Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Effects of change to Auto mode - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Effects of change to Auto mode (/Thread-Effects-of-change-to-Auto-mode)

Effects of change to Auto mode - PaytonA - 01-13-2014

My original prescription in 2010 was for 20 cmH2O and I was provided with a ResMed VPAP Auto 25 set up in Spontaneous mode at 20cm/16cm. I have been using this set up until yesterday. Now that I have learned from this website what most of the data means, I am questioning what I am doing. For one thing my leakage rate with my P&K nasal mask at the original set up is running between 1.4 and 1.7 L/s, which is not good, although my AHI was 1.7-2.7 with an AI of 0.1. I am waiting for a card reader so that I may look at the data in more detail.

The crux of my question is that yesterday I converted my machines operation to auto mode with a min. EPAP of 10cm and a max. IPAP of 20cm. I looked at my daily data this morning and I had reduced the leakage rate to 0.44 L/s. The reported pressure was 16.6cm but my AHI was 10.8 with an AI of 0.7.

My question is, are these event scores something that may get better as I get used to this mode of operation? One other question, I am used to starting up with a long ramp in the S mode so it starts very gently. When I started the settle period in the auto mode, I thought it was going to blow me away but I decided to go with it for a little while and it seemed to settle down and it did. Is this normal?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Effects of change to Auto mode - PaulaO2 - 01-13-2014

If the overall leak rate is high the entire night, or for long periods of the night, then the AHI is going to be skewed. Any events reported during a leak is invalid and during a leak, there could be events and it not know. Now that you have fixed the leaks, it can now give you the true AHI.

I *think* the AI of 0.7 includes both obstructive and central so the bulk of your 10.8 AHI is hypopneas.

It probably didn't settle down, rather you got used to it. I no longer use the ramp feature as I found it was more of a hindrance than a help.

RE: Effects of change to Auto mode - coyotemist - 01-13-2014

One way or another, it really sounds like you are being under-treated with a residual AHI of 10. Perhaps you need BiPap or something else.

RE: Effects of change to Auto mode - PaytonA - 01-13-2014

(01-13-2014, 02:51 PM)coyotemist Wrote: One way or another, it really sounds like you are being under-treated with a residual AHI of 10. Perhaps you need BiPap or something else.

Possibly so. The VPAP is ResMed's name for a BiPAP.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

RE: Effects of change to Auto mode - PaytonA - 01-13-2014

Paula02

Thanks for the feedback. Can I have any expectation that my results may improve if I continue using the auto mode for a while?

Thanks again,

PaytonA