Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Climate Control Settings - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Climate Control Settings (/Thread-Climate-Control-Settings)

Pages: 1 2

Climate Control Settings - Apapuser - 01-10-2014

I have a 5Hi heated humidifier with climateline heated tube. Climate control on clinicians menu is set to patient. Patient menu is set to Auto. Temperature setting set to 82. I do not feel like I am getting enough humidity however and the water level has only gone down a fraction of an inch in two nights of use. Is this normal ? Are there better settings popularly used here ?

RE: Climate Control Settings - PaulaO2 - 01-10-2014

The machine uses ambient humidity as a guideline. If it detects the room is already humid, then it will use less.

You can change the setting to manual which allow you to set the humidity and temp manually. You should get more humidity to your nose that way.

Some nights I use no water at all. Some nights, I run out before I wake up. Depends on the temperature and humidity of the room. If it is raining and not as cold, I don't use as much.

RE: Climate Control Settings - bavinck - 01-10-2014

The manual setting I like best as it allows me to separately control humidity and temperature. If set to auto, the machine will only add as much humidity as it thinks it needs to get an absolute humidity level to your mask. Using the manual settings allows you to force a higher humidity setting for any given temperature. I have my temperature set at 27 degrees Celcius (7 above room temp) and my humidity at 5.5. In my dry, cold climate I am finding this is working just fine and does not produce rainout. I go through about 1/2 a tank of water a night (6-7 hrs).

RE: Climate Control Settings - Apapuser - 01-10-2014

Thanks Paula , Bavinck. I have set to Manual, Humidity 4, Temperature 82

(01-10-2014, 06:00 PM)Apapuser Wrote: Thanks Paula , Bavinck. I have set to Manual, Humidity 4, Temperature 82

Try for a night or two. I suggest if you need to make a change (too dry or.temp), change only one setting at a time. You start changing 2,variables at a time and it will get real hard to find a solution. A good idea might be to run in auto for a couple nights to find the temp setting you like, then switch to manual at the desired temp and begin to mess with the humidity options.

(01-10-2014, 02:19 PM)bavinck Wrote: The manual setting I like best as it allows me to separately control humidity and temperature. If set to auto, the machine will only add as much humidity as it thinks it needs to get an absolute humidity level to your mask. Using the manual settings allows you to force a higher humidity setting for any given temperature. I have my temperature set at 27 degrees Celcius (7 above room temp) and my humidity at 5.5. In my dry, cold climate I am finding this is working just fine and does not produce rainout. I go through about 1/2 a tank of water a night (6-7 hrs).

(01-10-2014, 06:10 PM)bavinck Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 06:00 PM)Apapuser Wrote: Thanks Paula , Bavinck. I have set to Manual, Humidity 4, Temperature 82

Try for a night or two. I suggest if you need to make a change (too dry or.temp), change only one setting at a time. You start changing 2,variables at a time and it will get real hard to find a solution. A good idea might be to run in auto for a couple nights to find the temp setting you like, then switch to manual at the desired temp and begin to mess with the humidity options.

Hi Bavinck

Perhaps I am confused. I had Auto & Temp 82. I changed to manual. Temperature 82, Humidity 4

I thought that a change of Humidity only

Apapuser

In auto mode you set the temp, and the machine works out the humidity to (I think) 80% absolute humidity regardless of your temp setting. Same humidity no matter which temp. In manual mode you set both the temp and humidity levels you want, the machine does not force a 80% humidity level. In the s9 clinicians manual they have charts that outline how the machine is handling temp/humidity combos in manual mode, you can get that manual here on this forum. Hope that helps.

(01-10-2014, 06:54 PM)bavinck Wrote: In auto mode you set the temp, and the machine works out the humidity to (I think) 80% absolute humidity regardless of your temp setting. Same humidity no matter which temp. In manual mode you set both the temp and humidity levels you want, the machine does not force a 80% humidity level. In the s9 clinicians manual they have charts that outline how the machine is handling temp/humidity combos in manual mode, you can get that manual here on this forum. Hope that helps.

My understanding is that the 80 % figure refers to the relative amount of humidity the air can hold at any given temperature. Higher temperatures are capable of holding more humidity in Mg/L. The higher you set the temperature the more humidity in Mg/L you get. Auto at any given temperature would be limited by the 80% figure. Manual would not but if you adjust the Humidity setting too high at a given temperature you can reach the 100 % humidity figure and produce rainout. The option then would be to either increase the temperature or lower the humidity.

Apapuser

(01-10-2014, 08:17 PM)Apapuser Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 06:54 PM)bavinck Wrote: In auto mode you set the temp, and the machine works out the humidity to (I think) 80% absolute humidity regardless of your temp setting. Same humidity no matter which temp. In manual mode you set both the temp and humidity levels you want, the machine does not force a 80% humidity level. In the s9 clinicians manual they have charts that outline how the machine is handling temp/humidity combos in manual mode, you can get that manual here on this forum. Hope that helps.

My understanding is that the 80 % figure refers to the relative amount of humidity the air can hold at any given temperature. Higher temperatures are capable of holding more humidity in Mg/L. The higher you set the temperature the more humidity in Mg/L you get. Auto at any given temperature would be limited by the 80% figure. Manual would not but if you adjust the Humidity setting too high at a given temperature you can reach the 100 % humidity figure and produce rainout. The option then would be to either increase the temperature or lower the humidity.

Apapuser

This is correct, I meant to have written 80% relative, not absolute, humidity. Thanks for the clarification.

RE: Climate Control Settings - Apapuser - 01-11-2014

Hey Bavinck

Had a good night last night.

0 central Apneas, 0 Obstructive Apneas, 0 Hypopneas, AHI 0

Leak Median 0, Leak 95% 0 , Leak Max 8.2

Ran with the Humidifier Manual, 82 degrees, 4.0

Upped Humidity to 4.5 as I still feel I can use a little more humidity

PS noticed more water use

My results have gotten much better after switching out the Swift FX DME gave me for my favorite Aloha on second night

Apapuser