Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
sleepy head vs ResScan - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: sleepy head vs ResScan (/Thread-sleepy-head-vs-ResScan)

sleepy head vs ResScan - me50 - 12-08-2013

I am attaching screen prints from ResScan and SleepyHead.

In ResScan it shows an unknown event that I don't recall seeing before and wondered if anyone else has seen this in their data.

Sleepyhead did not show it. The leaks are different in ResScan than they are in Sleepyhead (just an observation).

[attachment=591]

[attachment=593]

[attachment=592]

RE: sleepy head vs ResScan - robysue - 12-08-2013

Looks like the two "Unknown Apneas" are both scored in a super-short session that happens well before 22:00.

The SleepyHead data starts at 22:40ish. If I recall, the default settings in SH are set to ignore really short sessions---as in sessions that last less than something like 2-5 minutes. If you have not changed your SleepyHead preferences, that's my guess as to why the "Unknown Apneas" are not showing up in SH: SH is just ignoring that session since it's so short. And since the session is ignored, all the data from the session is suppressed in the SH report.

As to the meaning of an "Unknown Apnea" in ResScan: The FOT algorithm for distinguishing between OAs and CAs is not perfect, and sometimes the data from the FOT test is so ambiguous that the S9 simply does not want to "guess" whether the apnea was an OA or a CA. In that case, the apnea is scored as an "Unknown Apnea" in ResScan; it typically shows up as an "Apnea" in SH. While UAs are most likely to be scored when the Leak Rate is well above 24 L/min, they can be scored at much lower leak levels.

RE: sleepy head vs ResScan - DeepBreathing - 12-08-2013

Hi me50. An unknown apnea is just that - the machine wasn't able to determine if it was obstructive or central. Possibly a mix of both? I've seen a few from time to time, but not many. I notice the event occurs before 22:00 but the SH trace starts at 22:40 - if you zoom out, does it show up on SleepyHead? Also notice that there only seems to be a few minutes of mask time around the event, so it might even have been something while you were still awake.

In any event, it looks like your apnea is under control, with an AHI of zero. I know the AHI isn't the be-all and end-all, but it's a very good place to start.

RE: sleepy head vs ResScan - drgrimes - 12-08-2013

Me50, I've been playing back and forth between Rescan and Sleepyhead, but I can't tell you anything about the unknown event. The fact that it doesn't show up in Sleepyhead would suggest that whatever it is, it's insignificant. Others more expert than I may have a better explanation.

I think from time to time we will see some unexplainable oddities in our data....I sure do.

RE: sleepy head vs ResScan - me50 - 12-08-2013

Thanks everyone. I had an ah-ha moment. I wasn't asleep until after 11PM so when I saw the posts mentioning 22:00 I was confused. Then, I remembered that I had washed my mask, tank, hose, etc. and had turned on the machine later that night to finish drying out the hose and mask. That is where the unknown came in. The only difference is the leak rate between the 2 software programs.

3rd night in a row to have NO AHI's!

Thanks for all of your replies.

RE: sleepy head vs ResScan - PaulaO2 - 12-08-2013

Oh, 3 nights with 0.0 AHI?

Unplug the machine for a minute or two and plug it back in. Sometimes the S9 aliens like to play tricks.

I did unplug it every night that I woke up and saw the zero AHI. Now that I finished the end of the year medical tests that I had done last week and got the barium out of me, things will probably return to normal tonight!! lol Any way you look at it, my AHI's are below 1 when I do have them and I am happy with my new mask, chin strap and how it is working!

RE: sleepy head vs ResScan - zonk - 12-08-2013

An unknown apnea is an apnea during which a leak higher than 30 L/min occurs, precluding accurate determination of whether the apnea is obstructive or central http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documents/product/s9_escape_auto/data_management_guide/368272r3_s9-series_data-mgt-guide_amer_eng.pdf

Resscan stats shows maximum leak 144 L/m but leak graph shows no leak above the red line and no leak coincides with those unknown events

(12-08-2013, 02:36 PM)zonk Wrote: An unknown apnea is an apnea during which a leak higher than 30 L/min occurs, precluding accurate determination of whether the apnea is obstructive or central http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documents/product/s9_escape_auto/data_management_guide/368272r3_s9-series_data-mgt-guide_amer_eng.pdf

Resscan stats shows maximum leak 144 L/m but leak graph shows no leak above the red line and no leak coincides with those unknown events

the unknown event was because I was running the machine to make sure all the equipment that I washed Saturday was dry. Yea, the leaks reported in ResScan don't match the leaks reported in SleepyHead.