Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? (/Thread-Should-I-be-alarmed-that-oxygen-drops-very-low-while-sleeping)

Pages: 1 2 3

Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - Emilo - 11-28-2013

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and would really love some help. I've been using a CPAP for over a year and still have a terrible time with it (waking up constantly from a FF mask moving, waking up with my nose stuffy and not breathing well while wearing the nasal mask). I am housebound and lost my job due to sudden ill health and would do anything to feel better. Every morning I feel as if I smoked a pack of cigarettes (tight chest, sore throat, headache) and got beat up by big men with baseball bats. My brain doesn't work like it used to.

I bought an Oximeter (CMS50D+) and wore it for the first time last night. I had three episodes where my oxygen plummeted (60s and 50s - 57% was the lowest) and my heart rate jumped up (the highest was 120 from a norm of 55bpm). These episodes lasted minutes, not seconds. Two of them happened while wearing my mask and the last one happened after I had taken it off and gone back to sleep.

My husband was really alarmed by the 57% oxygen drop after he read 55% is unconsciousness. Has anyone else had this happen? Are three big drops in oxygen not that many compared to other people? Could this be contributing to why I feel so horrific? Should I go see my sleep doctor? I've only seen him twice and he never seems to think anything is a big deal.

Thank you so much for your help!! (And happy Thanksgiving to you American users Smile)

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - me50 - 11-28-2013

(11-28-2013, 03:33 PM)Emilo Wrote: Hi everyone,

I'm new here and would really love some help. I've been using a CPAP for over a year and still have a terrible time with it (waking up constantly from a FF mask moving, waking up with my nose stuffy and not breathing well while wearing the nasal mask). I am housebound and lost my job due to sudden ill health and would do anything to feel better. Every morning I feel as if I smoked a pack of cigarettes (tight chest, sore throat, headache) and got beat up by big men with baseball bats. My brain doesn't work like it used to.

I bought an Oximeter (CMS50D+) and wore it for the first time last night. I had three episodes where my oxygen plummeted (60s and 50s - 57% was the lowest) and my heart rate jumped up (the highest was 120 from a norm of 55bpm). These episodes lasted minutes, not seconds. Two of them happened while wearing my mask and the last one happened after I had taken it off and gone back to sleep.

My husband was really alarmed by the 57% oxygen drop after he read 55% is unconsciousness. Has anyone else had this happen? Are three big drops in oxygen not that many compared to other people? Could this be contributing to why I feel so horrific? Should I go see my sleep doctor? I've only seen him twice and he never seems to think anything is a big deal.

Thank you so much for your help!! (And happy Thanksgiving to you American users Smile)

If it is really dropping that low and not an error or problem with the oximeter, it is a cause for concern and I would see a pulmonologist, not a sleep doctor.

I would suggest that you download sleepy head software and look and see if you see something to cause concern. I don't know exactly what kind of machine you have but sleepy head is compatible with system one for sure.

I am sure others will have more suggestions, ideas for you.

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - trish6hundred - 11-28-2013

Hi Emilo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might consider seeing a Dr. to get that checked out. Hhang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - DocWils - 11-28-2013

It would help if you published the charts here, as it would be easier to see what is going on - your description does not give enough information to tell if you are seeing noise or something real, but from all your descriptions of your troubles with your mask, et al, my first thought is to say you need to have a look at what is happening with your mask and CPAP, together with professional guidance, and address the sO2sats in relation to that. Nonetheless, post your current charts here, so if it IS noise, it can be eliminated from the other concerns.

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - zonk - 11-28-2013

Was the O2 drop while using nasal mask or full face mask? Full face mask allows you to breathe through nose or mouth so if nose get stuffy, you can still breathe breathe through the mouth and get some treatment

If you find nasal mask is more comfortable, add a chinstrap, chinstrap helps minimize mouth leaks but leaks in general whether mouth or mask leak reduces the effectiveness of the therapy. Washing the mask every day to remove facial oil and washing face before bed improve mask seal

Whats AHI breakdown (obstructive, clear airway evnts), leak shown on SleepyHead

If most of apnea events are central, pressure increase would not helps but might helps in case of obstructive events.

Your machine is PRS1 Auto and set on fixed mode at 7, at this setting the machine deliver 7 all night long (except Ramp time). On the other hand if set on auto mode with a range (minimum and maximum), the machine adjust pressure (between setting range) breath by breath as needed during the night

Nasal stuffiness can be related to humidity setting, turn down if on the higher end or turn up if on lower end and toss a coin if in the middle

At times, I wake up with a stuffy nose in the early hours of the morning, usually get up and prepare Saline sinus rinse (squeezey bottle) and drink cup of tea while browsing the forum for a while and go back to bed as soon as my nose cleared up somewhat

Thanksgiving to you all from non-American but feel like one, after been hanging around here for 3 years and counting Coffee

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - Airstream - 11-28-2013

Today, Zonk, I hereby make you an honorary American. Smile

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - mdh235 - 11-28-2013

(11-28-2013, 03:33 PM)Emilo Wrote: Hi everyone,

I second the idea of seeing a pulmonologist. Your first appointment will probably be a lung function test. You may also be referred for a chest X-ray, an echo cardiogram, then a home O2 test with a pro-grade oximiter from the DME.

After all that, your pulmonologist will discuss your results and options with you. It could just be that the CMS5D is giving you bad readings. Both of the consumer grade O2 recorders I've tired did that with me, with large swings in BP and O2 similar to yours, but the pro grade one from the DME showed things were ok.

Since you're feeling badly you do need to start off by seeing a doc. It may not be as bad as you think.

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - zonk - 11-28-2013

(11-28-2013, 06:33 PM)Airstream Wrote: Today, Zonk, I hereby make you an honorary American. Smile
Thanks. Great honor bestowed on me
[Image: 220px-ChurchillsUSPassport.png]

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - Airstream - 11-28-2013

I 3rd the vote for seeing a pulmonologist.
Speaking from first hand experience, I was having a similar problem in 2010. Before my sleep testing could be scheduled, my pulmonologist had me on an oxygen monitor for one night. When he got the results, he immediately had the DME deliver an oxygen machine that day. I didn't even know until the DME called and said they were on the way to my house.
I don't know how low my levels were running, but he was very concerned. It is my understanding that not correcting this condition you puts your heart and other organs under extreme stress, even if the episode is brief. After the sleep study I was on a BiPap for a short while, then a CPAP at very high pressure.
It is a challenge for most people, like it was for me, to adapt to this new way of sleeping, but now. I can't imagine not having this therapy.
Please go see a pulmomogist and have your situation addressed. Good luck and let is know how you make out.

RE: Should I be alarmed that oxygen drops very low while sleeping? - me50 - 11-28-2013

(11-28-2013, 06:33 PM)Airstream Wrote: Today, Zonk, I hereby make you an honorary American. Smile

I agree. You can keep the honorary American the rest of this year too!! lol