Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] I'm getting a new machine --some questions - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] I'm getting a new machine --some questions (/Thread-Equipment-I-m-getting-a-new-machine-some-questions)

Pages: 1 2

I'm getting a new machine --some questions - justMongo - 02-02-2014

I'm getting a ResMed S9 VPAP S as an upgrade from my S8 machine.
Yeah!

I'm curious what size and speed category SD Card is used.
I have a number of SD cards from 2GB to 32 GB and some are cat4 SDHC and some are cat2.

Plus, what format? NTFS or Fat32 or?
I think my computer can only format these cards as FAT32.

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - DeepBreathing - 02-02-2014

G'day Mongo

Congrats on the upgrade! The card in my VPAP Adapt is a Resmed branded 2Gb. I don't know what the speed rating is, but it is formatted to FAT32. I think it's probably preferable to let the machine format the card, rather than doing it in the computer. Similar to some digital cameras, there can occasionally be issues with computer-formatted cards. (Apparently Win 8.1 is extremely problematic in this regard). I always lock the card before inserting into the computer, so that only my PAP machine ever writes to it.

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - me50 - 02-02-2014

What is the difference in ResMed S9 VPAP S and Resmed S9 VPAP Auto? Congrats on your new machine!

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - trish6hundred - 02-02-2014

Hi justMongo,
CONGRATULATIONS on your new machine.
My cards are 2gb.
I think they store plenty of data.

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - DeepBreathing - 02-03-2014

(02-02-2014, 11:45 PM)me50 Wrote: What is the difference in ResMed S9 VPAP S and Resmed S9 VPAP Auto? Congrats on your new machine!

As I understand it, the VPAP S maintains a constant (pre-set) IPAP and EPAP while the VPAP Auto can adjust these automatically. It's like the difference between an Elite and AutoSet.

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/vpap_series/vpap-series.html?nc=dealers

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - justMongo - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 12:03 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 11:45 PM)me50 Wrote: What is the difference in ResMed S9 VPAP S and Resmed S9 VPAP Auto? Congrats on your new machine!

As I understand it, the VPAP S maintains a constant (pre-set) IPAP and EPAP while the VPAP Auto can adjust these automatically. It's like the difference between an Elite and AutoSet.

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/vpap_series/vpap-series.html?nc=dealers
Perhaps I should be getting the Auto -- not too late to change.

Thanks all for the info on SD cards. Sounds like a 2GB cat 2 card will work. I'm running Windows XP SP3 on this computer. I bought this machine in 2009 and paid extra to not have Windows Vista on it.

It's a high end machine with dual drive in RAID mirror, a Q6600 Quad core processor... yada, yada. I'd have to spend about 3 grand for a WIN7 or WIN8 machine with comparable hardware. Then I'd need to find the secret to getting the classical interface on WIN7 or 8.

IMHO: WIN8 with the tiles and touch screen in going to be another Vista -- a flop; except for the kids who don't get the value of a mouse and keyboard.

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - justMongo - 02-03-2014

I believe I should get the RESMED VPAP AUTO.
It can be set to BiPAP S mode. But has the flexibility to be switch to auto.

(An AUTOSET is an inferior machine as far as flexibility, correct?)

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - DeepBreathing - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 07:34 AM)justMongo Wrote: I believe I should get the RESMED VPAP AUTO.

The VPAP machines allow a different pressure to be set for inhalation and expiration (IPAP and EPAP). With the Autoset, you set the IPAP only, with a maximum expiration relief (EPR) of 3. So if you're operating at a high pressure, the VPAP will enable you to have a far more comfortable time.

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - Peter_C - 02-03-2014

Congrats on the new machine Smile

RE: I'm getting a new machine --some questions - PaytonA - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 08:02 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 07:34 AM)justMongo Wrote: I believe I should get the RESMED VPAP AUTO.

The VPAP machines allow a different pressure to be set for inhalation and expiration (IPAP and EPAP). With the Autoset, you set the IPAP only, with a maximum expiration relief (EPR) of 3. So if you're operating at a high pressure, the VPAP will enable you to have a far more comfortable time.

I do not know for sure about the S9 machines but my S8 VPAP Auto 25 will operate in the following modes:
CPAP
Auto
S(Spontaneous)
S/T (Spontaneous/Timed)
T (Timed)

So it is quite adaptable to one's needs.

Best Regards,

PaytonA