Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration (/Thread-Meet-with-sleep-study-center-employee-to-look-at-masks-for-my-sleep-titration)

Pages: 1 2

Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - me50 - 11-26-2013

Well, today I was shown 10 masks and tried some of them hooked to a machine to see how they worked.

The ones I tried:

Respironics Comfort Fushion nasal mask. I tried this one first and felt it leaked at the bottom so I ended up rejecting that one.

Respironics Wisp nasal mask. I love this one as the short time I had it on it did not leak and the head gear is silicone which I like because it is sturdier and it is easy to take off with the clips but I just slipped it over my head.

Fisher & Paykel Zest nasal mask. This one, when I tried it hooked to the machine, I felt air blowing inside the mask on my nose. Not sure why but I have enough issues waking up all night long and didn’t want the added issue of waking up because I felt air on my nose.

The ones I rejected from the start:

Amara Gel FFM
Resmed Quattro FX
Resmed Mirage FX for Her
Resmed Swift FX Nano Nasal

The other masks that he brought but I did not try because I decided to try the Wisp:

Respironics Easy Life Nasal Mask
Fisher & Paykel Pilario Nasal Pillows
Respironics Nuance Pro Gel Pillow Mask

He gave me the wisp to take home and use and I will bring it to use for my sleep titration next week and I get to keep it. Have too much to do to try it right now but can't wait to see how it does during the night. Hopefully, I won't open my mouth but if I do, I will call and ask for the chin strap he showed me (he showed me 2 types and one of them looked along the same lines as using an ace bandage).

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - trish6hundred - 11-26-2013

Hi me50,
Good luck with the new mask, I look forward to hearing how well you do with it.
Edit: I use the one with the silicon frame and like it very much.

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - me50 - 11-26-2013

(11-26-2013, 08:15 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi me50,
Good luck with the new mask, I look forward to hearing how well you do with it.

Thanks.

Me too! I was told today that when getting sleep studies, they should try nasal masks first and that ffm are as a last resort. There wasn't anything I didn't like about it during the short time I was hooked up to a machine with it on. The first 2, it was hard for me to talk and tell the tech that I wanted to turn the machine off and try another mask lol

The plus to a ffm is that you can talk with it on and many times, I got phone calls when I was taking a nap and was able to talk with the mask on.

I will let you all know how it goes tonight!

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - trish6hundred - 11-26-2013

At the sleep lab where I went, they started me on a nasal mask, (The respironics Comfort Jell,) (the original one,) so I'd have an easier time getting adjusted and I'm glad they did that because I have trouble with too much on my face.

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - Lukie - 11-27-2013

(11-26-2013, 07:51 PM)me50 Wrote: Well, today I was shown 10 masks and tried some of them hooked to a machine to see how they worked.

The ones I tried:

Respironics Comfort Fushion nasal mask. I tried this one first and felt it leaked at the bottom so I ended up rejecting that one.

Respironics Wisp nasal mask. I love this one as the short time I had it on it did not leak and the head gear is silicone which I like because it is sturdier and it is easy to take off with the clips but I just slipped it over my head.

Fisher & Paykel Zest nasal mask. This one, when I tried it hooked to the machine, I felt air blowing inside the mask on my nose. Not sure why but I have enough issues waking up all night long and didn’t want the added issue of waking up because I felt air on my nose.

The ones I rejected from the start:

Amara Gel FFM
Resmed Quattro FX
Resmed Mirage FX for Her
Resmed Swift FX Nano Nasal

The other masks that he brought but I did not try because I decided to try the Wisp:

Respironics Easy Life Nasal Mask
Fisher & Paykel Pilario Nasal Pillows
Respironics Nuance Pro Gel Pillow Mask

He gave me the wisp to take home and use and I will bring it to use for my sleep titration next week and I get to keep it. Have too much to do to try it right now but can't wait to see how it does during the night. Hopefully, I won't open my mouth but if I do, I will call and ask for the chin strap he showed me (he showed me 2 types and one of them looked along the same lines as using an ace bandage).
Good luck to you if you are a mouth breather. The chin strap did not keep me from dropping my jaw.

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - me50 - 11-27-2013

I like this mask. I slept 3.5 hours and then woke up with a very dry mouth so obviously I do open my mouth when sleeping but I didn't do that until after I had been asleep for an hour or so. Then the leaks started but they didn't wake me up. The dry mouth did. I have a call in to see if I can get a chin strap from the sleep lab since the DME doesn't have any. If not, I will improvise

I never went back to sleep though b/c I had to finish getting ready for a repair person to come and after all of that, he was sick and isn't coming. Now I am very tired and have a dr. appt. at 11. Ain't that the way!!

The good thing is, I had NO AHIs!

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - me50 - 11-30-2013

I have been using the wisp since last Tuesday. For the most part, my AHI has been 0 every time I sleep.

I have read that it is unusual to have 0 AHI's nightly so I wanted to check in with the members here to see if anyone else has 0 AHI's most of the time.

Thanks.

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - Peter_C - 12-08-2013

I've been bouncing between the Wisp and the Swift LT (nose pillows). I just bought a tried a 'chin strap', but have found that it pulls my lower jaw back and increases my overbite. Very uncomfortable.

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - me50 - 12-08-2013

(12-08-2013, 04:28 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I've been bouncing between the Wisp and the Swift LT (nose pillows). I just bought a tried a 'chin strap', but have found that it pulls my lower jaw back and increases my overbite. Very uncomfortable.

what kind of chin strap did you try? I love the wisp and my chin strap even though my nose looks like a pig's nose lol

RE: Meet with sleep study center employee to look at masks for my sleep titration - Peter_C - 12-08-2013

Supplier #1 sells a 'Ruby' chinstrap - first one I've tried in bout ten years.