Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Firmware Update for S9? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Firmware Update for S9? (/Thread-Firmware-Update-for-S9)

Firmware Update for S9? - OMyMyOHellYes - 02-02-2014

Is it possible to update the firmware on the S9?

If so, how? If how, where to get the firmware download?

Bad issues getting the unit to record and regurgitate data.

OMM

RE: Firmware Update for S9? - zonk - 02-02-2014

I doubt very much if we can update the firmware, it can be done at the factory but they are in the business of selling a new machine not doing update to old machines. But wont hurt to give resmed a call and tell them whats problem with the machine
btw whats the problem ... (have you tried unplugging)

RE: Firmware Update for S9? - me50 - 02-03-2014

(02-02-2014, 08:48 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Is it possible to update the firmware on the S9?

OMM

I can't say for sure because there isn't enough info from you, but, it could be the settings in the program you are using (ResScan and/or SleepyHead).

When you look at the LCD on your machine, what data does it give you?

RE: Firmware Update for S9? - vsheline - 02-03-2014

(02-02-2014, 08:48 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Is it possible to update the firmware on the S9?

OMM

Hi OMyMyOHellYes,

If your machine is under warranty (in other words, if it was manufactured less than about 27 months ago) you may be able to have it sent back for repair and receive a loaner in the meantime.

You can call ResMed Customer Support, give them the model number (REF#) and serial number from the back of the blower unit (not humidifier) and they will tell you how old it is and whether it is under warranty, and in addition one of their technical support technicians may be willing to walk you through the problems you are having with the machine, to see if it needs repair.

In any case, ResMed does not do business with individual patients, only with Durable Medical Equipment (DME) providers, so all returns to ResMed for service (even if there is no charge) would need to be sent in by a DME. (Any DME can send a machine in; it does not need to be the DME who originally sold the product to the original end user.)

By the way, I think it unlikely that treatment effectiveness is different between newer versus older versions of firmware for the same type machine. The treatment algorithms have not changed in years.

In general, I think the newer versions of firmware support newer, cheaper and possibly better (or worse) components on the PCB board or support newer PCB versions.

Newer versions of firmware would not necessarily support older boards.

So a newer firmware version may destroy the machine. (Only ResMed would know.)

If nothing is found wrong that would warrant a repair you can still ask if the firmware on the machine you are using can be upgraded to a newer version. My guess would be no, not unless a bug which affects treatment had been found in the machine's firmware (not likely) and new firmware version is available which will work on your particular machine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

RE: Firmware Update for S9? - vsheline - 02-03-2014

(02-02-2014, 08:48 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Bad issues getting the unit to record and regurgitate data.

Hi OMM,

Have you tried reformatting or replacing the SD card?

Any full size (not mini or micro) 2GB SD card should work. I bought a package of two at Walmart for around #11 last year.

Some older machines will not work with SD cards which are larger than 2GB.

Don't get a micro SD card and an adapter, because they are flimsy and will not last long, if they work at all.

RE: Firmware Update for S9? - OMyMyOHellYes - 02-04-2014

It doesn't have to be broke to fix it.

I just want the most updated version.

RE: Firmware Update for S9? - me50 - 02-04-2014

I have never seen where they upgrade the firmware on a machine. YMMV

RE: Firmware Update for S9? - GreyParrot - 02-04-2014

It looks a though it would have to be done with a JTAG, so I seriously
doubt that you'll be able to find the binary anywhere but the factory.
I have read they don't even flash there, they just replace the motherboard.

RE: Firmware Update for S9? - herbm - 02-09-2014

I wonder what OS is it using? Some proprietary software or a version of Linux or some such.....

Resmed is a big user of RedHat Linux in their data center, but likely they aren't using it on the S9 since there isn't an obvious reference to it in Google.