Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Couldn't take a deep breath - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Couldn't take a deep breath (/Thread-Couldn-t-take-a-deep-breath)

Pages: 1 2

Couldn't take a deep breath - Sandra_ON - 02-17-2014

I woke up this morning and found I was unable to take a deep breath, don't know how long that had occurred overnight but this was around 7 a.m. My AHI was .3 so that was better than it's been the last few days. Two hours later I'm still having a problem taking a deep breath. Anxiety?

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - me50 - 02-17-2014

(02-17-2014, 09:04 AM)Sandra_ON Wrote: I woke up this morning and found I was unable to take a deep breath, don't know how long that had occurred overnight but this was around 7 a.m. My AHI was .3 so that was better than it's been the last few days. Two hours later I'm still having a problem taking a deep breath. Anxiety?

Hard to say if it is anxiety. If I had problems taking a deep breath and had no other symptoms indicating anxiety, then I would be calling my doc. Would rather find out it is nothing after having it checked out rather than not checking it out and it be something. JMHO.

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - drgrimes - 02-17-2014

Sandra did you still have the mask on when you experienced this feeling? I think that when your body gets used to cpap during the night sometimes it feels like it's hardly working. My DME laughed when I told him that. He said "that's a good thing, you are just getting used to it"

If you have this feeling after you take your mask off, I also think that might be normal. Your body has gotten used to having air pushed into your lungs all night and possibly after being awake for a few minutes you body will adjust and it will feel right.

I doubt that it's anything to worry about, especially if that feeling passes quickly.

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - me50 - 02-17-2014

drgrimes, I agree with what you are saying. the machine feeds us with a pressure(s) while we are sleeping.

My concern is that Sandra_ON says that the deep breathing is still an issue 2 hours later. Your thoughts on this still happening 2 hours later?

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - retired_guy - 02-17-2014

My experience with being unable to take a deep breath is it is rather because of old air trapped in the lungs. Try a technique of "pursed" breathing for a few minutes. That's where you breath out in little puffs between your lips until your lungs feel empty before you take a new breath.

I think it would be wise to discuss it with your doc anyhow, even if that provides relief.

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - herbm - 02-17-2014

Two hours later?

Trouble taking a deep breath, especially hours later, is not a side effect that I have heard about for CPAP.

Call the doctor. It if becomes serious go to the ER.

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - Peter_C - 02-17-2014

Umm, when you say you *can't* take a deep breath - what do you mean? What happens when you try? Does it hurt? If so, what type of pain? Sharp? Dull? More details please?

This happened to me one day - had nothing to do with my machine - I would get like a 9+ sharp stabbing pain up by my right shoulder - went to the ER thinking they would laugh at me - Never had so many Drs and nurses around me so fast - "Multiple PEs" (blood clots in the lungs)...

Not saying that is what is going on here but...more info may need to see a Doc fast??

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - Sandra_ON - 02-17-2014

[quote='Peter_C' pid='59267' dateline='1392659993']
Umm, when you say you *can't* take a deep breath - what do you mean? What happens when you try? Does it hurt? If so, what type of pain? Sharp? Dull? More

I have no pain, just can't take a deep full breath although I think it seems better than earlier today.

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - Peter_C - 02-17-2014

Well, I know some folks talk about being sore when they first go on the machine, but not being able to take a deep breath? Going through what I have, I'd be at least calling my Doc about it - but, that's just me...

RE: Couldn't take a deep breath - c0reDump - 02-17-2014

Not saying that what you are experiencing is this, but there is a condition called Pneumothorax.

From Wikipedia:
A pneumothorax (pl. pneumothoraces) is an abnormal collection of air or gas in the pleural space that separates the lung from the chest wall and which may interfere with normal breathing.

If you can't breathe normally you should really call your doctor (or get to the ER).