Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
External vaporizers - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: External vaporizers (/Thread-External-vaporizers)

External vaporizers - bigsnowdog - 01-20-2014

Anyone running a separate vaporizer in the room to augment the humidifier? Does it help significantly?

RE: External vaporizers - PaulaO2 - 01-20-2014

Running a humidifier in the sleeping room will make the CPAP humidifier run even less. It uses the ambient room humidity to determine how much to send to you. However, the humid air in the room will be getting to you, just like the humid air in the summer does.

RE: External vaporizers - justMongo - 01-20-2014

Frankly, unless your living in some place like Beatty Nevada where humidity is in the single digits, it should not be necessary to augment the xPAP humidifier. It's capable of saturating the airflow's relative humidity.

RE: External vaporizers - bigsnowdog - 01-20-2014

My dry mouth disagrees.

Then you are mouth breathing or mouth leaking at night.

Are you viewing your data? Do you have leaks happening?

How long have you been using the CPAP? Sometimes new users experience a dry mouth even if they do not mouth breathe/leak. This typically goes away with time.

Ah, wait, I see you use a FFM. That changes things. What do you have the humidifier set to now? Are you seeing the water level go down during the night?

I would assume it would take a fairly large room humidifier to make a difference. I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Someone here got an external humidifier unit that attached to his CPAP machine. It has a bigger tub and allows him to really crank up the humidity.

Anyone remember who that is? Or what he got?

Google is my friend. The HC150 Heated Humidifier Kit might be what he got. The two places I just saw it online has it for about $146 USD.

RE: External vaporizers - goodonya - 01-20-2014

You are using the full face mask and this is happening? I am wondering if you are mouthbreathing all night. Like maybe the mask has enough pressure against your sinuses to block them off.
There is a variety of the full face masks to choose from. I found that the ideal was to have as good a seal as I could get with as small amount of tight. There is a lot of experimentation involved in getting the mask the way you want it. It is important to keep your nasal passages nice and open.

RE: External vaporizers - justMongo - 01-20-2014

I have dry mouth in the morning also; and I use nearly my entire water tank during a night's sleep.
It's nearly raining in the mask...
I confess to being a mouth breather.

Other conditions can cause dry mouth. Diabetes, medications, et cetera.

RE: External vaporizers - me50 - 01-21-2014

Since about 2005, we started using Biotene toothpaste and Biotene mouthwash. They have a lot of other products like Biotene spray. These are for dry mouth.