Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Choking episode not recorded - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Choking episode not recorded (/Thread-Choking-episode-not-recorded)

Choking episode not recorded - Lukie - 01-22-2014

For two nights in a row I have awakened from a dream coughing to the point I had to remove my mask and chin strap. I don't have a cough or cold. I did cough and I had some mucus in my throat.
Both times I had Mr. Green Smiley Face and and AHI of 0.0 at the point of awakening. My heart did not seem to be racing. So maybe it was either GERD or collected mucus but it was strong enough to wake me up. Maybe I'll do a salt water rinse with the Neti Pot tonight and see it I'm okay tonight.

RE: Choking episode not recorded - trish6hundred - 01-22-2014

Hi Lukie,
When I first saw the title of your post, I wondered if you had GERD.

RE: Choking episode not recorded - PaulaO2 - 01-22-2014

I know I've said it before, but two nights in a row with an AHI of 0.0 could be machine error. Unplug the machine for a few minutes then plug back in.

RE: Choking episode not recorded - Lukie - 01-23-2014

It was 0.0 after 5 hours. By 9 hours it was 0.2.

RE: Choking episode not recorded - Lukie - 01-23-2014

My apnea is only mild. Sleep Study AHI was 7.6. The reason I'm on CPAP is that when I do have apneas they are bad ones and I desaturate to less than 85% So my AHI is usually less than 0.5.

RE: Choking episode not recorded - PaulaO2 - 01-23-2014

You're doing great! Congrats!

As for the choking, no clue on that. One thing to do while you try to figure it out is raise the head of your bed. If it helps, then your doc will know it was more than likely GERD. Sometimes all it takes is a single 2x4 but usually more. You can put it under the feet of the headboard or under the mattress itself. We used 2 for several years. Now we just use one.

RE: Choking episode not recorded - archangle - 01-27-2014

Do unplug the machine for a few minutes to reset it. Many people have reported their S9 occasionally gets stuck on zero.

Even if you do choke and stop breathing, you may wake up and start breathing soon enough that you don't technically have an apnea. (10 seconds.)

If mucous builds up, you may get a choking reflex, even if you never actually stop breathing.

RE: Choking episode not recorded - Lukie - 01-27-2014

(01-27-2014, 01:20 AM)archangle Wrote: Do unplug the machine for a few minutes to reset it. Many people have reported their S9 occasionally gets stuck on zero.

Even if you do choke and stop breathing, you may wake up and start breathing soon enough that you don't technically have an apnea. (10 seconds.)

If mucous builds up, you may get a choking reflex, even if you never actually stop breathing.

I often get a 0.0 AHI when I wear my nasal mask and chinstrap. My AHI goes to 1 or 2 when I wear a full face mask. I have never gotten 0.0 two days in a row but I do get it regularly because I have mild apnea and a good mask fit.
The choking has gone away. I guess it was just a cough or gerd.

RE: Choking episode not recorded - Lukie - 01-27-2014

(01-27-2014, 05:59 PM)Lukie Wrote:
(01-27-2014, 01:20 AM)archangle Wrote: Do unplug the machine for a few minutes to reset it. Many people have reported their S9 occasionally gets stuck on zero.

I often get a 0.0 AHI when I wear my nasal mask and chinstrap. My AHI goes to 1 or 2 when I wear a full face mask. I rarely get 0.0 two days in a row but I do get it regularly because I have mild apnea and a good mask fit..
The choking has gone away. I guess it was just a cough or gerd.