Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! (/Thread-Wow-it-sure-helps-to-be-Proactive)

Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! - djjwilly - 11-26-2013

Hi all; As some of you know, I've been waiting for two weeks for an APAP machine to be delivered. I decided that was long enough after reading alot of supportive posts from you all and decided to take the bull by the horns and call the doctor's office. Calling the DME got me nowhere, just a promise to bring one "some time." Well, not one hour after I left a message on my doc's answering machine, the DME calls and suddenly we have a machine we will deliver tomorrow. I don't consider that a coincidence. I hate to be a pain in the rear, but I'm not going to sit here and wait, wait, wait. Thanks my friends for pushing me to call. I would have waited longer without your help. Love, DJ

RE: Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! - mdh235 - 11-26-2013

Congratulations on getting results from the DME. Unfortunately, being a pain in the rear comes with the territory of being a hosehead.

Now, if your DME is anything like mine, your next problem is going to be getting replacement cushions for your mask(s), because I see you have two different ones listed.

I started with one, and all was fine. Then I switched to a different mask, still through the DME, and now their system seems to have gone into an infinite loop trying to decide which mask I'm using. This has resulted in no cushions being sent at all.

Repeated calls haven't worked, so I'll follow your example and drive up to their local office and try to get it straightened out there.

RE: Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! - trish6hundred - 11-26-2013

Hi djjwilly,
CONGRATULATIONs on getting the results you need, that's GREAT to hear.
Good luck with your new machine.

RE: Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! - cbramsey - 11-26-2013

Sometimes being the squeaky wheel does pay off!!! Congrats on your new machine.

RE: Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! - bwexler - 11-26-2013

There is no reason to wait two weeks to begin squeaking. If you are just starting out have your doctor hand you the prescription indicating exactly the brand and model machine you want, humidifier, heated hose, the mask and filters. Then have him write "fill exactly as written, these items are medically necessary".
Then have him fax a copy to the DME and the insurance company and in some cases the medical group if they must also approve.
Then find out who is the first that needs to approve. Call them the next day to verify the heve received the prescription and ask them to expedite the approval process. Call daily (minimum) for progress check. Continue through the chain of command until you get what you want.

It took me two weeks from sleep doctor appointment to sleep study and new ASV machine in my hands, while others on this forum were still waiting for results of their sleep study which was done before my doctor appointment. It pays to be assertive. If we all speak up we may cause the DMEs to improve their standard non response time a bit.

RE: Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! - djjwilly - 11-28-2013

I hope everyone is having a nice Thanksgiving day. We had a very small dinner today with our son. We usually have a big family spread but since no one volunteered to help cook or bake at all, I decided to simplify my life and just do it for us. I used the APAP machine last night and slept an hour and a half longer than I usually do. I imagine it will take time to see any results. I wonder why it seems so similar to the CPAP. I need to read up on what the differences are. Thanks for the responses, my friends. I do appreciate all of you so much. Love, DJ

RE: Wow, it sure helps to be Proactive!! - eviltim - 11-29-2013

I had the same thing. Made an appt to pick up my machine actually, then they called and said they didn't have any in stock. Second time I called back about when they were getting stock in, they said they had one and had me come in the next day.