Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Getting Acquainted - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Getting Acquainted (/Thread-Getting-Acquainted)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Getting Acquainted - ImaSurvivor - 11-26-2013

I am a newbie and diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea a month ago (AHI 16). I will be undergoing a titration study tonight to determine what prescription and machine I will receive. I have been reading this board for a month and learned a lot. Thank You to everyone providing information, advice and encouragement.

I first became aware that I snored when a college roommate mentioned it. Since being married (28 years ago) I have gotten the occasional poke in the side from my spouse to roll over but nothing severe. In recent years, I have many of the symptoms I know now to be associated with apnea that I have been associating with other medical issues and medication I am currently taking.

I feel encouraged to think that apnea may be the culprit for some of my symptoms and I can get on the road to solving some issues and getting my life back. I am apprehensive at having to be hooked to a machine for the rest of my life although I do understand how important it is to treat the apnea. I am praying I will adapt to it easily and quickly. I have definitely learned from this forum what questions to ask and to become proactive and knowledgeable. I know the DME I have selected only deals with ResMed machines. I intend to make it known I would like an auto machine and full data capability.

I am a two time cancer survivor 14 years ago and 4 years ago. Both different and unrelated cancers. The most recent cancer being breast cancer. In the past four years I have gained 60 pounds. Although I exercise regularly and watch what I eat, I can't seem to remove the extra weight. I am still being treated with a post cancer drug for at least another year. I have read it causes fatigue and weight gain and many women report significant weight gain and no matter how hard they try, they are unable to lose it. The usual time on the medication is five years after cancer. Because I switched medicines part way through the drug treatment to avoid possible severe side affects on the drug for another with less severe side affects, my oncologist wants to extend my time on it for two more years. Much to my dismay. I have been figuring the fatigue is due to the medicine and the extra weight I've been carrying around. The oncologist just tells me to exercise more and eat less. I am really doing all I can with that and working full time as well.

It has been so frustrating to me to make the effort in the gym, watch what I eat and still see no results. The weight keeps creeping up and making no sense to me. In the meantime, snoring has become a real problem in the last few years to those around me especially when we travel and stay in hotels. There is nowhere for my family to escape to another room. They get frustrated and I have come to dread those vacation nights and trying to keep myself awake so they can sleep.

I am glad to have this forum for support. Not sure my family understands being in the my shoes. They definitely want a quieter sleeping atmosphere. So here I am.

RE: Getting Acquainted - PaulaO2 - 11-26-2013

And here we are.

With all your other health issues, you will definitely want a data capable machine. And probably one that is an autoPAP so it can adjust throughout the night.

Have you seen Archangle's choice article?
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Archangle:Machine_Choices

And welcome to ApneaBoard!

RE: Getting Acquainted - ImaSurvivor - 11-26-2013

Thanks PaulaO2, I have reviewed the choices and from what I have read on this forum for a month, am convinced an auto machine and definitely data capable. I mentioned it in passing during a phone conversation with the sleep lab a couple weeks ago while discussing what DME I might like to work with. My job is technical in nature with computers and as long as I need to do this, I am sure it will be natural to me to want to download the software and follow my progress as well. I may have a machine as early as tomorrow. Weather permitting. I live in the Northeast and we are expecting a snow storm. I have a short trip to a neighboring town for the sleep study and the DME is in another neighboring town. The sleep lab had already begun the process of sending my insurance information to the DME so they would be ready to roll. After reading this forum I found that the machines are not always issued promptly. With the holidays fast approaching and I will be leaving on vacation shortly after Christmas, I had called and asked how quick the turn around was after titration before I could expect getting a machine. I was originally scheduled for titration for next week. I explained my travel plans after Christmas and wanted to make sure I had a machine and time to become accustomed to it beforehand. They rescheduled me a week earlier (tonight) and said they would send my insurance information to DME so it will ready to go.

RE: Getting Acquainted - PaulaO2 - 11-26-2013

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

The machine is but one part of the thing. The mask is the other and probably the most important. Don't settle. Try out several during the titration study. Unless you sleep with your mouth open, don't get a full face mask.

RE: Getting Acquainted - trish6hundred - 11-26-2013

Hi ImaSurvivor,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You have a GREAT attitude and that goes a long way toward your CPAP therapy.
Good luck with your titration and I hope you can get your machine and mask very soon so you can get started.
Please keep us posted.

I think my biggest worry is a go around trying to find a suitable mask. I agree, I don't want a full face mask. I don't sleep with my mouth open so I am hoping to stay away from that. And I am hoping I am not put off from being able to get an auto machine and data capable. In my brief conversation with the sleep study coordinator (I know her personally), she said the doctor needs to determine what you will have. I told her I had been reading up and it seemed that I did have a say in what I get and also that I wanted full data capable machine. I told her I was a techy and in my wheelhouse. She said they are hard to read and I said I can learn. She finally said that sometimes the doctors will prescribe the auto machines in case it is decided down the road it might be needed. And she said they are all data capable. She said the DME I have chosen only deals with ResMed machines.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I am cancer free twice and this too shall pass.

Thanks Trish6hundred. I will keep you posted.

RE: Getting Acquainted - PsychoMike - 11-26-2013

Survivor, even though Paula says "don't get a full face mask"...I'd recommend going in with an open mind and seeing what works and is comfortable for you.

I'm blessed to be one of the folks who can use any of the "standard" masks: nasal pillows, nasal masks or a full face mask (ffm). I personally found I still move a bit during my sleep and was having issues with pillows staying put....but that's a different issue...my therapy numbers were good, even if the occasional leaks woke me up.

Right now, I have a nasal mask and a ffm that was originally to be just for when I got plugged up...but the newer full face masks are (IMO) a lot more comfortable than previous models and I've found myself using the ffm more and more as my main mask. Sure, the nasal mask is lighter and I go through less water with it, but for me, my comfort and therapy seem to be equally well served by my current choice in ffm and if I'm using it regularly, I don't have to go digging for it when I get a cold.

Just a thought, but as with all things, YMMV.

RE: Getting Acquainted - RockABye - 11-26-2013

Hello, Survivor. We seem to have a lot in common! Smile I'm also a cancer survivor and am in the Information Technology field. I think that as cancer survivors, we learned how important it was to be our own advocate during our battle, so we're not willing to settle for what someone (whether DME, respiratory therapist, or doctor) tells us is "good enough". lol I had my titration study last Friday and I'm still waiting for the Doctor's office to call about the prescription. Like you, I'm worried that the holiday will delay everything, but I have to remind myself that I've most likely had this condition for years, so one more week won't kill me (probably). lol Good luck to both of us!

RE: Getting Acquainted - ImaSurvivor - 11-27-2013

I find everyone on this forum so friendly, good fun, and humorous under difficult circumstances ... very refreshing! I am busily preparing for Thanksgiving feast I am hosting for my parents, in-laws and family tomorrow ... and my daughter is home from college too. Ahh I have missed her! I will be sure to update with all details after this busy weekend. Quickly... I did get my Auto ResMed S9 this morning! Walked out of the sleep study with it in my hands. Smile And hopefully a mask I can tolerate. Will update my profile with equipment and details whe things settle down. Thanks everyone and Happy Thanksgiving for all those celebrating the day.