Mask and a chin restraint.
Hang in there my friend, help is on the way.
Coffee

RE: need aswer please help - zonk - 11-15-2013

(11-15-2013, 06:12 PM)jerry101 Wrote: when i wake up during the night it seems like my humidity is hot,and i feel the container and its warm,on a setting of 2, i change the setting to four its quite cooler but still wakes me,the question i have is should i set the humidifier to zero or what ? and if i do is this shutting the humidifier off,don't want to end up with dry mouth or nose...thanks for your help
Hi jerry101 and welcome
I don,t assume your machine 60 series with the heated hose option. Humidity level set at 4 would be warmer than 2 (not cooler)
At zero, the humidifier is off, does not heat the water but still get some moisture. Everyone is different, cannot say whats works for you, experiment and you find your sweet spot .... Good luck

Find the model number of the machine (located at the label underside of the machine (remove water tank before checking) so you can ask for the clinical manual via Email http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

Nasal washes before bed helps nasal passages from drying out. I use sinus rinse (squeezy bottle) an hour before bedtime
Some folks use biotenne mouth wash for dry mouth, not a lot we can do when using full face mask and breathing thru the mouth

RE: need aswer please help (PR humidifier) - PaulaO2 - 11-15-2013

I updated your thread title so the right people with the answer can help you.

RE: need aswer please help (PR humidifier) - trish6hundred - 11-15-2013

Hi jerry101,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question.

RE: need aswer please help (PR humidifier) - archangle - 11-17-2013

Humidity is trial and error. Try different settings and see what works for you. As long as it doesn't dry you out too badly, or feel uncomfortable, there is no "wrong" setting.

If it feels too hot or humid, turn it down. If it's too dry, turn it up.

However, sometimes strange things happen, and you have to turn it down when you'd think you'd need to turn it up or vice versa. Experiment.

RE: need aswer please help (PR humidifier) - Sleepster - 11-17-2013

The machine has a humidity sensor in it, so when the humidity in the air is low, it'll automatically raise the temperature of the water in attempt to compensate. That could be what's happening.

Set it to the lowest setting that makes you comfortable. If 0 is too low, raise it to 1.