Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
I'm new. Hi all - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: I'm new. Hi all (/Thread-I-m-new-Hi-all)

Pages: 1 2 3

I'm new. Hi all - Franklyspeaking - 02-07-2014

I have snored for a few years now. I have no insurance and had read and tried to educate myself as to what I could do to stop the snoring.

I purchased a new Resmed S9 auto set outright for $675, it included the humidifier n pillow mask which I don't use, I like the nasal gel mask best. I started out with a 4-10 setting. My Hl started out at 1.5 which I found out was pretty good. Last night after lots of rain out my Hl was 2.8.

The only problem I have is that I get rainout with my heated hose. I keep my room very cold 55-60 degrees in the winter. I even have put a snuggle hose over the heated hose. I use the humidifier set at 80 degrees. I'm about ready to go back to not using the heated hose or the humidifier, because the first night I used it I had no problems. I keep reading that the heated hose stops the rain out so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I love my APAP over all I feel so much more rested and I don't drink water through the night or make several trips to the bathroom. No dry mouth in the mornings yeah!

Anyway I love the stories, I'm sure I'll keep learning more. I hope one day to be able to understand all the info on the SD card and the information that is produced in the sleepy software. Sleep-well

RE: I'm new. Hi all - Sleepster - 02-07-2014

It sounds like the heated hose and humidifier settings might need some tweaking. Maybe someone who has that type of machine can help you with that.

RE: I'm new. Hi all - trish6hundred - 02-07-2014

Hi Franklyspeaking,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.

RE: I'm new. Hi all - zonk - 02-07-2014

If you,re using the heated hose (climateline) on auto mode, you can adjust temperature to your preference while protecting against rainout

ClimateLine user instructions http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/documents/product/climateline/user_instructions/368715r2_climateline-climatelinemax_user-instructions_glo_eng.pdf

RE: I'm new. Hi all - Lukie - 02-07-2014

How did you buy a new ResMed S9 without a prescription?

RE: I'm new. Hi all - Tez62 - 02-07-2014

(02-07-2014, 11:37 AM)Franklyspeaking Wrote: I have snored for a few years now. I have no insurance and had read and tried to educate myself as to what I could do to stop the snoring.

I purchased a new Resmed S9 auto set outright for $675, it included the humidifier n pillow mask which I don't use, I like the nasal gel mask best. I started out with a 4-10 setting. My Hl started out at 1.5 which I found out was pretty good. Last night after lots of rain out my Hl was 2.8.

The only problem I have is that I get rainout with my heated hose. I keep my room very cold 55-60 degrees in the winter. I even have put a snuggle hose over the heated hose. I use the humidifier set at 80 degrees. I'm about ready to go back to not using the heated hose or the humidifier, because the first night I used it I had no problems. I keep reading that the heated hose stops the rain out so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I love my APAP over all I feel so much more rested and I don't drink water through the night or make several trips to the bathroom. No dry mouth in the mornings yeah!

Anyway I love the stories, I'm sure I'll keep learning more. I hope one day to be able to understand all the info on the SD card and the information that is produced in the sleepy software. Sleep-well

Welcome Frankly, as Sleepster said it may need some tweaking or go back to the other hose if it works. Make sure the humidifier tank is not too full. With Sleepyhead and any data just work on you AHI and leaks for a start, you want your AHI to be below 5 which yours is and your leaks to be below 24 L, these are the two most important figures, good luck and you seem to be doing well so far without much medical assistance.

RE: I'm new. Hi all - Franklyspeaking - 02-07-2014

I bought it out of a classified ad. I guess when medical supplies go out of business their supplies can be bought out.

RE: I'm new. Hi all - Franklyspeaking - 02-07-2014

I'll have to try setting the actual tempature on the hose. I had already set the temp on humidifier to 80.

Thanks for the link. I learned something new on adjusting the temp on the hose. Thanks

RE: I'm new. Hi all - herbm - 02-07-2014

So you didn't get a sleep study or know your untreated AHI?

I think it is great you may be using it for just snoring rather than apnea per se -- as long as you don't mind it then go for it.

Chances are you do have some apnea but you wouldn't know without some type of test and the machine isn't harmful beyond the inconvenience.

Like me, you seem to take to the mask right off so if the rainout is fixed you might be good to go.

Rather than worry about the heated hose you might want to just stop humidifying.

An expert on another forum said to turn the heat up for a situation like yours (and that was experience talking) but logically the higher you set that heat on the S9 the more water you put in the air and the more chance the TEMPERATURE drop will cause rain out.

You have a LARGE room vs. temp differential and I still suspect this may invalidate the typical advice (but I am no expert being a newbie like you -- 7 days so far -- but I do have a lot of background in pressure and such from both diving and meteorology studies.

If you put NO WATER in the room air then you MIGHT get very dry but it also might not rain in your hose -- or if you put a LITTLE(low temperature or switch to manual humidity setting) then you MIGHT control the problem.

The S9 is suppose to load more water the higher the temperature -- heat the air passing across the water, load more water. Now the air is hotter than the room and much more full of water -- when the temp drops passing through the hose (maybe because even the heated hose can't keep up or maybe just the pigtail on your mask) then the dew point is reached and you get rain.

Does you hose cozy cover the mask pigtail hose?

Can you keep the mask hose UNDER the COVERS with you? Or cover/insulate it a bit?

What type of pillow mask did you get? I might want it Smile?

RE: I'm new. Hi all - Sleepster - 02-07-2014

You could set the machine on the lowest pressure possible (4 cm H2O) and monitor your OA index. If it goes above 5 you know you need the machine.

A sleep study is still recommended to rule out other problems, and as a much more definitive test.