Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
sleep study - knocking you out - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: sleep study - knocking you out (/Thread-sleep-study-knocking-you-out)

sleep study - knocking you out - zonk - 03-26-2012

[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]
Aug 19 2005
...................................................................................................
coco wrote:
Has anybody ever been knocked out for a sleep study?
The doctors are telling me for my 3rd sleep study they want to knock me out.
They say my apnea is so severe that they can not get any real results with the CPAP on.
One thing that worries me is that I can not sleep on my back at all anymore. I wake up every minute with a gasp for air, been this way for years.
so when they put the CPAP on the something happens, that gasp, put it does seem like I last a few more minutes instead of every minute waking up.
What I told the doctor is to go ahead and do it, But please keep me alive.
I am hoping for a good nights sleep.
I was wondering do they take more precautions being they are puting you out?
or can anybody give me any advice on what I should do? The sleep doctor also told me to go see a ENT that I might need a combination of surgery and CPAP.
What I would give for 8 hours of sleep!!!!
...................................................................................................
coco wrote:
Well I had the test. Very disappointed
maybe two to three hours of sleep even with the sleeping pill.
I was hoping for something a little more powerful, that it would really knock me out.
Went and saw the ENT no help either. He informed me about the only thing he could do is a trach.
life sucks, know I get to wait another three weeks to hear the sleep study results.
The only hope is that they found something that will help!!
I wish I could get someone to understand that I can not keep this up!!!
Work, staying sane and sleep that is like going to hell.
reedstein wrote:
Coco,

I can sure identify with your plight. I haven't had a sleep dr really "do anything" for me for 2 years and the pulmonologist wants to do a trach. I don't understand how he can recommend a trach when he has not done a sleep study. The trach is not an option.

I will see my general dr next Weds., he says I should have a gastric bypass and my problems will be solved. Insurance won't cover it, so that's not an option. Weds. will be a show down for me, I'll nicely ask to be sent to a certified sleep doctor and if he says no, THERE WILL BE NO MISTER NICE GUY ANYMORE!!! I will demand it or really make a scene so he will know I'm serious. My sleep is so poor right now I don't see where I have any quality of life. I am worse now than when I had to quit work in March 2003. Oh, of course, our dear government SSA still has not set a hearing date for SSDI and I am in serious debt because SSA has drawn this out to 2 1/2 years now.

I've been polite, up until now, that has not worked with the doctors, it is time to take drastic action to get their attention.

Mike
Jean wrote:
Wow! I pulled up this forum in desperation and your letter was right at the top. I wouldn't have thought any oneone else was haivng this problem. I have used a CPAP for years but have recently started snoring which I had not ever really done before, plus feeling really tired. No weight gain or anything. Experimented around a litle and found I can no longer exhale through my nose, AT ALL, when lying down. The heck of it is you are supposed to keep your mouth closed when using the C-PAP. So now I am really confused. I have an appointment with an ENT later this month and hope there is something simple they can do. I have heard of using laser surgury to soften up tissues and reform them. I am very afraid of haivng to have a trach, but I cannot go on like this. I am finding it a little difficult to volantarily swallow unless I am eating something to trigger it. It is like I have to really think about it and maybe even turn my head a little. I am afraid of the tracheotomy option, but would have to accept it if it is the only way I can sleep and breathe both. I don't sleep well sitting up either. Will keep you posted if I find an option.