Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems (/Thread-TMJ-or-Tempero-Mandibular-Joint-problems)

Pages: 1 2

TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - ThatOtherGuy - 12-03-2013

New to the forum and a new CPAP/APAP user here with a question. I tried a search to see if TMJ or variants came up and came up empty handed.

So the first question is, are there any other members out there in hose head land who also have a TMJ problem?

For those that are not aware of what a TMJ problem is, your TMJ is the joint each side of your head that holds your jaw on. It is quite a mobile joint given what you can do with your jaw and the muscles that control your TMJ extend all around your head. A person suffering from TMJ issues experiences quite debilitating pain.

Normally to cure a TMJ problem, which is usually something like teeth grinding at night, a sufferer wears a splint much like a mouth guard that is designed to control how your teeth mesh at night to prevent tension buildup in the muscles.

I have a splint which I have not needed for some time, however in my hospital CPAP test and my now subsequent first two nights of using my new CPAP/APAP machine I have noticed what I feel is my TMJ problem flaring.

So my second question to the community is have others found in the initial stages of use that they woke with tension headaches that disappeared soon after getting up and over time did the problem go away?

I have read the thread about mask fit so that is something I will be revisiting as that had some really good sensible ideas, it would be good to eliminate a potential problem like that. I will also be trying my splint tonight to see if that is also another solution and will advise of my findings.

Any assistance or other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - trish6hundred - 12-03-2013

Hi ThatOtherGuy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions.
Best of luck to you.

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - DocWils - 12-04-2013

Nasal masks and pillows can exacerbate TMJ in some patients, but there is lesser a problem with full face masks. The problem lies in the need for nasal mask users to hold their mouths closed against the pressure, and this can cause jaw displacements and grindings.

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - ThatOtherGuy - 12-04-2013

Thinking-about That's good to know, so its not my imagination.

I have just woken from my third night with the hose and still feeling the benefits, though the face mask is still not quite right yet. The one big plus is no tension in the head/cranial area this morning as I used my mouth splint. I guess that might be making a return to my night time routine.

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - PaulaO2 - 12-04-2013

I have jaw issues (among other things) and once took my mask to my PTist to have her see if the mask's placement was in any way interfering with anything. Other than having a good giggle at how goofy I looked (I gave her permission to giggle), she said she did not see a problem with the nasal pillows I was using. We went online together and looked at a bunch of the masks. Overall, at the ones at that time, she didn't think any of them would be an issue. Neither would the CPAP pressure.

I once tried the Liberty hybrid mask. I only wore it a short time but I could see how it may have caused me problems just because I could feel myself tensing my jaw and holding it oddly. It's the closest I have come to trying a full face mask.

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - TonyJ - 12-05-2013

(12-03-2013, 07:26 PM)ThatOtherGuy Wrote: New to the forum and a new CPAP/APAP user here with a question. I tried a search to see if TMJ or variants came up and came up empty handed.

So the first question is, are there any other members out there in hose head land who also have a TMJ problem?

For those that are not aware of what a TMJ problem is, your TMJ is the joint each side of your head that holds your jaw on. It is quite a mobile joint given what you can do with your jaw and the muscles that control your TMJ extend all around your head. A person suffering from TMJ issues experiences quite debilitating pain.

Normally to cure a TMJ problem, which is usually something like teeth grinding at night, a sufferer wears a splint much like a mouth guard that is designed to control how your teeth mesh at night to prevent tension buildup in the muscles.

I have a splint which I have not needed for some time, however in my hospital CPAP test and my now subsequent first two nights of using my new CPAP/APAP machine I have noticed what I feel is my TMJ problem flaring.

So my second question to the community is have others found in the initial stages of use that they woke with tension headaches that disappeared soon after getting up and over time did the problem go away?

I have read the thread about mask fit so that is something I will be revisiting as that had some really good sensible ideas, it would be good to eliminate a potential problem like that. I will also be trying my splint tonight to see if that is also another solution and will advise of my findings.

Any assistance or other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have TMJ as well and wear a splint at night in addition to my cpap mask. I have noticed no change as a result .

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - Shastzi - 12-05-2013

I have had many run-ins with TMJ over the years and I can tell you from my experience, it should happen to Hitler.
I run 15-20cm of pressure and getting the leaks to stop ment using enough strap tension to push my lower jaw
all the way back into the joint.
After 2-3 nights of that the pain sets in.
I have a fancy custom made bite plate to wear but it does not prevent the mis-alignments.
I ended up trying a Brain-Pad Pro Plus athletic mouth guard and that keeps things in closer alignment and
the pain stays away.
con: takes a while to get used to and you tend to drool all inside your FFM.
But I mop the mask out with the wipes every day so it works till something better comes along.

Sleep-well

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - ThatOtherGuy - 12-06-2013

LOL regarding the drooling, I have that problem too thanks to some plastic surgery to repair my face and make me purdy again Rolleyes after a melanoma was removed. The nerve damage means I cannot always sense things coming out of the corner of my mouth. Not a pretty sight sometimes. Bug-eyed

I think I may get my splint updated as the current one is quite old and I have had crowns and fillings since it was made. It hurts when first put in as it tries to move my teeth back to their old positions. :grin:

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - DeeNJai - 12-08-2013

I also have problems with my jaw, when I saw the dentist last week he said that the right side of the jaw was clicking and the left one is on its way. I am waiting for a mouth guard at the moment as he feels that I grind my teeth too my knowledge I dont but it might help. I am also a mouth breather so I wear a ffm, currently I am using Resmed FitLife and Quarrto Air. I change the masks around depending on if I can get comfortable with it. Some nights the Quarrto Air leaks too much so I will change to the other one. I have tried at least six other masks since April. I recently brought a heated hose because I was struggling with the air coming from the machine was too cold. The hose has helped a bit.

I know when I had been sleeping with my mouth slightly open my mouth is a dry as desert which is horrible.
Dee

RE: TMJ or Tempero Mandibular Joint problems - me50 - 12-08-2013

DEENJAI have you thought of trying a nasal mask or nasal pillows with a chin strap? I am a mouth breather and I have a good quality chin strap that most DME's don't carry (I got it from the sleep lab manager) and it is working very well! Just a suggestion. I never thought I could use a nasal mask because I am a mouth breather. The 2nd night, my nose was stopped up and I had trouble breathing with the nasal mask so I just used my nasal spray prescribed by my ENT and it worked!