Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
auto pap V auto bipap? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: auto pap V auto bipap? (/Thread-auto-pap-V-auto-bipap)

auto pap V auto bipap? - sleepinglass - 03-24-2012

I was just wondering if anybody can advise me. I have just purchased a bipap auto. I am used to using a an auto pap.

If I set the bipap auto on its auto setting will it work like my auto bipap?
Oh-jeez

RE: auto pap V auto bipap? - PaulaO2 - 03-24-2012

I would assume so. Bi-pap and Auto are two different things.

Bi-pap (a trade name) is where the inhale is one pressure and the exhale is another. For example, your exhale could be 9 and your inhale would be 12. Where it differs from other similar methods is that it can be set to be more than 3 points apart (as in 7 and 12). This setting does not change unless you physically change it.

Auto is where the higher setting adjusts to where your body needs it. You give it a range limit. For example, if you know you rarely go over 12, you would set the high point to be 13 and the low to be where you need it to be for exhale. The low would not change but the high would vary depending on your need.

Where your machine works is it can do both. I read a little about it just now but I didn't understand much!

As for what to set it to, put it on Auto until you can read the manual and/or talk with the supplier. Or someone here can answer more directly.

RE: auto pap V auto bipap? - Netskier - 03-25-2012

(03-24-2012, 10:48 PM)sleepinglass Wrote: I was just wondering if anybody can advise me. I have just purchased a bipap auto. I am used to using a an auto pap.

If I set the bipap auto on its auto setting will it work like my auto bipap?
Oh-jeez

Yes, plus you have a greater range that you can set the difference between your inhalation and exhalation pressures (high and low).

RE: auto pap V auto bipap? - sleepinglass - 03-25-2012

(03-24-2012, 11:23 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I would assume so. Bi-pap and Auto are two different things.

Bi-pap (a trade name) is where the inhale is one pressure and the exhale is another. For example, your exhale could be 9 and your inhale would be 12. Where it differs from other similar methods is that it can be set to be more than 3 points apart (as in 7 and 12). This setting does not change unless you physically change it.

Auto is where the higher setting adjusts to where your body needs it. You give it a range limit. For example, if you know you rarely go over 12, you would set the high point to be 13 and the low to be where you need it to be for exhale. The low would not change but the high would vary depending on your need.

Where your machine works is it can do both. I read a little about it just now but I didn't understand much!

As for what to set it to, put it on Auto until you can read the manual and/or talk with the supplier. Or someone here can answer more directly.

Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry just realised my initial post had typos! Sorry!

I am feeling very chicken as I know very little about bipap. I have purchased a respironics M Series Bipap Auto. My other machine is an older Respironics Remstar Auto which I have had form when they first came out. However in the morning I often wake up feeling as if I have been kicked by a donkey in the stomach and am full of air.

On my auto pap my pressure hovers around 13 and often rises to 18 even 20.

So my question is, when and if I find a way of setting my auto bipap to simple straight forward auto, I am wondering if that is that quite safe to do, even though I currently have no idea about my inhale or exhale pressure is?

Is there a danger of the machine running away withitself if I do not set upper or lower overall pressure limits which is what usually happens if I use a resmed auto pap.
Thanks again

RE: auto pap V auto bipap? - PaulaO2 - 03-25-2012

The air is probably because the pressure has changed from one machine to another.

Did you buy this machine online or from a local dealer?

Did you download the manual for it yet? Not quite sure where those files are located. I *think* in the Private Files area. As a member you have access to them.

There's a lot of people here who use that machine and can hold your hand as you explore it. The machine, not their hand. Laugh-a-lot

RE: auto pap V auto bipap? - SuperSleeper - 03-25-2012

sleepinglass,

The CPAP Clinician Setup Manuals we currently have are listed on this page:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

Some are available via direct download (Section 2), others via email request (see the directions in Section 3 for those).

Your BiPAP Auto M series is available by direct download in Section 3 of that page.

Smile

RE: auto pap V auto bipap? - sleepinglass - 03-25-2012

(03-25-2012, 08:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The air is probably because the pressure has changed from one machine to another.

Did you buy this machine online or from a local dealer?

Did you download the manual for it yet? Not quite sure where those files are located. I *think* in the Private Files area. As a member you have access to them.

There's a lot of people here who use that machine and can hold your hand as you explore it. The machine, not their hand. Laugh-a-lot

My machine arrived a few days ago and I have not used it as yet. Need info to make sure it is safe for me to use it.

I bought it on line,as I cannot afford the system one remstar which I would prefer, as I think it is an all together more sophisticated machine.

I now have the manual,which is brilliant, however would not mind some guidance from some one who has used this particular m series bipap auto if there are still people who own and still use it.

I see it is no longer being sold,so hoping to learn before they totally go out of circulation.
Many thanks for any input