Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Nasal irritation - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Nasal irritation (/Thread-Nasal-irritation)

Pages: 1 2

Nasal irritation - eviltim - 02-15-2014

So, I use nasal pillows and have developed constant, low grade irritation on the skin around my nose. It doesn't bother me but the skin around my nares is rather red and flaky and it stings when I get saline spray on it.

I already use lanolin during the night. I know what we can use with the silicone pillows is limited, anything else I can try? Or maybe lanolin at night and something heavier duty during the day?

I'm also going to try going down a pillow size and see if that doesn't help.

RE: Nasal irritation - big_dave - 02-15-2014

You could try using an alternate mask of a different style until the skin on your nose has a chance to heal. I ran into trouble with irritation from my Activa nasal mask a few weeks ago when I caught the flu and I had to spend a lot of time in bed. I switched to the Optilife pillows mask for a few nights. The Optilife is less than ideal for me, but it has entirely different points of contact on your face, so I was glad to have it.

RE: Nasal irritation - Galactus - 02-15-2014

I have been using vasoline, light coating on my nostril skin, seems to be working just fine.

RE: Nasal irritation - Sandra_ON - 02-15-2014

I had the same problem the first night I used the nasal pillows so I used another mask for a week or so, went back to the nasal pillows and it hasn't been a problem. I don't know for sure but I think vaseline will break down the material that the pillows are made from.

RE: Nasal irritation - Galactus - 02-15-2014

I hadn't heard vasoline was an issue with nasal pillows, but I will keep an eye on my mask. Honestly though I use the most minuscule amount. It doesn't take much to make your nose feel better when it gets a bit rough just a very thin light rub on and then into the skin. Thanks for that information though.

RE: Nasal irritation - zonk - 02-15-2014

Vasoline is petroleum based product, wear out silicone cushions and not recommended for your nose. lanolin products are safer

Edit: From Mayo Clinic - http://www.mayoclinic.org/petroleum-jelly/expert-answers/FAQ-20057784
Petroleum jelly is generally safe to use. Rarely, however, inhaling fat-based substances (lipoids) — such as petroleum jelly or mineral oil — for prolonged periods can cause lung problems

RE: Nasal irritation - eviltim - 02-15-2014

(02-15-2014, 02:41 PM)big_dave Wrote: You could try using an alternate mask of a different style until the skin on your nose has a chance to heal. I ran into trouble with irritation from my Activa nasal mask a few weeks ago when I caught the flu and I had to spend a lot of time in bed. I switched to the Optilife pillows mask for a few nights. The Optilife is less than ideal for me, but it has entirely different points of contact on your face, so I was glad to have it.

That's definitely a good idea. I wish I had a nasal style mask lying around I could use. I have a full face mask but I don't like it because it farts air everywhere.

RE: Nasal irritation - Peter_C - 02-16-2014

This was suggested to me by a forum member, and I used it while still using the nasal pillows, and while gross feeling wearing it at the same time as the nasal pillows, put it on heavy - I went from bloody/scabby, to totally healed

Got it on Amazon: "Lansinoh HPA Laolin Lanolina HPA" - I know you said you already tried 'Lanolin', but perhaps there is something different about this? It won't hurt masks at all, and feels like Vaseline as you put it on. I use a Q-tip and coat all around both the inside and outside of each nare, and it took less than a week to go from bleeding to healed.

RE: Nasal irritation - eviltim - 02-16-2014

Yep, that's the stuff I'm using. I usually just use my finger (gross I know) and push it around. I'll try a more thorough coating tonight.

RE: Nasal irritation - Peter_C - 02-16-2014

I was in the 'ya sure, whatever I have will work', camp for the longest time. But it got so painful, and a few on this forum was talking about how this stuff really works - so I bought a tube, and faithfully used it morning and night, and it took like 4-5 days - bingo bango, poof~! All better~~