Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SD cards and data safety - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SD cards and data safety (/Thread-SD-cards-and-data-safety)

Pages: 1 2

SD cards and data safety - drgrimes - 11-22-2013

I've read lots of threads on this subject so i will try not to rehash previous discussions. Luckily i am past the compliance stage so it doesn't matter if i screw up my own data....well not too much. Here's what i do for data safety:

I look at my data often, sometimes everyday and i get some goofy messages about overwriting files and when i put the card back in the Resmed, every time it wants to erase the card, or write over. So, i let it but the data is always there next time.

I have created a customized report that includes all the data. I open each day and create a report. It creates a nice PDF file five pages long. I don't bother printing, I just do a "save as" and name it that day's date. I have that report for everyday since i started using the Autoset. So if the card fails or i do something stupid i have all the data.

Now i can relax because the Adobe PDf files are not tied to the card or my machine. They are just data files saved on my laptop. I have created a shortcut that takes me to that folder, so i can make sure they are all there. NOTE: where Rescan saves them is a bit of an odd place. On my Windows 8 (hate it) is in
c:\users\public\documents\resmed\rescan3\patients\yourname
I don't know why they didn't use the current user's documents. Oh well, Bill Gates doesn't call me anymore.
One after thought. If you are still in the compliance phase, it might be best to leave things alone til you have met those conditions.

RE: SD cards and data safety - cbramsey - 11-22-2013

It is in a similar location if you use Windows 7 as well.

I have gotten into the habit of write-protecting my SD card anytime I remove it from my S9 Autoset.

RE: SD cards and data safety - DeepBreathing - 11-22-2013

(11-22-2013, 09:56 AM)drgrimes Wrote: NOTE: where Rescan saves them is a bit of an odd place. On my Windows 8 (hate it) is in
c:\users\public\documents\resmed\rescan3\patients\yourname
I don't know why they didn't use the current user's documents. Oh well, Bill Gates doesn't call me anymore.

ResScan is designed for the clinical practice situation, not for home users. So there might be dozens of patients all using the same copy (or rather their clinicians are). Under those circumstances, the location makes sense. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be a very robust system, easily damaged or corrupted. Let's hope they keep good backups. Or as the OP said, we should keep our own good backups.

RE: SD cards and data safety - drgrimes - 11-22-2013

DeepBreathing I don't think any clinician, sleep doctor, or DME would want to store data under the public directory. Anything stored in that, is open access on the network. I would think they would want to open and store any patient information in specific and secure directories. Other users on the network don't have to have permission to view folders in the "public" directories. On our home networks, it probably isn't critical. Only your kids will know what your AHI is....only kidding. Don't think they would care.

Strange but my sleep doctor has never asked to see my data or even discuss it since compliance was achieved. Sad. Wouldn't you think the data would be good feedback for them?

RE: SD cards and data safety - PaulaO2 - 11-22-2013

When ResScan asks you to Overwrite or Discard, choose Discard. It doesn't throw the data away, it just doesn't pay any attention to it.

All that means is let's say you downloaded 11/21 and you sit down to download 11/22. ResScan says "there's data for 11/21. Do you want to overwrite or discard?" You discard and all is well. Since it is just a day old, overwrite would have been fine. But if the data is more than 7 days old, overwrite would have removed some of the previous data. And more than 30 days and it would have removed almost all of it.

RE: SD cards and data safety - DeepBreathing - 11-22-2013

(11-22-2013, 08:27 PM)drgrimes Wrote: DeepBreathing I don't think any clinician, sleep doctor, or DME would want to store data under the public directory. Anything stored in that, is open access on the network. I would think they would want to open and store any patient information in specific and secure directories. Other users on the network don't have to have permission to view folders in the "public" directories. On our home networks, it probably isn't critical. Only your kids will know what your AHI is....only kidding. Don't think they would care.

Strange but my sleep doctor has never asked to see my data or even discuss it since compliance was achieved. Sad. Wouldn't you think the data would be good feedback for them?

You make a good point - which raises the question of why ResScan puts the data in the public directory by default.

The first thing my sleep therapist does is ask for the card and my SleepyHead printouts. She goes through them with a fine tooth comb and looks carefully at both the graphs and statistics. Then discusses how things are going and if we need to make any changes. Maybe it's the different delivery system here in Australia, or maybe I'm just lucky.

RE: SD cards and data safety - drgrimes - 11-22-2013

DeepBreathing, I am envious. It would be nice if my sleep doctor was interested in my data. Seems to me it's the only way to really know if we are being helped by our machines. Makes me wonder if it's the doctor or our system. We certainly know that the health care system in the USA has no problems.....right? Sure right! Well i will say again, thank God for this forum. I have learned more here than from my sleep doctor. By the way, high on my bucket list is to travel to your country some day.

RE: SD cards and data safety - Donna - 11-23-2013

I'm not very computer literate. When I put my SD card in my computer to download into SleeyHead, I get a message that says there is a problem with my card. Options are to scan and fix or skip scan. Rather frightening since I don't know what that means! If I choose scan and fix, will all my data be deleted? To this point I have chosen skip. I always lock my card before downloading and unlock prior to reinserting in my CPAP machine. I use a Respronics machine. When I first downloaded to SleepyHead, I noticed that my first several months of data is missing.

RE: SD cards and data safety - drgrimes - 11-23-2013

Donna i'm not the expert here. I'm sure there are others that know more. I tried Sleepyhead and got some goofy errors, so i switched to Rescan, but that may not help you. Are you past the compliance phase with your insurance and/or Medicare? I am assuming your cpap machine still accepts the card without errors? I think you are right in not letting your computer format or fix the card. That could render it useless in your cpap machine. This is the reason i convert all my data into reports and save them on my computer. That way if my SD card dies i still have all my data.

I just noticed something i did not realize. I opened Rescan without a card in my computer and it still shows the data, so it must be saved also on the computer automatically. Can you open Sleepyhead and do the same?

RE: SD cards and data safety - drgrimes - 11-23-2013

I still have Sleepyhead installed, so i opened it without any SD card and the data for the couple of days i used it is still there. Seems that your Sleepyhead data is stored in your documents folder in a sub folder called SleepyHeadData. I suppose one could copy that folder to the desktop to have a backup of your data. Be careful and not drag and drop it. That will move it entirely from it's home location.