Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Ace bandage for chin strap - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Ace bandage for chin strap (/Thread-Ace-bandage-for-chin-strap)

Ace bandage for chin strap - me50 - 11-28-2013

Those of you that have used an Ace bandage as a chin strap, just curious how you secured it to your head and also how wide of an ace bandage did you use?

I am glad I had ace bandages here because when I tried to find the cloth ace bandages, I couldn't find them anywhere. The person I met with to try on masks before my sleep study next week told me that there are ace bandages that Velcro but I never found any except online.

RE: Ace bandage for chin strap - JJJ - 11-28-2013

(11-28-2013, 09:38 PM)me50 Wrote: Those of you that have used an Ace bandage as a chin strap, just curious how you secured it to your head and also how wide of an ace bandage did you use?

There is a lot of information in a thread I started here:

[url] http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Chin-straps-sigh[/url]

I tried an Ace bandage, but found that the material was far too wimpy. I had to wrap it around about three times to get it sturdy enough. And I found that three inches was about right. However, the problem, as with the chins strap that I bought from my local DME, was that the chin strap would slide off my head (forward) during the night. I needed straps in the back to stop this.

Eventually I called upon a friend who is a genius with a sewing machine, and also a hosehead, so she understood the problem. I now have a custom chin strap.

RE: Ace bandage for chin strap - me50 - 11-29-2013

jjj

how did you secure it to your head?

FYI: I was told to put the chin strap on first and then my mask. Wonder if that would have helped keep your other chin straps on. Anyway, you got your issue solved! If you can, take a photo of it and post it. I have seen some with the back strap online when I was searching for one.

RE: Ace bandage for chin strap - JJJ - 11-29-2013

(11-29-2013, 03:35 AM)me50 Wrote: how did you secure it to your head?
FYI: I was told to put the chin strap on first and then my mask. Wonder if that would have helped keep your other chin straps on. Anyway, you got your issue solved! If you can, take a photo of it and post it. I have seen some with the back strap online when I was searching for one.

I am an extremely active sleeper, so I have a serious problem with leaks regardless of what mask I used. I have never figured out if I am actually a mouth breather or not, but I can keep the leaks under control by putting the chin strap on top of the mask. Normal people, however, put the chin strap on first.

My custom mask is made from some elastic band material that my friend had in her scrap pile. It is three inches wide and far stronger than an ace bandage. We experimented first with safety pins until we had the length correct, then she cut the band and sewed it together. She also came up with some elastic about 3/4 of an inch wide that we used for two straps on the back. The straps cross like an X, with the top points about two inches on either side of the center, which is the point where she sewed the three inch band together. The bottom of each back strap connects to the band on each opposite side just below the ear. And finally, with the chin strap on and the back straps properly positioned, she sewed a button on the point where the back straps cross. This fastens the back straps at their crossover point, yet I can cut the button off and resew it back on myself if I need to adjust the length of the back straps in the future. I put the chin strap on by holding it by the button and the top point of the band with one hand, while holding the bottom under my chin with the other hand, while pulling the band up and the back straps toward the back.

My first chin strap was one that I bought from my local DME. It was also a three inch elastic band, very similar to my custom strap, except that it had just one narrow back strap that went from side to side just above the ears. I would often wake up in the middle of the night and discover that the whole chin strap had slid off forward because the back strap would slide up. My custom chin strap with the X configuration for the back straps prevents this. Also, the one from the DME uses velcro, which would often come loose during the night. Having the connection points sewed together is much better. I have come to hate velcro. I even sewed the velcro connections on my Wisp mask to keep them from coming apart during the night.

I'm sure I look like a freak with the Wisp in place and chin strap on top, but at least I never see leaks more than 15L or so. I can't figure out how to take a picture of me wearing it, but I can tell you that it looks similar to the Respironics Premium or the Respironics Original Deluxe chin strap (google our supplier list for pictures), except that mine has the two back straps in the X configuration instead of one back strap from side to side.

I should add that my friend explained that there are different types of elastic band material. Some are vinyl, others are spandex, and there are other types as well. Furthermore, the direction and percentage of the stretch is important. You want it to stretch in one direction only and a percentage just high enough to be able to slip it on. And the material that Ace bandages are made out of is the wrong type because it stretches in two directions and is about 2-300%. Ace bandages also lose their elasticity very quickly. You'd be better off to visit a fabric store where they have staff who understand this stuff.

ace bandage is a temporary fix until I can get a real chin strap but because of Thanksgiving, I couldn't get it until today or next week.

The plus side is, the leaks don't wake me up like they did with the ffm. I like the wisp and I like the headgear better than resmed's headgear.

[attachment=575]

RE: Ace bandage for chin strap - JJJ - 11-29-2013

The picture posted above looks like a Ruby. I bought one before getting my custom chin strap because it was so popular. The pieces along the side poked into my cheeks and it was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had on my head. I tried to use it but had to take it off in the middle of the first night. It sits gathering dust on a shelf in my closet where I keep all my other gear failures. Yet if you look at the reviews on suppliers' web sites it appears to be the most popular chin strap of all.

The sleep lab showed me one that has an actual chin cup. I don't know what it is made of but I really would like to try it. I am not going to use a chin strap any more as it doesn't control me opening my mouth (I presume that is what is happening) because I have a lot of leaks but they don't wake me up.

I tried the next size down of the wisp and the leaks were really high for 1.5 hours of a nap so I decided to not try it again. I also decided to hang my hose on a hook to see what happens.

None of the leaks are waking me up like the leaks I got with the FFM. I just wonder if the leaks prevent me from getting the proper help I need if I have any AHI's.

The AHI's have been very low since I started using the wisp.

Anyway, glad that you found a solution to your chin strap issue and that it works!

RE: Ace bandage for chin strap - archangle - 12-03-2013

I use 3 inch non-adhesive Ace brand bandages. Wrapped 3 to 4 times around the head. It takes a while to figure out how to make it stay on just from pressure, although putting the headgear on over the strap helps.

I secure the ends of the bandage with large safety pins through all 3 or 4 layers of bandage.

As they stretch, I often have to increase the number of times it's looped around. I start with 3 loops, then 3 1/2, etc. I get a couple of months usage before they're too stretched out to use. They're usually sort of nasty by then anyway.

I find the straps at my local grocery store or Walgreen's.

I tried some no-name brand bandage, and the cheap, nasty, rubber smell was so bad it made my eyes water.

RE: Ace bandage for chin strap - Lukie - 12-03-2013

(11-28-2013, 09:38 PM)me50 Wrote: Those of you that have used an Ace bandage as a chin strap, just curious how you secured it to your head and also how wide of an ace bandage did you use?

I am glad I had ace bandages here because when I tried to find the cloth ace bandages, I couldn't find them anywhere. The person I met with to try on masks before my sleep study next week told me that there are ace bandages that Velcro but I never found any except online.

Some people use a simple mouth guard used by sportsmen to prevent jaw
Drop.